Do disabled people need to by fishing license?

ehg

I haven't fished yet this year but will soon when weather is a little better.

So i was having problems downloading PDF's with Firefox switched to Google Chrome and no problems. I like it!

Downloaded 2011 Ontario fishing regs. and was reading it and noticed it said if you are officially considered disabled you don't have to buy a fishing license. Is this true?

I have been permanently disabled by Multiple Sclerosis for a few years. So if i have my disabled parking permit or other proof when fishing do i not need a license? This is news to me. Wonder if you are considered 'sport' or 'conservation' if so. Anyone have experience with this or confirm this. I would rather fork out a few bucks for license than have MS thats for sure.

Thanks in advance :Gonefishing:

If you have a disabled permit, that becomes your fishing license. Obviously, if you are using handicapped parking, you cannot have the permit in 2 places, so a photocopy of both sides of the original will do.

Just as a senior's birth certificate/proof of birth becomes the senior's license.

if you are using handicapped parking, you cannot have the permit in 2 places, so a photocopy of both sides of the original will do.

Actually, it is illegal to photocopy a disabled permit. I have asked before.

If i go fishing somewhere there isn't usually handicapped parking at the launch.

So i will bring it in boat with me. Didn't know this 'disabled = fishing license thing'.

Actually, it is illegal to photocopy a disabled permit. I have asked before.

If i go fishing somewhere there isn't usually handicapped parking at the launch.

So i will bring it in boat with me. Didn't know this 'disabled = fishing license thing'.

You cannot use a photocopy in you vehicle, is correct.

Using a photocopy for the puposes of the fishing license was the suggestion offered by the MNR. I do a lot of shore fishing with handicap parking nearby.

I support people with developmental and physical disabilities and often take them fishing...

not everyone with a disability can qualify for a parking permit

some of my clients have a laminated ODSB check stub as their license ..along with proper I.D ... I have contacted the MNR and spoke to CO's about this and was their recommendation.

Over the years we have been checked a few times and there were no problems.

Randy

:canadian:

this make me wonder although I do not have a disabled parking nor recieve odsb checks. But I do recieve WSIB (workers saftey insurance Board) due to a work related ijury. I'm told I have a partial dissablity now and will recieve for the rest of my life. I wonder if that counts. not that I don't mind having to pay but just a thought.

Okay, i guess i will make sure to have some ODSP stuff and a copy of disabled parking permit in my tackle box. I bought licenses last few years and didn't need too :dunno:. Wondering if it is considered 'sport' or 'conservation' license. Not that i ever keep anything but who knows walleye and crappie are good eats.

In your case.. more power to you.. use yours and enjoy the outflow !!

The outflow is done now till next December. I will be hitting FMZ 17 lakes till then.

There was no delay in getting anything disability related.

MS is nasty i need a walker or forearm canes now but can still fish :Gonefishing::thumbsup_anim:

Thanks all for replies!

THE REG SAYS:

Who needs to purchase an Ontario resident Outdoors Card and Fishing Licence Tag to fish in Ontario?

Most Ontario residents need an Ontario-issued Outdoors Card and fishing licence tag to fish in Ontario if they are at least 18 years old but have not reached their 65th birthday.

Who does not need to purchase an Outdoors Card and Fishing Licence Tag?

A person is deemed to be the holder of a Recreational Fishing Licence if they are:

198391.gif

1. Residents of Ontario and Canada under 18 years old, or 65 years of age or older and in possession of any licence, permit, certificate, or identification card issued by the Government of Canada or a provincial or territorial government of Canada that indicates their name and date of birth.
  2. Disabled Ontario and Canadian residents eligible for and in possession of:

• A Canadian National Institute for the Blind National Identity Card issued to them
    OR
    • An Ontario Ministry of Transportation Accessible Parking Permit issued to them
    OR
    • A black and white photocopy or printed version of an electronic copy of the Ontario Ministry of Transportation Accessible Parking Permit accompanied by any licence, permit, certificate, or identification card issued by the Government of Canada or a provincial or territorial government of Canada that indicates the person's name and date of birth.
  3. Any licence, permit, certificate or identification card issued by the Government of Canada or a provincial or territorial government of Canada that indicates the person's name and date of birth where the individual must be accompanied by and require the direct assistance of another person to fish and follow applicable fishing laws due to a condition of mental impairment or a developmental disability, a learning disability or dysfunction, or a mental disorder. The person accompanying the above person does not require a fishing licence if they are only assisting, but must have a licence if they wish to engage in fishing.

So then yes you must be an Ontario resident because you have to have an Ontario issued handicap parking permit. Not only is fishing free for those who hold a permit but parking at meters or city owned parking lots is at no charge for you also, at least in Hamilton, Burlington and Niagara Falls ON. Other cities I'd ask the meter maid first.

