Trolling motor buy question

idesign

Guys i want to buy electric trolling motor for my boat.My boat is 17foot Doral fiberglass with OMC 3lt inboard.I currently have Honda 9.9 4 stroke kicker.But i dont really use that much .i want to sell that and get electric trolling motor.I just want motor for safety incase my main motor fails while in lake.

so can some1 tell me which motor to buy as i have no knowledge of electric trolling motor.

thank you

idesign

BAD Idea!!!!

If the main motor quits on you, you will kill the battery trying to get it started again.

Then what good will an electric motor do you?

Your 9.9 only needs gas to make it go, and will get you back to shore a lot quicker then an electric.

Like everyone has said, stay with the 9.9 honda.

As a backup, an electric trolling motor is a lousy option. You can walk faster than it will propel your boat, they are for positioning and VERY slow trolling speeds. Your 9.9 is the way to go. BTW, how the heck did you mount that on an I/O??? A bracket on the transom??

As a backup, an electric trolling motor is a lousy option. You can walk faster than it will propel your boat, they are for positioning and VERY slow trolling speeds. Your 9.9 is the way to go. BTW, how the heck did you mount that on an I/O??? A bracket on the transom??

With one of these .

http://www.basspro.com/Trac-Outboard-Motor-Brackets/product/10200395/-1548390

Bottom line.....TM and kickers are not for back up IMHO.......been fishing almost my whole life and NEVER had a need to have a "back up" motor and I fish the Great Lakes a LOT........maintain your main motor as much as possible and GO FISHING..... :)

BTW.....do you have a back up motor on your tow vehicle...I don't...but I have a TOYOTA TUNDRA....LOL.. :thumbsup_anim:

Toyota Bob.... :P

ok .. so here's a twist on the same question ... If I normally troll ALL day on a 9.9 seahorse... but would like a n electric trolling motor for finesse in the back bays (17' heavy fiberglass boat) .. small lake (about 3.5 square miles) ... in a ZEC where we have NO electricity to recharge the battery ... what would you recommend ? (motor and battery) for a 3 - 4 day trip... needs to be relatively easy to mount/stow away. (not sure if bow or stern is better .. I personally would opt for stern...since I drive while 'he' sleeps :)

Edited by camillj

Finesse is MUCH better achived with a bow mounted TM...so I would recommend a Minn Kota Power Drive TM with a quick release motor mount, like this one....http://www.cabelas.com/product/Boating/Electric-Trolling-Motors/Electric-Trolling-Motor-Accessories%7C/pc/104794380/c/104716980/sc/104312880/Minn-Kota-Quick-Release-Trolling-Motor-Mount/700189.uts?destination=%2Fcatalog%2Fbrowse%2Fboating-electric-trolling-motors-electric-trolling-motor-accessories%2F_%2FN-1100550%2FNs-CATEGORY_SEQ_104312880%3FWTz_l%3DSBC%253BMMcat104794380%253Bcat104716980&WTz_l=SBC%3BMMcat104794380%3Bcat104716980%3Bcat104312880

As for motor size I would only get a 12 volt system to save on weight and space because this would only be used occasionally per your post.....so about a 50lb thrust and a Group 27 Deep Cycled battery should get you about 3 to 4 days with occasional usage.

Bob

ok .. so here's a twist on the same question ... If I normally troll ALL day on a 9.9 seahorse... but would like a n electric trolling motor for finesse in the back bays (17' heavy fiberglass boat) .. small lake (about 3.5 square miles) ... in a ZEC where we have NO electricity to recharge the battery ... what would you recommend ? (motor and battery) for a 3 - 4 day trip... needs to be relatively easy to mount/stow away. (not sure if bow or stern is better .. I personally would opt for stern...since I drive while 'he' sleeps :)

Does the 9.9 have a charging circuit? If so then you can hook the battery to it and charge as you run. If not I am not sure any battery will last 3-4 days without charging. The trolling motor the larger it is the more/faster you will drain the battery. I don't know of a solar charger that will work quick enough and it is a pain to hook it up to the truck and run it to charge it again.

