If you are thinking about buying a Quantum Smoke, Please read

ah_long

Thanks for the heads up A.L.

Based on your less than positive experience & Quantums absolute refusal to make it right;

I will never, ever, not even come close to buying any of their product. Sorry, but you got hosed.

If I have time tomorrow, I'll try to email this thread to some of the executive staff if I can find their email on line. Maybe other fellow members who would like to stand behind one of our own could do the same?

This kind of crap really bugs the heck out of me.

Regards,

Slayer

Thanks for the heads up A.L.

Based on your less than positive experience & Quantums absolute refusal to make it right;

I will never, ever, not even come close to buying any of their product. Sorry, but you got hosed.

If I have time tomorrow, I'll try to email this thread to some of the executive staff if I can find their email on line. Maybe other fellow members who would like to stand behind one of our own could do the same?

This kind of crap really bugs the heck out of me.

Regards,

Slayer

Quantum was willing to make it right. However, it wasn't clear if they would pay the shipping costs TO them or not. This is pretty typical for a lot manufacturers. I don't agree with it, but that's what they do.

Quantum was willing to make it right. However, it wasn't clear if they would pay the shipping costs TO them or not. This is pretty typical for a lot manufacturers. I don't agree with it, but that's what they do.

well... I totally understand if I use the reel... and something goes wrong, and I need warranty work and I am responsible for shipping..

but in this case... I purchased a brand new reel which is clearly defective, and I have received very poor support from the manufacturer....

I don't really blame LeBaron as this is their no tax sales event... in fact they went an extra mile to allow me to return the reel is a huge plus... but this is clearly YMMV....

well... I totally understand if I use the reel... and something goes wrong, and I need warranty work and I am responsible for shipping..

but in this case... I purchased a brand new reel which is clearly defective, and I have received very poor support from the manufacturer....

I don't really blame LeBaron as this is their no tax sales event... in fact they went an extra mile to allow me to return the reel is a huge plus... but this is clearly YMMV....

I would not be so quick to let Lebaron off the hook scott free right off they should have offered to a refund,exchange,store credit. A no tax sale removes their responsibility how excatly?

Lebaron should go after Quantum.

There is no excuse for shoddy customer service at the store level or the mfg. level.

I think you should look at the equipment a bit closer when you dropping $200 on it... Think about your purchase and always check a real out before buying it... Take it out of the box...

My 2 cents

I have to completely agree with you... Quantum's position not with standing, would you buy a car without driving it? Would you buy a TV without looking at it?

Firstly, that kind of money for a reel is just crazy, IMHO, but if I was dropping that kind of coin on anything, you would be correct in assuming that I would take that critter out of the box and do a once/twice/three times over, before I dropped my money on the counter...

So, again, IMHO, there are a lot of things that went wrong in this transaction and the three parties involved, share blame.

HH

I have to completely agree with you... Quantum's position not with standing, would you buy a car without driving it? Would you buy a TV without looking at it?

Firstly, that kind of money for a reel is just crazy, IMHO, but if I was dropping that kind of coin on anything, you would be correct in assuming that I would take that critter out of the box and do a once/twice/three times over, before I dropped my money on the counter...

So, again, IMHO, there are a lot of things that went wrong in this transaction and the three parties involved, share blame.

HH

There is no comparison between a car and a $200 fishing reel.

Besides, when you buy a new car, do you look under the hood? Get on a creeper and check out underneath? Examine the brake pads to make sure they're new? No...I doubt you do, because there is a certain level of inherent trust between the customer, dealership, and manufacturer.

I'm pretty sure he played with the reel before he bought it anyways. He might have missed Quantum's mistakes, but in the end, they are Quantum's mistakes...not his.

This argument is like blaming a girl for getting assaulted because she was wearing a short skirt.

Edited by ADB

Well then, I guess you and I don't make buying decision the same way... and your analogy is rather insulting on many levels.

I look at EVERYTHING before I buy, be it a head of lettuce or a car... and yes, I do look under the hood.

Here's where I come from...

I play guitar, I buy many and would not think about buying a guitar without trying it first... yes, that means taking it out of the case (the box if you will), looking it over for any kind of defect and giving it a whirl so to speak. Now I have bought $200.00 guitars and each one of them have received the same attention to detail from me, that my $3000.00 one's do...

So, if you assume that everything is ok with a product, any product, right out of the box, well you get what you deserve.

I believe it's called... buyer beware!

