What Braid Are You Using ?

4x4bassin

It's that time to start spooling up the reels and was just wondering what the majority here use for braid.I have tried fireline

and didn't like it and so the last several years I have been using power pro which I like.I am hearing alot of good things about

the new suffix braid and was thinking about switching from power pro to suffix. Has anyone here used suffix braid and what did

you think about it ?

Thanks

I'm using suffix on one of my spools right now. At first I was pleased at how quiet and smooth it was. but after about a month or so the green coloring wore off just as much as normal braid.

After trying suffix, power pro, fireline tracer, fireline crystal fuse, spiderwire ez braid,and ugly braid, I'm likely to just buy whatever is on sale now. It's all stronger then you need, zero stretch and fairly abrasion resistant....go with whatever's on sale or just close your eyes and grab a spool :D

Been using power pro for years without any problems.....but just like anything, change can be a good thing. So this year I've spooled a few reels with Suffix 832. Plus, the 1/2 price sale at Canadian Tire a few weeks ago on the Suffix kinda helped with the decision to try change. lol

I've been using suffix 832 now for about 6 weeks on one rod. First up was 15lb, took me a few days to gather how nice it actually was, then had the wife go pick up some more. I forgot to tell her what test, lol, she returned home with 30lb, which is 8lb mono dia. I haven't lost a lure yet, and thats damn good for a month of continous use.

It's very quite through the guides, it casts maybe 2 metres shorter than the same rod set up I have with 8lb mono on it.

I haven't noticed any colour fade as of yet, but then again I'm not really all that concerned over the color.

I will more than likely use this line on some of my other set ups that currently have power pro and spiderwire camo braid.

Knot strength is great so far as well, no issues with fraying, the line sinks faster than other braids (although not quite like mono).

Over all I'd say give it a try, it's never stopped an angler before! lol

Fireline Crystal for the spinning rods and Suffix Performance braid on the baitcaster. I did pick up some Suffix 832 which will find it's way onto my Calais this year.. Looking forward to it.

80lb PowerPro on the muskie rigg.

I bought a spool of Spider Thread 50lb and I am not happy with it. I used it trolling in the cold a month or so ago when I caught a brown out on Lake O. I think I was out 1 or 2 other times and the line has lost half of it's color...already.

Not impressed, will be putting power pro or possibly Suffix back on this summer.

I've used power pro for years and haven't had any problems.

Tip for those of you that are losing their colour quickly. Grab a Sharpie of your choice of colour and cut a slit in the tip, put your line in the slit and reel it through - line is like brand new and doesn't fade significantly. You only have to do it with the last 10-20 feet as that's the only portion the fish see anyway.

Edited by Dutch

I have used most of the major brands.

In ascending order I like Fireline Tracer, Powerpro Hollow Ace and the new Sufix 832 braids.

I have 40 pound Hollow Ace on most of my casting reels and 30 pound 832 on one reel for test purposes. I still run Fluoro and Mono on a couple of casting reels for top-water's and deep diver's.

There is 10 pound 832 on all but one spinning reels. That one still has Tracer braid in 15 pound test.

I still like the visibility of Tracer for Senko type worms.

Has anyone out there been able to find the 832 in Neon Lime? That's the colour that I want most.

Anyways, Tuf-lineXP, Daiwa Samurai Braid(Very smooth, handles very well), Fireline Braid(Very smooth also, but is prone to wind knots), P-line Spectrex has been nice to me over the last few years.

Spiderwire Invisibraid looks cool, but seems kind of thick, but handles ok....Tufline Duracast sucks.

I had nothing but unexplained break-offs with Spiderwire Invisabraid.

I returned what was left and Pure Fishing sent me another 300 yards...It was just as bad!!!

I wouldn't give it to my worst enemy.

Dang ! I just put Flourobraid and stealth on 2 of my rods.I hope i dont have the same problemwallbash.gif