Bait cast reels

ripsomelips

Generally if you can use one bait caster you can use any of them, it`s more a matter of preference than anything else. That particular model isn`t old as far as reels go, early 90`s? maybe late 80`s?

JMHO, Abu seemed to get out of the concept of producing a quality reel that would be around for years and brought out a bunch of short lived product lines.

New and improved seems to mean they found a way to make it for less and make more profit on them.

That reel should be fine to use, throw some line on it and start practicing.

You should do fine with that reel. If you learn to cast one of the older ones without brakes and clutches you will be the master of the ones that do real soon. If you need lessons to start just go one to you tube and search for baitcasting reels it will give you a starting point and then after a bit find some one who is fishing with one and ask for a lesson they will be happy to show you the thins that he video missed.

Art

One suggestion made to me when I was first starting with the baitcaster. I was told to put less expensive mono line on until I got the hang of using my thumb etc. Then switch to braid when you feel confident. The braid will cast longer but initially you may have a lot of birdsnests and waste a lot of line. Braid is expensive to waste.

JF

It's not the easiest reel to learn on but there are many newer; more expensive, fancier reels of less quality giving people fits than the Abu.

Start by casting heavier lures/weights (1oz) and use a slow, deliberate arm movement to cast. No flicking and whipping the rod. Don't worry about distance before you have a handle on technique. The extra five yards you're looking in a cast might cost you twenty yards of tangled mess.

It might be easier to control backlash if you can understand why it happens.

When you start a cast, the weight of the lure is pulling line off the spool. The lure will never accelerate once it leaves the end of your rod; it begins to slow down.

The spool's inertia must be controled to match the decelleration of the lure otherwise it will be pushing the line through the guides. That's when things get ugly; it's like trying to push a piece of string.

You can put the odds in your favour by using a stiffer line; 12-15lb mono for example.

Another trick is to make a fairly long cast then strip another 5 yards off by hand. Then apply a piece of tape over the line on the spool before you reel in. The tape will stop a massive backlash.

I just did some fishing this Saturday to practice using my baicaster. Ive never owned one before and foun it was pretty easy. I have the shimano Caenan and its got some nice features like the spool speed adjustment knob. I kept that tight to start and get a feel for it. That reel is under $100 and feels good. Just wish i had a longer 2 piece rod. The vendetta 6'6" barely has any usable section of rod so ill have to look for a 7'6". 6'6" vendetta just doesn't have the casting distance. Its defenitivly a new learning experience, but a fun one. Cant wait for the warmer days so i can fish more often.

I just did some fishing this Saturday to practice using my baicaster. Ive never owned one before and foun it was pretty easy. I have the shimano Caenan and its got some nice features like the spool speed adjustment knob. I kept that tight to start and get a feel for it. That reel is under $100 and feels good. Just wish i had a longer 2 piece rod. The vendetta 6'6" barely has any usable section of rod so ill have to look for a 7'6". 6'6" vendetta just doesn't have the casting distance. Its defenitivly a new learning experience, but a fun one. Cant wait for the warmer days so i can fish more often.

2 piece casting rods generally are poorer quality. I wouldn't do it. Go with a 7' mh 1 piece. I have a few 7'6 rods but they are one piece with a telescopic bottom section. Those rods are usually heavy action rods used for pitchin/flippin and froggin.

Your lack of casting distance isn't 100% because of your rod length. There are many other factors but mostly experience. I have been using baitcaster for about 25 years now and I still don't try to throw baits less than a 1/4 oz and I definately don't throw less than 1/4 oz into the wind. I have a few casting 6'6 rods but I prefer 7' m or mh.

2 piece casting rods generally are poorer quality. I wouldn't do it. Go with a 7' mh 1 piece. I have a few 7'6 rods but they are one piece with a telescopic bottom section. Those rods are usually heavy action rods used for pitchin/flippin and froggin.

Your lack of casting distance isn't 100% because of your rod length. There are many other factors but mostly experience. I have been using baitcaster for about 25 years now and I still don't try to throw baits less than a 1/4 oz and I definately don't throw less than 1/4 oz into the wind. I have a few casting 6'6 rods but I prefer 7' m or mh.

If i had a car i would buy single piece.

But since i have to bus i need a 2 piece. Maybe in the future hen i have a car i will get a 1 piece.

By the way, I have 2 abu garcia 5000 series reels and they are good. They cast well and they are strong but a bit heavy. Not something you want to be using making hundreds of casts for 6 hours at a time.

Fished bass tournaments for 20+ years using a couple of these as my primary reels http://cgi.ebay.com/Vintage-Abu-sweden-ambassadeur-5001c-left-retrieve-/300540499390?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item45f99c15be

how the world has changed. If you ever see the really old school shots of bass tournaments? everyone was throwing with an Abu 5000. :clapping: