Spring Equipment Check

Fisherman

Just about that time of year, everybody is getting itchy to get the boat in the water. Time for a little pre launch check. I took the old battery to Wally world yesterday morning, load check please I said to the mechanic. He plugged it in to the meter and the printout says, 434/500Amps, not bad for an 8 year old battery,(dated D-3), 87% and that's at about 4C so it would come up a bit when it's warmer. Check engine oil, lower unit oil full, new fuel filter. Front and rear lights on the boat work, check safety kit, make sure it's all there. Drain plug in the hole. Paperwork, licence and ownership in the waterproof box. 2 new tires for the trailer, the others were almost 7 years old and showing signs of cracking. Bearings okay. Go around the trailer with a couple of wrenches and make sure all the nuts and bolts are tight. Check trailer lights, nothing worse than following some nimrod in the dark that has little or no lighting. And the worst part, having to fill the tank $$$.

As mentioned dont forget to put the drain plug inwhistling.gif With the excitement of getting on the water,you must remain calm and methodical.I did forget last summer, and when i got back to the dock after parking my truck.......SUBMARINE !wallbash.gif

:unsure: What kind of paperwork do I need to carry in the boat? It's a larger princecraft. Operator Card obviously but what else? :rolleyes:

Dan O.

PS. Did the same thing Mercman! Fortunately my wife was yelling and I got there in time! :blush:

Edited by Oggie

-Fresh engine oil (make sure you use the correct type and grade), I know for I/0's it's usually 20W50 at least.

-Fresh lower unit oil. Fresh gas (I store mine nearly empty with Marine Stabil in it and when I pull up to the pump it's really gonna hurt).

-Charge batteries.

-Trolling motor connections and functionality.

-Make sure all fittings are tight.

-Lights need to be checked and contacts cleaned where possible.

-Bilge emptied out.

-Engine started on muffs to see if it runs.

-Condition of propellor and skeg? Repair if needed.

-Instrumentation, does it work like it's supposed to?

-Electronics working?

-Condition of Canvas/covers?? Any repairs needed?

-Hull condition?? Any visible cracks or damage?

-Safety kit on board (does the flashlight work?? put fresh batteries in).

-Lfe jackets (one or 2 more than you usually need).

-Paperwork, insurance and ownership onboard in a watertight container.

-Wash and Wax, she has to be nice and shiny before she hits the H20.

Trailer:

-Condition of Winch and winch strap?

-Tires? Correct pressure and condition.

-Bunks and rollers, fasteners snug?

-Lights all working??

-Inspect bearings. Jack up and see if there is any play in the wheel. Does the wheel spin freely?

-Trailer brake conditon??

-Condition of the trailer itself. Any broken or damaged welds? Metal condition?

BOAT LAUNCH AND LAKE FOR TEST DRIVE!!

SMILE, PRICELESS!!

unsure.gif What kind of paperwork do I need to carry in the boat? It's a larger princecraft. Operator Card obviously but what else? rolleyes.gif

Dan O.

PS. Did the same thing Mercman! Fortunately my wife was yelling and I got there in time! blush.gif

rofl2.gif Mine just waited until i got to the dock, then asked if it was normal for there to be 12 inches of water in the bottomwallbash.gif My first boat, her ist time IN a boat.Tried to use the motor to empty but with only an 8HP.....bad movedry.gif .Bailed for an hour, went back home...