guides on quinte?

ch312

a few buddies have been thinking about a trip to quinte for some big eyes. someone mentioned G2 angling so i've been reading a bunch of reviews about them and i'm not so sure anymore. i've read countless stories (google searches) about these guys not catching fish, poor attitudes, and brutal customer service. it seems like they're known for trying to get as much $$$ out of people as possible. has anyone heard of these guys or had first hand experience?

can anyone recommend a good guide service on quinte?

Hmmm...I thought Stoty and G2 had parted ways....but I was only guessing that based on him selling the boat and the new Weekend Assassin dealy he's got going on. I'm sure he'll pop on and give us some info.

Speaking only from experience, I've got to go with Lloyd as the main man to see. Just keep in mind that if you PM him now, he is away for a 10 day trip to the magical land of Walter rolleyes.gif

I had an okay experience with G2 this winter. I will say it is not exactally what I expected and It really depends what you want. I could see how some people would not like the guided trip I had. I read the post on the Simcoe board and this is what I would comment on:

1. We had one ATV for 5 guys - we did have to walk out onto the ice - no big deal.

2. We did not get a lot of training from the guide. He showed us the basics. Not too hard reading a flasher. That was fine as we had enough experience on the ice.

3. We moved once at mid-day. I dont know if thats part of the technique or what.

4. The guide fished all day by himself. Which was fine although different then other trips I have been on guided.

5. We did not change spoons all day. Again, I dont know if you should or not but it was not offered anyway.

6. I paid for the premium package. Which was 60 dollars more then the normal package. I was not happy with the fact that there was nothing extra included.

7. The clam traps have the worst seats I have ever experienced. Not the guides fault though.

We caught some fish but not a lot. The other guys we were out with got skunked so we didnt feel too bad about it. Overall it was a good day. I would use them again but they wouldnt get my very highest recomendation.

Well, I only get to take one trip a year (guided) and I don't try for cut rate deals so when I do go on a trip I expect to get what I paid for, experience and service. No one, no matter how good they are can guarantee that you will catch fish but they should be able to guarantee that you will get the service you are paying for. They should also make sure that you know what you are getting for the money you are spending. With things the way they are on the internet today, be good or go hungry.

No first hand experience with G2 but if I had to straddle an ATV to the hut with out a helmut that would tell me alot about the business, unfortunately anybody can buy equipment and call themselves a guide.

Regardless who you hire just make sure you ask if they are insured, I sometimes wonder if these small operators even have insurance.

Edited by lookinforwalleye

No first hand experience with G2 but if I had to straddle an ATV to the hut with out a helmut that would tell me alot about the business, unfortunately anybody can buy equipment and call themselves a guide.

Just make sure you ask if they are insured, I sometimes wonder if these small operators even have insurance.

I agree 100%. I wouldn't consider taking my friends out like that...let alone a paying customer.

If an accident was to happen and they got there butt's sued...they'd be wishing they did it right..from the beginning.

It's a very tough business. I know first hand. The overhead is crazy and you need to be "very" busy to make it work and worth while.

I never really guided on the ice much with the overhead, insurance and liability involved... plus not alot of our friends south of the border care alot about ice fishing.(and our clients that did have it in their backyard) You'd have to be booked for atleast 5 days a week to make it a go.. for us anyhow.

When choosing any guide, check references, make sure they have ALL their licenses (coast guard etc.) Another thing we did was get first aid and cpr certified and had medical supplies on board. Ya never know what can happen.

#1 thing though is to check references! But to be fair, it is fishing and there ARE bad days. Customer service skills dictate how those are handled however.

Edited by Harrison

Ive been on two guided trout/salmon charters in my life. The first was out of the gta, and I wasnt pleased at all. The second was lloyds, you and me charter.thumbsup_anim.gif

I surely had a blast, and im sure he was taught a new fishing trick that daywhistling.gif Presenation was key, well sort ofrofl2.gifoops.gif

Guest gbfisher

My best answer would be to get in touch with a bait store in the area you plan on fishing and ask them where to go. They want to sell bait and will be more than happy to put you into an area that has fish. Save your money for the dinner on the way home. :good:

you guys r mad about no helmets on an atv and havin to walk? must have been terrrifying, seriously though whatever happened to just going out fishing and enjoying the day. i wish the leafs could beat the lowly isles and get into the playoffs this year but at least i know that theres always next year and ten next years after that. GO LEAFS GO! :thumbsup_anim:

you guys r mad about no helmets on an atv and havin to walk? must have been terrrifying, seriously though whatever happened to just going out fishing and enjoying the day. i wish the leafs could beat the lowly isles and get into the playoffs this year but at least i know that theres always next year and ten next years after that. GO LEAFS GO! :thumbsup_anim:

So who pays the fine when the OPP asks them where their helmets are?

If I was out and a guide told me to hope aboard and sit my ass on the front of a ATV rack, I would laugh at him. A little bit of professionalism is required don't ya think?

Did you get a Darwin award? :rolleyes: