Grass carp

mike rousseau

Did anybody else know that grass carp are in Ontario???

Somebody got a 40lb grass carp in the st.Lawrence river today...

My friend saw it... It was a grass carp... The guy kept it for some reason...

Incidental catch...

Some biologist found a Tilapia stuck in one of his capturing pens. On the Grand river.

Doesn't mean there is a wild population, may just mean some one let one go, it escaped so on and so forth..

Incidental catch...

Some biologist found a Tilapia stuck in one of his capturing pens. On the Grand river.

Doesn't mean there is a wild population, may just mean some one let one go, it escaped so on and so forth..

5-6 years ago i caught this in the grand :dunno:...

000_0020.jpg

Did anybody else know that grass carp are in Ontario???

In 1997 I caught a 28 lb grass carp in Grenadier Pond , Toronto. Weight, pictures and release. Sent the picture to MNR and found out was the sixth grass carp caught in Ontario that time.

Edited by peterc

000_0020.jpg

Looks like a Koi to me or some sort of hybrid.

But this ainèt no grass carp. Infact a bunch of ponds in the GTA are chocked full of Koi that people have either let go, or someone has intentionally released for angling purposes.

000_0020.jpg

i grew up in brantford.this isnt the first koi caught in that section of the grand and im sure it isnt the last..and if you know brantford,theres a small lake that holds a healthy population of carp and these guys are almost as common as they are in that place...lol either way,a cool little catch!

Edited by bottombouncer

Ya, thats a koi by the looks of it, or as someone mentioned a hybrid. I've seen a dead one in Lake Ontario before near my house. If anyone ever catches one try to keeep it alive and sell it through kijiji, easily get 20 bucks for it that day.

You are the first Canadian that I have seen with a picture of a captured grasser. WTG!

Thank you guys, those days are my best fishing memories.Tons of 10-18 lb common carp but nothing big so I quit fishing High Park. I was looking for real big carp and when I finally found those monsters I never went back. I remember that the grass carp before mine was caught at the mouth of Don River, under the Gardiner Expressway, a fish around 6 lb