Best Bass Bait?

LegitFish

Does anyone use those topwater frog buzzbaits? I think there from Rebel, with the back legs working like propeller kicking up water. Its not my favourite bass lure but man is it fun, and a producer for anything. If ya dont have one go to crappie tire and grab one . Its a blast!

lol, I have one of those. On Rainy river at least, it hasn't produced one fish, lol. I always wondered why though, the action looks awesome to me anyways. But If I take it off and toss a live target frog/similar frogs, bam! right away.

Now that dam spinner is for the kids cause they still think its fun to use, and if it doesn't snag, thats good for daddy too!

My favorite bass baits...

Rapala DT 10 minnow pattern

Rapala Flat rap Firetiger (deadly for pike as well)

Jig n' pig

6" salted Yum worms, black silver fleck, texas rigged or wacky style on a 3/8 oz. black jig

Black and silver slated Yum grubs on 3/8 oz black or pink jig

Edited by manitoubass2

What Roy said, but probably a lot more fish on a 6 inch plastic worm since the early 70`s than anything else. A lot of fish on a lot of different lures, but I almost always had a rod rigged with a worm. Favorite would be a 6 inch Zoom u tail in Junebug.

Er... for smallies? tubes.

Roy is bang on as usual.

Way to many variables to give one certain lure. Picture it like this.. you have to be sure to get whatever bait they want in the fishes face. And for the right amount of time.

If you go to a country line dancing bar to meet a fine lady wearing your popped Polo lime green golf shirt and skin tight khaki pants with sperry topsiders and doing your best MC hammer on the dance floor... well, you may not get bit. However, switch to other certain locales with the same getup, you'd probably have a good chance. :)

If I had to pick one.. ole' Pig and Jig.

Edited by Harrison

There are lots of great Bass lures. Many have been listed here already. My personal favourite in the early season is a plastic toad/frog.

However I will bet that more bass are caught on plastic worms than all other baits combined!

If I have to produce fish, day-in-day-out a 5" plastic worm is what I want.

You can fish it weightless, Texas rig it, drag it on a jig shaky style, cast or bounce or drag and swim it weighted Carolina style, nose hook it and fish it over the weeds and slop, hook it wacky under a bobber, put it on a worm harness and cast or troll it...etc. etc. etc.

5am. calm waters dying flutter from heddon lures. nothing beats the swirl and the big jump.

This brings me back to the end of August 2009 when I caught my biggest largemouth on a popper, aside from tv this is the best way to of captured it....word for word pictures and video...check it out 1:58min long..it's good ;)

http://s284.photobucket.com/albums/ll5/MCTFisher/?action=view&current=PBBass.mp4

Crazy crawler

Hoola popper

6" rapella floating pertch with a small split shot 24" up

skitter pop

And of course live bait always works best

WATERDAWG

If any one has any they dont use or want let me know (discontinude about 15yrs ago) I will pay 10 bucks a piece

The classics...

Mepps Aglia Long #3 is a fall to for when nothing else is working and there are plenty others that I love, tube jigs, yum dingers, Chug bug for top water. There are to many all have there times that are very productive and another isn't also depends on Smallie or Large but there are to many for me to name off lol. Also Square bill crankbaits are great.

for the last 3 seasons it's been a Zarra Super Spook in Baby Bass pattern. nothing beats that topwater strike :thumbsup_anim:

I'm old shool.... Jitterbug leopard green pattern :D

Most effective bait? Re-read what Roy said.

Most fun is another matter. For me, that's anything on the surface. For smallmouth, that would be a Heddon Tiny Torpedo. For buckets, probably a buzzbait.

There is so much that is effective according to conditions. As Mr. Ritchie says i too am stuck on topwaters most of the season. The Heddon Spittin Image specifically is my favourite topwater by far. The frog Jitterbug and small Zara Spooks have also been good.

I love top water baits for SMB...that surface smash always gets my heart racing like nothing else. My "go to" is a Zara spook or a similar walking style bait by Excalibur that I believe is called a "Sammy"...most walkers are good so I'm eager to try out the Live Target frogs I just got. Bring on the last week end in June!!!!!