HH

Well then, I guess you and I don't make buying decision the same way... and your analogy is rather insulting on many levels.

I look at EVERYTHING before I buy, be it a head of lettuce or a car... and yes, I do look under the hood.

Here's where I come from...

I play guitar, I buy many and would not think about buying a guitar without trying it first... yes, that means taking it out of the case (the box if you will), looking it over for any kind of defect and giving it a whirl so to speak. Now I have bought $200.00 guitars and each one of them have received the same attention to detail from me, that my $3000.00 one's do...

So, if you assume that everything is ok with a product, any product, right out of the box, well you get what you deserve.

I believe it's called... buyer beware!

HH

My point is: where do you have to stop when inspecting a purchase? I'm sure he took the reel for a whirl, as you put it.

The consumer can't be responsible for inspecting everything they purchase with a fine tooth comb. That's ridiculous and unrealistic. And I'm pretty sure as far as whatever consumer laws are in place are concerned, the onus is on the manufacturer and not the buyer.

My point is: where do you have to stop when inspecting a purchase? I'm sure he took the reel for a whirl, as you put it.

The consumer can't be responsible for inspecting everything they purchase with a fine tooth comb. That's ridiculous and unrealistic. And I'm pretty sure as far as whatever consumer laws are in place are concerned, the onus is on the manufacturer and not the buyer.

well again, it's obvious that you and I make purchasing decisions very differently... I look at EVERYTHING! As far as I am concerned, that's my job in this consumer/retailer relationship... especially in a situation like the O.P. where he knew going in, what the terms of the sale were.

I guess when you have been around the block as many times as me, you get sceptical about parting with you hard earned cash... I stop "looking things over" as soon as I lay my money down... until then, I will tear the thing a part!

BTW - $200.00 for a reel is obsurd to me, that in no way diminishes my stand here.

HH

Edited by Headhunter

well again, it's obvious that you and I make purchasing decisions very differently... I look at EVERYTHING! As far as I am concerned, that's my job in this consumer/retailer relationship... especially in a situation like the O.P. where he knew going in, what the terms of the sale were.

I guess when you have been around the block as many times as me, you get sceptical about parting with you hard earned cash... I stop "looking things over" as soon as I lay my money down... until then, I will tear the thing a part!

BTW - $200.00 for a reel is obsurd to me, that in no way diminishes my stand here.

HH

Alright, fair enough HH. No offense meant.

What's the big deal? Ship it to Quantum. It's obvious they'll exchange it for a better finished reel.

One of the problems we discovered with dive gear was being charged duty on the purchase price on items sent in for service work. Specifically the dive computers. Some of them are sealed and battery replacement requires return to the factory in the States. At the same time they reload the software and update it. But to have to pay the duty on a $500 wrist computer each time this is done is annoying. I took one in to the service shop in Florida on one of my trips and picked it up on the way home. Cost me $35 total. This is okay if you have extra computers but not too practical if you need the computer for your holiday.

Check this out beforehand.

JF

One of the problems we discovered with dive gear was being charged duty on the purchase price on items sent in for service work. Specifically the dive computers. Some of them are sealed and battery replacement requires return to the factory in the States. At the same time they reload the software and update it. But to have to pay the duty on a $500 wrist computer each time this is done is annoying. I took one in to the service shop in Florida on one of my trips and picked it up on the way home. Cost me $35 total. This is okay if you have extra computers but not too practical if you need the computer for your holiday.

Check this out beforehand.

JF

Highly, highly unlikely John. I've sent lots of items to the States for warranty work over the years and never once paid a dime on delivery.

good service or bad service, depends how you look at it what is the customer's expectation, quantum is willing to exchange it so they are backing up their product, most customer will be happy with this service and it is good service, some customer dont feel they should pay for shipping which to them, is bad service. For those who got good service from Shimano, took a short drive to Peterbourogh, got your reel or rod fixed or repair no charge, great service for sure, but if you try to tell them you want to be paid for your time and gas to get there, they mostlikely will tell you to take a hike, will that be bad service? how about people taking products back to the store for exchange or returns? lots of peoples do asking for their gas money back, store will do the exchange or refund, but no way the store wil pay you gas money, I met someone even ask for 407 troll charge becasue they choose to take 407, they won't get anything from the store, is the store giving bad service?