Art

Does the 9.9 have a charging circuit? If so then you can hook the battery to it and charge as you run. If not I am not sure any battery will last 3-4 days without charging. The trolling motor the larger it is the more/faster you will drain the battery. I don't know of a solar charger that will work quick enough and it is a pain to hook it up to the truck and run it to charge it again.

Art

Dont believe it does Art (its pull start not electric) ... '70's or '80's vintage seahorse ... is this something that could be added ? hmmm ... google here I come ... good point, I would think that would be the best bet to charge the battery during trolling :)

for a 17' glass boat I would say 65 min but 80lb would be better you will definitely want a 24v TM 12v will just kill the batteries like crazy and they make some sweet lookin brackets for bow mounts on glass bowriders now seen them on a fish-n-ski at the london show.

I would agree.......BUT I have a feeling the OP is more interested in occasional use of a electric trolling motor than have his foot on it all day like a tournament bass fishermen......so I would recommend a 40-50 pound thrust via a 12 volt system (group 27 battery).....I have a similar set up and it works great without ever running low on battery power....but I do have a good on-board charging system that I plug into every time the boat is not fishing.

Bob

I would agree.......BUT I have a feeling the OP is more interested in occasional use of a electric trolling motor than have his foot on it all day like a tournament bass fishermen......so I would recommend a 40-50 pound thrust via a 12 volt system (group 27 battery).....I have a similar set up and it works great without ever running low on battery power....but I do have a good on-board charging system that I plug into every time the boat is not fishing.

Bob

40lb will barely move that boat I had a 12v 40lb PD on my 14' tinner and if the wind picked up even slightly it was way under powered made it very difficult to control the boat always better to have to much than not enough .what your suggesting(55lb) will work fine on calm days though.I wouldn't even try a 40lb

For 22 years I only had a 28# thrust on my 16' boat and just recently went to a 40# thrust (12 volt).....on the real windy days the OP has his 9hp kicker motor to rely on....from everything I have read by the OP this is not going to be a full time bass catching machine....if so you are absolutely correct....but many of us don't fish bass seriously...as a full time walleye fishermen (after the crappie season and between the perch) I personally don't find the need for all that expensive TM power and weight, but then again everyone is different.

Bob

I agree Bob. It all depends what you want to do, and how you like to fish.I just bought a MinnKota Edge, 45lb bow mount for my 16ft aluminun.I do not troll. i use it to place my boat where i cant get with the main motor. I either fish stationery or drift.So 45 is plenty for what i need.The difference in price is hundreds, not just 20 or 30 bucks.The only time i troll is for Musky, and for that i use the main motor.

Edited by mercman

Here's a shot of the TM mount on the nose of my old Glastron... and what you'll probably be looking for for the Doral

GlastronbackatTMarine.jpg

As for motor size.. my 75lb motorguide wireless pulls my 22 foot lund at 4.3 MPH. Has no problems positioning the boat most days and on nice calm days I use it to silently downrig for Lakers at 1.7MPH.

Also spent quite a few hours with Thorpe on the St. Lawrence, in that 5 to 8 MPH current, and the same motor had no issues keeping us on the weed line casting for skis all day long on his 19 foot Princecraft.

Edited by irishfield

Here's a shot of the TM mount on the nose of my old Glastron... and what you'll probably be looking for for the Doral

GlastronbackatTMarine.jpg

As for motor size.. my 75lb motorguide wireless pulls my 22 foot lund at 4.3 MPH. Has no problems positioning the boat most days and on nice calm days I use it to silently downrig for Lakers at 1.7MPH.

Also spent quit a few hours with Thorpe on the St. Lawrence, in that 5 to 8 MPH current, and the same motor had no issues keeping us on the weed line casting for skis all day long on his 19 foot Princecraft.

Nice setup Wayne. I would give my eye teeth to fish with Thorpe. I met him quickly at Roys.He is a gentleman.