abu garcia Record

basskicker09

First off I have nothing against this reel, but here are the facts.

This reel is the top of the line of reels that are based on a 1930's though 50's design.

At that time casting rods had an off-set handle...sort of a dog-leg.

This placed the reel quite low on the handle and aligned the top of the spool with the rod.

Modern rods don't use an off-set handle, so all Abu's based on this design sit quite high in the reel seat. This gives the reel a different "feel" than newer models, designed for current rod building practice.

Anyone who uses a C3, or any of it's kin, will tell you that the strange feeling goes away after a few minutes. However it is what it is...a very old design.

Garry2R's

Edited by garry2rs

First off I have nothing against this reel, but here are the facts.

This reel is the top of the line of reels that are based on a 1930's though 50's design.

At that time casting rods had an off-set handle...sort of a dog-leg.

This placed the reel quite low on the handle and aligned the top of the spool with the rod.

Modern rods don't use an off-set handle, so all Abu's based on this design sit quite high in the reel seat. This gives the reel a different "feel" than newer models, designed for current rod building practice.

Anyone who uses a C3, or any of it's kin, will tell you that the strange feeling goes away after a few minutes. However it is what it is...an very old design.

Garry2R's

So for those considering a baitcasting reel for heavy use, like musky, pike, saltwater, etc., what would you recommend besides a round style reel?

I have only have experience with one low profile baitcast reel capable of handling musky. The curado 300/301 is meant for saltwater fishing. No problems handling any musky you could ever catch, the only concern is that while it can handle hard running, powerful fish it may not hold up to casting/reeling the bigger musky baits.

So for those considering a baitcasting reel for heavy use, like musky, pike, saltwater, etc., what would you recommend besides a round style reel?

There's nothing wrong with round reels.

Abu's design puts the mounting foot on the outside of the frame. Newer designs recess this foot, lowering the reel on the reel seat. The lower reel position feels better on modern "blank threw" handles.

I like Shimano, so the Calcutta would be my first choice, and the Cardiff, which is quite a bit cheaper, would be my second.

Garry2R's

Edited by garry2rs

Nothing wrong with round reels. I started baitcasting with a Calcutta 251 and then got hooked for life. Like a poster mentioned above though, Abu's designs has been based on time tested reels. The only problem I see from a design/structural standpoint is that the sideplates on the C3/C4-Record series appear to be stamped metal, as opposed to one piece machined frames like the Calcutta series. Now if you can get your hands on the now discontinued Morrum reels then you have what I feel is Abu's most solid round reel. I feel like the one piece machined frames give more sturdiness overall to a reel, especially if throwing big, heavy musky baits and for long term durability.

Other reels I can suggest are the Calcutta TE series, Daiwa Millionaire CV-Z/CV-X/Luna and Pluton reels, and for low-profile options the Curado 300/301 series along with the Abu Revo Toro lineup. Just spend a bit more and get quality instead of having to buy reels every couple years. Do it right, do it once!

I think another alternative to the Record would be Toro or Toro Winch. Cost a bit more but much nicer reels.

The next step up from the Record would be a Morrum if you could fine one. Guys that are considering a fullsized reel aren't going to step down to a Toro.. I love my Calais, but there are things I wouldn't do with it, chucking bulldawgs or big double 10s is an example, lol..