So then yes you must be an Ontario resident because you have to have an Ontario issued handicap parking permit.

pikehunter: I was with you when you were quoting the regs until the above statement.

You do not need to be a Ontario resident as long as you are a Canadian resident.

An "Ontario issued handicap parking permit" is not a requirement but is only one of the acceptable requirements of proof of disability. Other acceptable documents you have listed in your quote of the regs.

Okay, i guess i will make sure to have some ODSP stuff and a copy of disabled parking permit in my tackle box.

Just remember you are also required to carry some forum of Government ID which has your name & birth date to show you are a resident of Ontario or Canada.

Edited by Woodsman

Yes Woodsman you are :thumbsup_anim: correct however he asked if his disabled permit was OK to use as his fishing license. It does say an Ontario issued permit, I assume then that an out of province issed permit is not eligable...unless you have one of federal or provincial issued pieces of documentation listed.

Also BillyBob inquired if his permit would be OK, that then would not be from what I read above.

pikehunter: They way you phrased your statement without direct reference to ehg's question, it read to me as you were saying "you must be an Ontario resident and must also have an Ontario issued handicap parking permit".

All cleared up now.

pikehunter: They way you phrased your statement without direct reference to ehg's question, it read to me as you were saying "you must be an Ontario resident and must also have an Ontario issued handicap parking permit".

All cleared up now.

No problem :thumbsup_anim: I probably didn't word my post exactly right anyway and I should have taken more care in my wording, glad that you were on the ball with clarifying me.

• 2 weeks later...

Yesterday my boyfriend and I attended the Sportsman show at the Garson arena and we stopped at the MNR conservation officer trailer. I remembered reading this post and out of curiosity, I asked him about someone on ODSP being able to fish without a license using their ODSP stub as proof of being disabled.

He immediately picked up the 2011 fishing regulations book, and showed me where it states " a person is deemed to be the holder of a recreational fishing license if they have :

a CNIB identity card issued to them or Ontraio ministry accessible parking permit"

He told me that were he to come across someone that is not blind and able to fish unaided, that did not have a fishing license or either of the above proof, then he would in fact give them a fine.

What I would do for those unsure about this, contact your local (or head office) MNR and ask them. If they confirm that an ODSP stub will suffice, ask for that in an official written format. Then at least you have a chance. Hopefully no one gets charged for failure to produce a license this way.

Edited by Teressa

Guest gbfisher

My wife is disabled with JRA since the age of eleven. She does not use a parking permit as she feels she doesn't need one.(she needs one but doesn't cry about her disease) I never gave it a second thought about her not buying a license. I guess I should look into it. :dunno: There must be an easier way than using a parking permit...

Yesterday my boyfriend and I attended the Sportsman show at the Garson arena and we stopped at the MNR conservation officer trailer. I remembered reading this post and out of curiosity, I asked him about someone on ODSP being able to fish without a license using their ODSP stub as proof of being disabled.

He immediately picked up the 2011 fishing regulations book, and showed me where it states " a person is deemed to be the holder of a recreational fishing license if they have :

a CNIB identity card issued to them or Ontraio ministry accessible parking permit"

He told me that were he to come across someone that is not blind and able to fish unaided, that did not have a fishing license or either of the above proof, then he would in fact give them a fine.

What I would do for those unsure about this, contact your local (or head office) MNR and ask them. If they confirm that an ODSP stub will suffice, ask for that in an official written format. Then at least you have a chance. Hopefully no one gets charged for failure to produce a license this way.

once again a mnr officer that interprets the law differently . I have a handi cap permit in my car i have gone to the mnr office in peterbourgh to find out and the district supervisor told me i was good to go fishing . I feel guilty for using one so i purchased a pair of 50 dollar boots for the guys at the fishladder this way i know my money goes directly to fishing :)

So copy of parking permit should be sufficient according to this CO, I thought they couldn't be photocopied so it is a good thing i asked. A copy of an ODSP stub alone doesn't seem sufficient.

Wish i was aware of this a few years ago instead of buying licenses. :dunno:

So copy of parking permit should be sufficient according to this CO, I thought they couldn't be photocopied so it is a good thing i asked. A copy of an ODSP stub alone doesn't seem sufficient.

Wish i was aware of this a few years ago instead of buying licenses. dunno.gif

You can copy the parking permit for the purpose of fishing, you just can't have a photocopy of it for parking. ODSP stub is not accepted at all according to the CO I talked to, but like I said, if anyone wants to attempt it, I would call the MNR and get confirmation one way or another, way better than getting nailed as the "I didn't know" excuse probably won't fly.

At least you know now about it :) saves you a few bucks a year from here on out.