Lipless rattle Baits

bucktail

Clearly Double Digits likes common lures. Thank goodness after all there's always live bait. For the rest of the guys here, there's a reason top anglers use Japanese lures when money is involved or they want to max out their success. Bottom line is if you are satisfied with Rapalas or any other "domestic" lures you are missing LOTS of fish virtually antwhere you fish around the GTA or even southern Ontario. Same goes for quality spinnerbaits over the 3 for $10 ones you see on bait store racks. Quality lures take research and execution to manufacture, just like cars, boats, clothes etc. Even in remote locations where the fish are not conditioned quality Japanese lures will consitently out fish Rapalas and the other American hardbait products (except Hildebandts of course) This is somthing virtually all dedicated high profile anglers know (but frequently do not tell to the general public)

Who mentioned live bait? I guess because I questioned your logic, I must be an idiot redneck (because I guess live bait is for rednecks??). Most would be too embarrassed to display that kind of snobbery, but I suppose true snobs couldn't care less.

Don't you think that research and craftsmanship went into designing classic, time-tested fishing lures? Poor rubes like me have done OK with them.

Its all about confidence, and clearly for you, that doesn't come without paying a steep price. To each his own.

I would say good luck fishing, but it doesn't sound like you need any.

Clearly Double Digits likes common lures. Thank goodness after all there's always live bait. For the rest of the guys here, there's a reason top anglers use Japanese lures when money is involved or they want to max out their success. Bottom line is if you are satisfied with Rapalas or any other "domestic" lures you are missing LOTS of fish virtually antwhere you fish around the GTA or even southern Ontario. Same goes for quality spinnerbaits over the 3 for $10 ones you see on bait store racks. Quality lures take research and execution to manufacture, just like cars, boats, clothes etc. Even in remote locations where the fish are not conditioned quality Japanese lures will consitently out fish Rapalas and the other American hardbait products (except Hildebandts of course) This is somthing virtually all dedicated high profile anglers know (but frequently do not tell to the general public)

Is there any data to suppor this claim? Or, is it all anecdotal, or even based on company advertising?

When ripping rattle baits, or when using any reaction bait for that matter, do you know for certain that fish see more than a profile? How do you then explain spinnerbaits' effectiveness? Or a spoon? Other tangible differences can tilt the odds in the angler's favour, such as different vibrations or rattles. Different hydrodynamics to alter the fall can also have an effect (as you did indicate).

However, to make a blanket statement such as that, with no evidence in light of the success many have had with domestic lures is going to incite some strong reactions.

Edited by PainInTheBass

I too have a few of these baits and fish them for 1 minute every summer. After reading all these posts I'm going to give them a serious go next season as every year I try and master a new technique in my bass fishing. Sorry I can't add any tips on these baits but are regular crankbait rods suitable for these baits or are we looking into fast actions and stiffer setups for these?

More good info to add to this thread

MTBF

Well I guess ill still try them , I think by mid season that fish are turning off of loud rattling baits but thats another discussion, i think KVD`s bait is coming out this year witha no rattle model. Maybe Ill give that one a try to.

thanks guys!

its weirds how someones confidence bait can be someone elses ballast in the boat!!

I dunno man. I have been fortunate enough to fish with quite a few dedicated, high profile anglers in my life and have never seen any of them use Japanese baits. Ever - not even in tournaments. I'm referring to guys like Bob and Wayne Izumi, Pete Bowman, Ang Viola, Gord Pyzer, Big Jim, Mark Kulik, Hank Parker, Al Lindner, Ron Lindner, Roland Martin and Bill Dance. Are they high enough profile?

Here's a newsflash - it isn't the bait, it's what you do with it.

I've done well in the past with silver and Blue rattle'n raps for late spring lakers and Specs In Algonquin park.

They fit the bill for a bait that can be allowed to run deep with a little "drop time" and long line.

Usually on or around the May long weekend the trout begin to go a bit deeper...in a slow bite the rattle of the rattle'n rap is

Just what the doctor ordered when the spoons are not pulling their weight ;)

I too have a few of these baits and fish them for 1 minute every summer. After reading all these posts I'm going to give them a serious go next season as every year I try and master a new technique in my bass fishing. Sorry I can't add any tips on these baits but are regular crankbait rods suitable for these baits or are we looking into fast actions and stiffer setups for these?

Well, they're lipless crankbaits so yes, I would say your regular crankbait rod would suffice :lol:

These lures are intended to be retrieved with a softer rod with good parabolic action based on my catches, and having the softer rod allows the thin wire trebles better chance of hooking up with the fishies

Snidley I don't need to by some expensive Japanese Lure to catch bass I fish bass from first day it opens until it close and for the most part it's how you present it that matters not the colour of the eyes on the lure, if something isn't working, change it up until you find what is working. I don't think that if your throwing a Rapala crankbait and the fish aren't hitting but you throw some expensive Japanese crankbait of similarities to rapala it's going to hit. They aren't going to hit the lure more because it's 20 Dollars.

Edited by Live2fish85

Well, they're lipless crankbaits so yes, I would say your regular crankbait rod would suffice :lol:

These lures are intended to be retrieved with a softer rod with good parabolic action based on my catches, and having the softer rod allows the thin wire trebles better chance of hooking up with the fishies

Nothing funny, watching soo many of the american shows I've seen lot's of longer stuffer rods with heavy fluoro lines...seems they are always fishing them in the spring and do lot's of ripping in and out of the weeds...Not so much up here but thanks for the suggestion, guess I won't need another rod for those too some day thankfully

One option is to throw lipless cranks on a heavier spinning outfit and fish them like a jig. It's obviously not something you want to try on a snag-infested bottom, but it's a great way to locate active fish on open areas, like when they're scattered over sand flats. Works great on shale too (think Erie).

I prefer a MH fast action rod for my lipless crankbaits because i do tend to throw them around weedbeds, burning them over, trying to tick the tops of the weeds. I find that the fast action and MH power help me to rip the lure free. I had tried them on my mh moderate-fast crankbait rod, and didnt like the action for this application. However, you may actually like the action. It is all a matter of preference.

My favorite is the Spro Aruku Shad. Amazingly sharp hooks. Catches fish straight up! Smallmouth and Pike

I have just bought the Aruku Shad based on some reviews I have read. I got to throw it a little bit at Lake Toho last month, and found it to be quite weedless for a libless crankbait. This is due to the wide head, which I am sure is also teh reason for the the vibration even on slow retrieves. It appears to be a very flexible lipless crankbait that I will throw alot this year. I also really like the finishes on these lures.

I like them alot so far.

• 2 weeks later...

I really like lipless cranks , lately I've been using the Live target version, simply because I have confidence it it which is really important, I too like to use a 6'6" med heavy fast and braid , for ripping through weeds which I find triggers not only bass but walleye and pike as well, Lakers like them too, I vertically jig them at times, As for the Japanese vs. domestic (chinese made) I cant definetly say that one outfishes the other-comes down to confidence, although the difference to me is more in the design like weight transfer systems, which means they cast better in the wind with less roll meaning less tangles-this is more for jerkbaits, everything has its time , when I need to cover water or trigger reaction bites a lipless with lots of flash is hard to beat.

I dunno man. I have been fortunate enough to fish with quite a few dedicated, high profile anglers in my life and have never seen any of them use Japanese baits. Ever - not even in tournaments. I'm referring to guys like Bob and Wayne Izumi, Pete Bowman, Ang Viola, Gord Pyzer, Big Jim, Mark Kulik, Hank Parker, Al Lindner, Ron Lindner, Roland Martin and Bill Dance. Are they high enough profile?

Here's a newsflash - it isn't the bait, it's what you do with it.

And I got to fish with Craig Ritchie! -We have to go steelheading again this year Craig!

http://cgi.ebay.com/Vintage-Storm-Texas-Shad-Fishing-Lure-/290520816240?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item43a463da70

They don`t look like much, but always seem t work for me. The red label ones like this where actually made in the USA, blue labels became a product of Mexico different plastic and rattles.