jjcanoe

Smartphone operating systems  

50 members have voted

1. 1. which O/S do you prefer?

• apple
    • android
    • windows
    • blackberry

going to be upgrading to a smartphone soon and was just wondering what type of operating system is prefered by most. I have no idea how any of them work so I'll be starting from scratch, so being user friendly is a big plus, I am a fast learner though (just not the first on my block to adopt a new tech!)

If you can, let me know what you like and dislike about the o/s you are using, info on specific phones would also be helpful but my main concern is the o/s!

Thanks

jjcanoe

Edited by jjcanoe

I'd look at the HTC and Samsung Android phones. Any kind of web browsing forget about Blackberry. Even with the torch it isn't quite there yet.

Android keeps getting better, and Apple has its place as well. I believe there is a high end HTC that has a slide out kb. If you do go Android, make sure it will support OS 2.2 or 2.3

I've been a PC guy since day 1.

Got an iTouch, and really loved it, so when I was due for an upgrade to my cell, the next logical step was an iPhone.

I got the 3GS, and really enjoy it. Even with all that Rogers has to offer in the way of data and phone plans, it isn't cheap, but it certainly has been trouble free. Tons of free apps, as well as ones to pay for, but I've seen no need to pay for any yet.

I can sit at home and surf or check emails, through the router or the 3G network, and have never gone over my data plan.Load up Skype, and you can make long distance calls for .03/min from your phone when on wifi or router.

Make sure to buy a roaming plan if you go to the US, or just shut roaming off. It can get expensive if you don't.

Nobody I've talked with has had any virus problems with any iPhone.....yet.

Virus free is always a good thing, free bbmsg also is an incentive although I'm not a big texter since most of the time I have my phone on is when I'm driving the tractor-trailer.

The touch screen on my wifes I-pod seems like an ok system to me, any advantage to the fold out keyboards?

Not a fan of Samsung products in general due to several bad products I've used over the years from them....

jjcanoe

Love my new torch ... and love my iphone 3 ... wouldnt want to give either of them up (havent decided yet whether to upgrade to iphone 4 (probably will)

Either way fdont forget to go to m.google.com/search and download their app ... it is a MUST have ... voice activated google means never having to type :)

Edited by camillj

Love my new torch ... and love my iphone 3 ... wouldnt want to give either of them up (havent decided yet whether to upgrade to iphone 4 (probably will)

Either way don't forget to go to m.google.com/search and download their app ... it is a MUST have ... voice activated google means never having to type :)

Have to agree with the voice google app!

You won't believe how good it is till you try it!

I'm really happy with my iPhone, although I found it irritating that I had to get a jacket for it. I like the camera, use the iTunes alot, and like the fact that you can use Skype. I used to missmy Blackberry's keyboard, but have grown to almost like iPhone's.

Edited by backbay

i love iOS found on the iphones. Ill go out on a limb and say thy have the best mobile browser.

Saying that, i am using symbian s60. Its okay, only got it because it was the best phone i could get within my budget! Try em all out, for simplicity and ease of use, iphone hands down

If you are renewing your contract, make sure you bargain. When my contract with Rogers expired 3 months ago, I called and asked for iPhone 4. After like 5 calls (everyday I got a different offer) to see what they'd do to keep me, I got a sweet deal. For about $42/month including everything, I got 500mb data, 250min any time, 100min long distance, 100 text, unlimited weekend and week evening starting at 6pm. This on a new 3 yrs contract and the iPhone 4 then comes free. A lot of people don't like a contract but if it doesn't bother you, this is the way to go. It's about what I used to pay for a lot less.

I will be renewing with Bell, since I've been a satified cell customer of theirs for almost 20 years. Won't ever pay Rogers a penny ever again and Telus doesn't have the coverage I need. As far as renewing and upgrading goes, I can't remember the last time I've been charged a renwal fee, admin fee, upgrade fee, transfer fee, or any type of fee by Bell, not that they haven't tried, one just has to know how to talk to them :whistling:

I just can't get over the cost for data transfers on smartphones (compared to blackberry) which is why I won't switch.

by this do you mean the data rates charged (xxxmb for $X per month)? If so, how does Blackberry differ? do they have a flat rate kind of deal?

thanks

jjcanoe

by this do you mean the data rates charged (xxxmb for $X per month)? If so, how does Blackberry differ? do they have a flat rate kind of deal?

thanks

jjcanoe

No no no, basically when you have a blackberry you are also get a thing called Blackberry Internet Service (BIS). When you browse the web on a blackberry all data goes through the BIS Server then to your phone. THe BIS server compresses the data to 5-6 times smaller than the original content and then the blackberry opens the compressed data on the phone. Think of it like a .zip file, someone might compress 10MB of files to a 3MB zip file to send you an email. After you receive it you open it up and get the full 10MB of data. That's essentially what happens on a blackberry.

Basically if you have a blackberry you get away with MUCH smaller data plans compared to a smartphone like iphone or android. They don't compress their data at all, it's just as if you're browsing on your PC with the same data going through. So if you go browse the web, use a facebook app, get emails, etc. and download 100MB of data in a day, you would've only downloaded 10-20MB on your blackberry. BIG savings long term.

No no no, basically when you have a blackberry you are also get a thing called Blackberry Internet Service (BIS). When you browse the web on a blackberry all data goes through the BIS Server then to your phone. THe BIS server compresses the data to 5-6 times smaller than the original content and then the blackberry opens the compressed data on the phone. Think of it like a .zip file, someone might compress 10MB of files to a 3MB zip file to send you an email. After you receive it you open it up and get the full 10MB of data. That's essentially what happens on a blackberry.

Basically if you have a blackberry you get away with MUCH smaller data plans compared to a smartphone like iphone or android. They don't compress their data at all, it's just as if you're browsing on your PC with the same data going through. So if you go browse the web, use a facebook app, get emails, etc. and download 100MB of data in a day, you would've only downloaded 10-20MB on your blackberry. BIG savings long term.

That would be handy, is speed an issue?

I will be renewing with Bell, since I've been a satified cell customer of theirs for almost 20 years. Won't ever pay Rogers a penny ever again and Telus doesn't have the coverage I need. As far as renewing and upgrading goes, I can't remember the last time I've been charged a renwal fee, admin fee, upgrade fee, transfer fee, or any type of fee by Bell, not that they haven't tried, one just has to know how to talk to them :whistling:

thanks

jjcanoe

Not different in the way they charge, just different in the way they deliver their mail.

Blackberry's mail delivery is compressed while all the others are not.

With Blackberries being oriented toward buisiness customers they have optomized their mail delivery subsystem.

As has been said they also compress web data.

Edited by DRIFTER_016