Anyone build casting decks?

scugpg

I have a relatives boat I want to help them with putting a casting deck on. I was wondering if anyone knows of anyone that does good work in the Kawartha lakes area. I know its not overly difficult, but I'd rather have this done right.

Its a 14' aluminum, I would like a front deck w/door storage, pedastal mount seat (could probably be mounted over the front bench) and something done to make a trolling motor bracket for the bow-mount (and maybe make a small compartment under that plate)

If you know of anyone let me know.

Thanks.

If I can do it anyone can!!!!

Square aluminum cross bars and some wood plus outdoor carpet and it will be as solid as a rock!!!!

Why pay someone??

I did it too and it really isnt that tough("if I can do it anyone can")Mounting the pedestal on the front bench makes for a sturdy seat

If I can do it anyone can!!!!

Square aluminum cross bars and some wood plus outdoor carpet and it will be as solid as a rock!!!!

Why pay someone??

I know guys it isn't too bad....but time is more the issue my friend, and talent is a close second.

Just a thought for you.

When you modify a boat it is suposed to be done to the manufacturers specifications. So you are making an experimental and possibly not legal boat. When you raise the seats it raises the center of gravity and throws off the capacity rating for the boat possibly to dangerous levels. The amount the boat can tip on its side before rolling would be greatly reduced. This would all depend on the boat, but some small tinners are tippy enough as is.

The other thing is what liability might be if it is sold.

Just a thought for you.

When you modify a boat it is suposed to be done to the manufacturers specifications. So you are making an experimental and possibly not legal boat. When you raise the seats it raises the center of gravity and throws off the capacity rating for the boat possibly to dangerous levels. The amount the boat can tip on its side before rolling would be greatly reduced. This would all depend on the boat, but some small tinners are tippy enough as is.

The other thing is what liability might be if it is sold.

I realize that this adds a bit of weight (75-90lbs) to the boat. In terms of the seating only the pedestal seat would be added and of course would not be sitting there while in transit.

This is a big enough tinny to handle it, but I've seen some 10 and 12 footers with some decks and those were not safe. Good point about selling I will make sure its easily removable.

No issues with the casting deck my oldman made for our 15' Legend.. Handles the big water without any side effects.

If anything it's evened out the weight of the boat making it a lot more stable.

Edited by BillM