Gibson Lake Water Levels

NAW

I'm gunna be in the Gibson Lake area May 24 weekend. I've never been on the lake that early in the season.

Does anyone know what the water levels are usually like that time of year?

I'd like to take the river down under the 400, but I'm not sure how fast the water will be moving through there. Might be tough.

Any details would be great. Thanks!

Level should be quite high I imagine. I am always there late June and it is still up. I can get my boatinto the shallow bay just before the 400 overpass at that time. My buddy said there were some good rapids through there though a couple years ago around that time and they overturned their canoe. A bit cold and wet but everyone was fine. I will try and get hold of him and ask him about water levels.

Thanks Guys,

I ran my 14' tinner down there in Sept last year.

I had to walk it back up the channel under the 400 with my motor out of the water. Same as the other rapids further down.

If the water level is to high, I won't be able to pull her back up. Going down is fine, but coming back will probly be an issue by the sounds of it.

forget the water levels, your bigger concern will be black flies at that time of year. I have a "no muskokas until June" policy for that reason...and I have a cottage up there!

... shouldn't you be out fishing? Sure, the flies are terrifying, but at least we have the lake to ourselves! I have yet to have a black fly conquer my weekend, but you are right, it is quite the scene on a Saturday morning when the thousands of vehicles evacuate the north back to the cities. It's like rush hour.

I can say that Gibson River is typically higher than usual during the long weekend. I'm uncertain as to the specifics though. This is just my observation traveling frequently over that water on the 400.

Enjoy the long weekend. It will be a blast, with or without the flies (depending on how thick your skin is!). If the river is too high, perhaps just take the road directly to the lake.

If the river is too high, perhaps just take the road directly to the lake.

There used to be a place to park and lauch onto the lower part of the Gibson River, down river from the 400. But last I herd it was gatted up for cottagers only, and they have started ticketing people who park there.

If the waters`s to high, I`ll just fish Gibson Lake. Never fished it in the spring, could be a good time.