Here is how I see it, yes, we drop lots of money on the toys we want and manufacture is responsible to make sure to have the best quality product to offer to consumer. we as a buyer also have to take responsibility to check the product before paying. Thinking that since we are the one droping the money and therefore no liability on our part is not smart. Smart cousmer should always check the products, and check the recipt after paid to ensure the store did not over charge you, it is common sence.

Lebaron also need to step up to take care their customer, no tax=no return? what kind of policy is that? but if you do buy from them, that means you are agree with their policy, at the end, customer is responsible for their action.

We always try to save a few bucks whereever we can, especialy when buying products, we always focus who has the lowest price on the products only and forgot what kind of the service they provide behind the products. Some time cheapest may not be the best deal.

Highly, highly unlikely John. I've sent lots of items to the States for warranty work over the years and never once paid a dime on delivery.

I missed Garry's post but I had it happen and I know a few other guys who got dinged. It's now a pretty well known fact amongst divers with certain computers.

JF

I missed Garry's post but I had it happen and I know a few other guys who got dinged. It's now a pretty well known fact amongst divers with certain computers.

JF

As I mentioned in another post on page 3, customs can't charge duties on something you already paid for and was sent in for warranty repairs.

You must ALWAYS write above the address or somewhere around it saying "Warranty repair" or something indicating its a repair. I'd also make it in big bold letters, and include the same thing inside the packaged box.

It's also the responsibility of the company repairing the item to mark the package are return for warranty when they ship it back.

Never have I paid duties on repairs and warranty products because I make damn sure they write it when they ship it back.

It's never happened to me before that I had to pay fees, but if it did I would call the company and have them refund me ASAP for their negligence.

Duties are only owed on products that you purchase and import from another country. This also depends on the size and what the item is. If it's not available in Canada they may not charge duties on it.

It's the Canadian government that charges these fees for not "Shopping Canada".

Another option is trying to deal with the Canadian Duties Offices and try and get your money back.

Like I said, I've never had to go through this and hope to never have to **knocks on wood**.

As I mentioned in another post on page 3, customs can't charge duties on something you already paid for and was sent in for warranty repairs.

You must ALWAYS write above the address or somewhere around it saying "Warranty repair" or something indicating its a repair. I'd also make it in big bold letters, and include the same thing inside the packaged box.

It's also the responsibility of the company repairing the item to mark the package are return for warranty when they ship it back.

Never have I paid duties on repairs and warranty products because I make damn sure they write it when they ship it back.

It's never happened to me before that I had to pay fees, but if it did I would call the company and have them refund me ASAP for their negligence.

Duties are only owed on products that you purchase and import from another country. This also depends on the size and what the item is. If it's not available in Canada they may not charge duties on it.

It's the Canadian government that charges these fees for not "Shopping Canada".

Another option is trying to deal with the Canadian Duties Offices and try and get your money back.

Like I said, I've never had to go through this and hope to never have to **knocks on wood**.

I think John's point is that, regardless of if its right or wrong, it happens anyways.

I was at Markham LeBaron and did check the Quantum Smoke after having read the OP regarding the quality/finish issues. They had one reel left and it did have the cosmetic blemishes described earlier. I personally own 1 Quantum Catalyst PTi spinning reel that I use for my ultralight/panfish fishing. I've stayed away from their baitcasters, and own Daiwa, Shimano and Abu Garcia products.

After checking the Smoke it reinforced why I made the decision to stay away from Quantum. It did not feel that smooth and I felt that the handle was positioned too far away from the body of the reel. Also the handle has that annoying backplay that all Shimano baitcasters have. The only two positive things going for the Smoke are its strong drag, and being lightweight for an all aluminum reel.

I then checked out the Shimano Curado 51 and while it felt a bit better, and more palmable due to its size, it still did not feel that smooth. Again like all Shimano baitcasters, it did have the handle backplay. The drag cranked down, was not as strong as the Smoke. No cosmetic blemishes observed. I own the 201E7 and prefer it over the 51 because of the longer handle and bigger Septon knobs.

Moving on, I then checked the Abu Revo STX, and for the $200 range, this is the reel to beat. Super smooth, bearing supported knobs, dual braking system (centrifugal and magnetic), and very strong drag when cranked down. The reel just felt solid. the only category where it loses out to the previous reel would be in the weight, as it's slightly heavier. Like all other Revo reels, it did not have handle backplay. No cosmetic blemishes observed

So if I were to spend $200-$220 at this point it would be on a Revo STX or if you're lucky a Premier on eBay. Now in the $150 range, the Daiwa Advantage HSTA would be my pick.