serial number on mercury motor

Rizzo

I have a 15 hp 2 stroke mercury where the serial number starts with 83....so I assume this is a 1983 engine. Someone I spoke to (possibly a moron) told me mercury did not make 15's until later in the 80's. The last 2 digits are 89, he seemed to think this was more likely. Is this guy full of it? The reason it matters is I'm about to sell it and would like to accurately reflect the age. The good news is she just fired up on with no problem, pee'd like a racehorse, and a screw that I thought was stripped was actually just too short. Got a longer screw and now the lower unit is sealed up tight...if I hadn't already bought a newer motor last week (2006) I would be keeping it!

nuts...looked at the link Roy provided and the serial number which starts 083 doesn't seem to show up in the chart. Did google pictures of various merc motors and it doesn't look like an '83, looks like an 89...at least the cowling does!

nuts...looked at the link Roy provided and the serial number which starts 083 doesn't seem to show up in the chart. Did google pictures of various merc motors and it doesn't look like an '83, looks like an 89...at least the cowling does!

That "83" you're looking at is probably "B3" . That would make it an '89.

that's why you get the big bucks Roy! Looking at it in my dimly lit garage probably pretty easy to mistake a B for an 8! Thanks again, when I wipe the sleep out of my eyes I'll go have another peek.

Naw, go to princess Auto, they have reading glasses for $2.99 :devil: