To All Those That Know Nippissing. INPUT HELP

leafland

Hey all,

Last year was on Nippissing with the family for a week and the fishin was rough because of the water level. Can anybody advise (because I want to book this place again for the 7th year) but im afraid the levels will be down again. The ontario min says levels are above normal? is this true?

any help gang truly appreciate it, its a lot of doe, when the deposits down im locked in ........

leafland

aka father of 2 and husband of one that "all" luv fishing ..... so if I fail, it could get nasty lmao :blahblah1:

I have concerns of the water level again this year.

The snow is mostly gone around here and the lake is still quite low.

The rivers are flowing but not a great amount.

Hope there is some snow to the north to fill it up!

My Father In Law operates the dams and turbines here in Sturgeon Falls .. and according to his #'s we're sittin' at a little above normal...

Precipitation and run off will probably be the deciding factor... let's see what can happen in 6 weeks.

I'm doin' a rain dance right now.

Randy

:canadian:

Not sure if anyone has mentioned this but if its a really great fishing trip your after in Nipissing book it for July. Everything is in high gear and where they are supposed to be...Muskie and pike on the weed flats,largemouth in the back bays,smallies on the shallow rock shoals and walley on the inclines and in the weed flats if your into rip jiggin for them....

West Bay is a great little part of Nipissing with lots of Lodges to pick from. Memquisit or Lakair will put you the closest to to West Bay for a shorter boat ride to the best fishing holes.

As for bugs the deer flies will be out as well as mosquitos in July but the fishing will make up for all that.

Good Luck !!

They said last year too that the lake level was normal at this time of year.

The run-off is much slower this year and hard to judge, but my neighbours and I who live on the lake agree that the lake level is probably going to be a problem again this year. It depends what they do with the dam. There doesn't appear to be much run-off left in the works.

Official ice-off was April 8th last year. This year we're still looking at a solid sheet of thick ice as of today. It doesn't look like there's much snow left in the bush though.

I was there a couple weeks ago. Ice was very low (although they always drop it for the winter), but there was very little snow left in the bush. There is not much north of me up near the Onaping watershed, either. I can't imagine there being that much more in the Temagami watershed, which drains into Nip.

I have spent springs/summers/falls on the lake my whole relatively short life. Personally, I think it will be another low year.. maybe not as bad as last, but still low. Mid May we can barely use our docks after a good thaw.. it's these years that the fishing is the best. That is not happening this year. We don't have any snow left.

I also live/work on a separate river system that will flood from up north, even if we are dry down here. It's running normal now, and not rising.

Edited by Northhunter

I don't think we will be as bad as last year. I seen a picture from last march 30th, and a farmer was plowing his fields in verner and dust was rolling. Also boats were out on the lake april 5th, as of yesterday there is still a couple feet of ice.(before the rain and thunder)All depends on rain and runoff I guess.