Navionics App for iPhone 3GS

kenzy31

hi all, i just got a new 3GS last week and saw the Navionics app. looking for firsthand experiences with the app. i fish mostly Simcoe, GB, Glouchester Pool, 6 Mile.... are these and other lakes in close proximity included? does the app work where there's no signal like the free topo app? any and all comments and reviews welcomed! thanks for your input,

Jesse

yes! get it!

You dont need to have access to 3G or wireless and you basically save a picture of the area you want to fish ahead of time. I have noticed that it tends to crash my phone fairly often if I scroll around a map too quickly and I have a 4G...

nonetheless, for $16 you cant lose.

GPS on the iphone doesn't work when you don't have cell coverage. So if your fishing up north where you don't get cell service it won't work but the maps will still load if you scroll to them before you lose coverage.

hey Jedi, good to know. I havent tried mine outside of the GTA yet but I was under the impression that it would still work if you dont get coverage in the area b/c your working off a saved map and the GPS technology in the phone doesnt consume much data. Considering I dont have a data plan, I guess I need to buy the darn navionics chip for my humminbird. :wallbash:

anyone selling a Navionics HotMaps chip?!

GPS on an Iphone is not GPS like a handheld GPS. It requires Cell phone tower connections to work. I know this for a fact as I have an Iphone and the GPS doesn't work where I go hunting as soon as cell service drops out. Its called Cell Tower Assisted GPS or something like that, but they just call it GPS.

just removed my sim card from iphone and the navionics works without it.

btw my navigon gps works too.

google maps doesn't cause it requires data plan.

Edited by efka

GPS on the iphone doesn't work when you don't have cell coverage. So if your fishing up north where you don't get cell service it won't work but the maps will still load if you scroll to them before you lose coverage.

Just to correct this comment.

GPS does work on the iPhone 3G/3GS and i4 without having signal. Such as using Navigon or TomTom, the maps are pre-installed on the device so the GPS will still guide you were you need to go.

But on apps like the Maps.app that comes with the phones, the maps aren't pre-loaded on the device. They are downloaded as you go, so with that said, the GPS will work, but you wont see anything unless the maps are downloaded. I'm not sure how the Navionics Lakes app works, I'm currently downloading it free to test it out since I personally don't have a use for it since I dont have a boat to really travel the lakes and rivers.

If the maps are preloaded on the iphone then your game on with using it without signal.

Enjoy.

GPS on an Iphone is not GPS like a handheld GPS. It requires Cell phone tower connections to work. I know this for a fact as I have an Iphone and the GPS doesn't work where I go hunting as soon as cell service drops out. Its called Cell Tower Assisted GPS or something like that, but they just call it GPS.

You are right about the GPS Assisted but the GPS is still a GPS and will be able to get tracked regardless, it will take a bit longer but it does work. I use Navigon in areas with no signal all the time and have never gotten lost. It has the maps pre-installed on my iphone 3GS so the GPS just uses those as opposed to downloading. Best GPS app available.

Edited by umKthxbye

how does this work? is it a topo of the lakes im on,does it tell me depths of the location on the lake im at? would love more information on this. ive never purchased an app before only download free ones and really dont wanna get burned. thanks.

the gps shows where you are. btw it's free if you have installous

IMG_0073.png

ive debated unlocking the phone but not sure i want to risk it.

another question,it says on the app that i can download chart areas as i go.

does this mean no matter what body of water im on,it will load up its topo?sorry ive never used a topo,or any sort of gps before other then in my car.

ive fished some small and middle of nowhere lakes that are impossible to get information on,so i want to make sure this app will give me the info i want on the lakes i fish,thanks again.

Just jailbreak you iPhone and download installous. Its very worth doing that so you can get access to apps to try before buying. The Canada one i got from installous doesn't show US bodies of water. Give me the lakes you fish and ill see if it shows up. There isn't any risks involved hen jailbreaking you device. It you don't like it like that just restore and its gone. If you need help jailbreaking send me a PM and we i can walk you through it over a chat. The new versions of jailbreak tools are very user friendly and have built in instructions. Google Greenpois0n or redsn0w.

Some of the 3gs phones will not lock onto a signal if there is no cell signal. It depends on what revision. The earlier ones need to be within a close distance of where it was last locked on. Eg if your in toronto and you turn your phone off drive 6 hours north. Where there is no signal the phone will take a really long time and the internal gps software times out. This was fixed in later versions.actually the latest os may also fix it.