Just got them in today!

umKthxbye

I just got them in today from Tackle Warehouse.

Yellow Perch:

steer_perch.JPG

Silver Shad:

steer_shad.JPG

I'm about to head out to catch some perch with my girlfriend, although she doesn't seem to want too, I'm making her get some fresh air.

She doesn't mind fishing she just getting lazy.

Ill let you guys know how they are and if they are worth getting, so stay tuned. :clapping:

clapping.gif

I'm anxious to find out if they are really as good as the promotional video, AND, the price and shipping costs too.

i will be waiting to hear from you.

paul

The price was $12.99 ea.

The shipping was $7.50.

Total was $33.48.

Heading out right now.

Ok, I just tested the silver shad and it works pretty well.

The thing is though, you need a long rod that can cast them a mile for it to do it left, right, left, right and so forth for a while.

I was using a 6'6" Abu Garcia Vendetta with a Shimano Ceanan so I only had about 5' of usable rod to cast with so they didn't get very far.

I also find it doesn't turn as much as in the commercial but then again it could have been the short rod I was using, I'm convinced it was.

I'm sure on a 7' or 7'3" it would be allot better.

I only did cast it about 6 times since I was actually going perch fishing.

On another note, I caught quite a few perch but only 5 were keepers for me, about 7" and allot that I caught had eggs so I let them go.

I got home and was ready to fillet them for supper, I was sad cuz I ended up filleting 2 that still had eggs in them. I did feel their gut and couldn't feel anything, any sure way to check for that?:(

Also, I'm using a Berkley Tec fillet knife I bough last year and never really used it much since I'm mostly catch and release, but everyone is telling me how good perch is so I though I'd give it a try.

The problem with this knife is I find it gets dull after the first few slices and even then then first cuts are difficult. Any recommendation on a good one that stays sharp long and cuts good.

Ill end up getting my uncle Randy to show me how to fillet properly, there is just something about youtube that doesn't work for me. I've tried many ways and they all seem to yield no meat. Maybe its the knife who knows :dunno: I tried sharpening it with a knife sharpener, the stick file kinda thing, which I can work every other knife I have to a fine cutting edge but this one didn't do it, I tried the one that came with the knifes and its didn't work any better.:wallbash:

I had a good few hours of :Gonefishing: with the girlfriend till it started getting too cold for her then she just complained, I could have kept going.:wallbash:

At least she had some fun out of it. :thumbsup_anim:

On another, other note, I caught this thing and I think its a goby but I'm not sure. At first I though it was a baby catfish but the face just didn't look like it at all.

whatisit.JPGwhatisit2.JPGwhatisit3.JPG

Edited by umKthxbye

The knife needs to have flex in it to be good

yes, that looks like a goby from the pic's so a Stomping you go!

What do you mean by flex?

Is that a material name or just the blade has to be flexible?

If its flexibility then yes it does have flex. If its a material, I have no idea.

Stomping?:dunno:

What do you mean by flex?

Is that a material name or just the blade has to be flexible?

If its flexibility then yes it does have flex. If its a material, I have no idea.

Stomping?:dunno:

flex is right, the blade has to be flexible to cut nice as well as be sharp.

Stomp? a Goby is not native so they are to be killed when caught (hence stomp)

That is a goby and you must kill it. I give them to my kids and they dispose of them for me after they play with them for some time.

I paid 12.99 for each of my think tank lures but paid $18.50 in shipping :wallbash::wallbash: I haven't tied mine on yet as I have not been fishing for some time and I do want to try them but nothing is open yet.

On another note, I caught quite a few perch but only 5 were keepers for me, about 7"

I've tried many ways and they all seem to yield no meat.

That may be your problem right there...you need to catch bigger fish.

whatisit2.JPG

Whoa, not so fast on automatically stomping the goby. There are quite a few native species in the sculpin and darter family that look similar, make certain you have a round goby before applying the boots. The identifier is a black spot at the rear base of the front dorsal fin, and from that pic it may just have one, but it's hard to tell for sure. If it is - STOMPAGE! :w00t:

Here's a web page with all sorts of baitfish found in Ontario, you'll see that some of them look a lot like the round goby - Link

Thanks for that site link.

I think your right. The round goby was more white. Mine looked more like the Slimy Sculpin.

Guest ThisPlaceSucks

I always used the same feature as Spiel. If it looks like it has a suction cup on the belly, it's a goby!

Edited by Dr. Salvelinus

You made out like a bandit on the shipping costs......I am also in the wallbash.gifwallbash.gif mode along with Cudz....we got rocked.

And yes...you need to keep perch bigger than 7" if you're really going to make the effort of cleaning a bunch of them worth while. I've seen people keep them literally 3 inches long....I have no clue why....

You made out like a bandit on the shipping costs......I am also in the wallbash.gifwallbash.gif mode along with Cudz....we got rocked.

And yes...you need to keep perch bigger than 7" if you're really going to make the effort of cleaning a bunch of them worth while. I've seen people keep them literally 3 inches long....I have no clue why....

Where did you get yours?

I took the cheapest shipping with no tracking number.

You're right spiel with that look and descriptions it looks more like a goby.