Satellite Question - Bell Expressvu

ckrb2007

Hey all,

I've had a Bell expressvu HD PVR system in my living room for about 5 mths now and I just recently bought another bell expressvu receiver (a regular one.....not HD) for my sons room. I split the main line coming from the dish with a 2-way splitter, which I thought was for satellites, and my living room system starting acting up.....losing signal, missing channels. My sons receiver would only pick up the odd channel. Do I need a better splitter? I got mine from the Source and it was around $30.

This damn coax thing is driving me nuts and I'm a fibre optic splicer by trade!! haahha

Cheers,

Colin

I've installed a couple for my own use and my parents, I always understood that a second run of coax is required for a second receiver. Each dish mounted outside has coax connectors for 2 runs of coax making a second dish necessary if you want a third receiver.

doing that they don't need to be on the same channel, only the same transponder

If you are referring to the part of splitting signal AFTER the receiver, well then both TV's will receive whatever channel the receiver is on...can't be help...only way you can receive different channels on two TV's is have two receivers. The TV is really only a monitor when a satellite system is installed. The tuner is in the satellite receiver box unlike none HD cable systems.

Bob

If you split the signal AFTER the receiver it will work BUT both TV's will receive the same channel....if you want to watch independent channels you need a duel LNB at the dish and TWO receivers which will cost you a extra monthly fee.

Bell doesn't charge for extra receivers except for rental ones, if you buy it you can have as many as your LNB's can handle..... I have 4 (owned)and pay the same rate as if I had one.

jjcanoe

So, my dish "should" have a second coax connector already on it. I do see the first coax line coming out of the dish but where do I find the second connector? Do I need to take the end apart?

Since you don't have a second receiver you shouldn't have another coax cable coming from the LNB on the Dish (UNLESS you have a dual DVR receiver).....now it's possible that your Dish only has a single LNB on it...if so you first need to change that out to a dual LNB and then run the second coax cable down from the dish to the second receiver.....now if you have a DVR with dual tuner capacity like my TIVO than you need to have both coax cable running to a 4way switch box and then 2 coax cables run to EACH receiver.

This sounds completed but it's NOT....easy peasy.....

Bob

I have the Bell Expressvu 9241 receiver, which is the dual tuner HD-PVR model, if that helps at all. I got the 9241 with the package I chose with Bell and I just bought the second "plain jane" receiver for my sons room.

Edited by ckrb2007

I have the Bell Expressvu 9241 receiver, which is the dual tuner HD-PVR model, if that helps at all. I got the 9241 with the package I chose with Bell and I just bought the second "plain jane" receiver for my sons room.

YES, that helps me a LOT....you should have two coax cables running into the back of the receiver from the Dish......go check and let me know...

My dish has 4 co-ax outputs from 2 LNBs on the dish. 2 outputs are used up by my HD PVR (dual tuner) and we have more receivers but haven't bothered to hook them up. We run 3 extra TVs all on the second tuner of the main receiver. This hasn't been an issue because we haven't found the need to have 3 different TVs on 3 different channels at the same time except when watching 2 TVs and wanting to record a 3rd program, time-shifting usually takes care of that. It also gives us access to all our PVR recordings on all the TVs in the house. Even if I do hook-up my additional receivers, I'll leave the current connections on separate inputs just to maintain that feature.

BB,

I have a single coax coming down from the dish, into the house. At the back of the receiver the single coax goes into a 2-way splitter, then 2 short coax cables(maybe 4" long) both go into the receiver.

OK....I looked at the link s2k4mee provided near the top of this tread....it looks like the systems have been advanced since I installed mine and now are using splitter SWITCHES in place of two lines from the dish, etc....so here's the best advice I can give you now since they are no longer wired as I am use to....which is probably easier for you anyways....

Go to this link.... http://www.canadacomputers.com/product_info.php?cPath=164_170&item_id=012897 ...... and find the contact phone # and call them telling them exactly what you are trying to add to your system and what you already have in the system now.....I'm sure they can and WILL help you add the necessary switches to Get 'R Done...

Bob

Thanks again!

After further review of that link it seems like a warehouse type electronic store that does a lot of online business....So you probably will not get much advice from the box stuffer that work there.....You're better off looking in your yellow pages to find a independent satellite installer and or store to get the necessary parts needed....just tell they you want to do it yourself and want to buy the parts from them.

Bob

all you need to do is pickup a switch and hook it up before the first reciever. then run a line to the new reciever.

switch should cost about 20 bux.

a switch is not a splitter.

look for DiSEqC

you will then need to run the switch utility in the menu for both recievers so the boxes know what ports on the switch it is to look for.

G

Edited by Gerritt

get out the hammer drill and run another line into the house off the LNB (LNB = front of the dish). if you do that then you can get a 2x4 multiplexor that will let you run 2 lines into the house and split it off properly to 4 set top boxes. this is if you only have 1 LNB on the dish.

I have the stuff here if you are close and need it or the help. just not the 2x4 switch...