VHF / DSC Radios

spincast

So, as someone who just got into big lake fishing last year when I picked up my 16fter, I figured getting a VHF radio would be a good idea, and the DSC calling feature seemed to be a really good idea. Spring fishing show - radioworld special. Ask for some details and advice, end up with a Standard Horizon Eclipse DSC GX 1000S. about $100.00 bucks then I buy an antenna (actually 2, cause after trying the 8 ft on my boat it was just not going to work -see classifieds section). Another $100+. Then I drop $80.00 on the license to operate the radio (ROM-C) that you can only get through your Power Squadron. The radio course spends a fair bit of time discussing the DCS features and mentions the difference between SC 101 versus the D and makes it sound like a very viable option for us pleasure boaters and anglers who want to be safe and economical. At no point was there any discussion regarding some recent changes with regards to the SC 101 type of radio

Well, I just came across this little piece of information from another website:(from the US Coast Guard)

DSC-Equipped Marine Radios Must Meet More Rigorous Technical Standards Beginning March 25, 2011 ***

Beginning on March 25th, 2011, the Federal Communications Commission will prohibit the manufacture, importation, sale and installation of fixed mounted (non-portable) digital selective calling (DSC) equipped marine radios that do not meet the requirements of International Telecommunications Union (ITU-R) Recommendation M.493-11 or higher, and in the case of Class D VHF DSC equipment only, International Electrotechnical Commission (IEC) International Standard 62238. Therefore, after March 25, 2011, radios built to RTCM Standard SC-101 can no longer be manufactured, imported, sold or installed; however, previously-installed radios meeting the older standard may continue to be used. See the
Official Announcement

So while I was on the website, I happened ot notice this little ditty:

*** Special Notice Regarding U.S. Coast Guard MARINE SAFETY ALERT - AUTOMATIC CHANNEL

SWITCHING ON DSC-EQUIPPED RADIOS. ***

Certain models of Digital Selective Calling (DSC) equipped VHF maritime radios will automatically switch from a working channel to Channel 16 upon receipt of a DSC distress alert, distress alert acknowledgment and other DSC calls in which a channel number has been designated. A navigation safety hazard may consequently occur if the radio is being used to maintain a listening watch or to communicate on the designated bridge-to-bridge radiotelephone or vessel traffic services (VTS) monitoring channel. believed to be affected by this Safety Alert. You may manufacturers affected by this announcement here:
List

And of course, my radio just happens to have this feature, and no ability to (that I have discovered yet) to inactivate it.

Now this isn't to say buying an sc-101 is a waste of money (and they should be really cheap now as the US market is now closed to them) - but had I known, I might have dropped an additonal 50 or 75 for a class D.
wallbash.gif

I'm sure some people will tell me I should have known, or I live under a rock if I wasn't aware - but really - if the vendor doesnt tell you when you ask for recommendations (heck he coudl have sold me a more expensive radio!), and the place that has the exclusive authority from the federal government to train, decuate and issue the license doesnt tell you, and you are new to this stuff, how you meant to know?

You bought a radio from a Canadian retailer, for user in Canada, took a course for certification in Canada. American regs do not apply in Canadian waters.

Same reason a camouflage pattern Mustang suit is not approved in Canada. Different regulations.

Unless you are boating primarily in the U.S. I don't see the problem.

Edited by bigugli

Well, a few reasons:

1 there is obviously a safety reason why the US Coast Guard banned the radios, and I bought the radio primarily for safety purposes, although finding out whats working on any gioven day maybe a bit of a bonus too. So, IMO, it would be nice to have those limitations explained to me up front , especially by the authority that licenses individuals to operate them;

2 - the DSC system is a global satelite safety system, and the satelites that support it are owned, partly, by the US. So if the largest US safety overseer, which is an arm of the US government bans theses specific radios, it does beg a question or two about their future viability, opening the possibility that other jurisdictions will follow suit, especially the one which shares the largest amount of border with it food for thought for those considering a purchase in the near future...

3 - this implies that in the not too distant future we can also expect difficulty in getting support for parts and warranty - if the radios aren't made or sold anymore, they become disposable, not repairable.

4 - In several locations the difference between the US and Canada is insignificant distance wise - so for instance, lets say you fish the Niagara River, have a NY fishing permit and you buy a radio which is legal in Canada and want to be able to fish off the bar or in the US side drifts. You may not be able to get a US licence for your SC 101 radio, especially if you are apllying for your first licence, after the March 2011 date. Ditto the Detroit river, and those who hop over the bridge(s) to fish. So now what do you do with the radio? Leave it in and fish anyway, opening yourself up to possible fines and legal ramifications? Take it out when you fish these areas?

Like the rivers we fish, the implications run deeper than the surface appearance. The point of my rant was the fact that at no point was I notified of this.

I don't believe the DSC feature is working on the Great Lakes as yet. It's supposed to come along some time. I've had my VHF with DSC for five years. You must register your boatname and get a MMSC(i think) number.

It's been five years sonce the radio course and things do change and things to work somethime. The DSC feature is agood emergency situation assist.

Hope the Great Lakes get hooked up soon.

Just a comment

David aka Superdad