Just got some new downriggers :)

I got a great deal on some electronic down riggers.

Id like to test them out on Bay of Quinte trolling for some walleye. Can anybody give me some beginner tips? I am a rookie when it comes to downrigging, and any info to get me off on the right foot would be appreciated.

Thanks guys

Not sure what you want to know...I don't think riggers are a popular way to present to Walleye? Are they?

You need to be aware of where the bottom is. Basically with riggers it comes to how far down and how far back...I fishied Lake O last night and was pulling spoons 50-75 feet back and putting them down 20-30 feet with the downriggers...

Don't need downrigger for QuinteWalleye now. You only need worm Harness rig.

Suggest you go lake Simcoe to fish laker using downrigger next weekend. It's probably a good start.

Edited by linweir

Riggers are a productive method for BOQ.. Deep divers on planner boards or a shallow running bait on a rigger at 20 feet.. either way. Just stay above 30 feet with your baits unless you plan on keeping on every fish.

Make sure you have the good clips . run lures 10 15 or 20 feet away from the ball. speed is the big thing for walleyes no more then 1 1/2 miles per hour . For lakers you can go up to 3 miles per hour . you should be able to see your ball on your fish finder . I can on mine and it makes it easyer to know wear the bottom and the ball is at all times . You will see the fish on your finder and know wear to set your ball's depth. SPEED IS THE REAL KEY . O and run a 10 pound ball you want the ball to go straight down not running out the back behind the motor. Your fish finder will pick up the ball better also. GOOD LUCK .

SPEED IS THE KEY !!.

Edited by mrpike

HI MIKE IAM on holidays starting next friday. I was thinking of trying for some lakers on simcoe sometime next week. I can only do short trip now days !. I will let you know how I make out if I get out on simcoe. I got my boat ready to go last week end . SO iam ready to go SUNDAY maybe the best day for me to go.BUT i need to see the weather before i make my move. I will post on how I make out .

mr pike.