Pier rod for chucking spoons for spring trout?

Burtess

Looking for a lighter action rod for casting spoons for spring trout off the piers. Reel to go on it will be a Daiwa TDA-2500 spooled with 8lb test.

I have been using a 9.6 foot Shimano Canadian Custom Series light action noodle rod for a LONG time and I am looking for something with a faster action and with some more back bone.

One thing is the rear grip cannot be too long as I find the long rear grips get caught up in my jacket etc.

Any suggestions?

Thanks,

Burt :)

I was using a 9' St Croix Avid ML that I like to use to toss hardware with, I usually run 6lb mono with it. It's got a moderate action, and probably less backbone than sounds you are looking for though. I've caught some big fish with it though.. (15lb Brown from Bronte pier a few years ago thumbsup_anim.gif)

Unfortunately, I broke the tip and need to take it in for warranty but I have long misplaced my receipt, so it will probably be a hassle...

I am looking for a replacement, so let me know what you decide on.

These new rods caught my eye at Cabelas...but no idea what the action is like on them.

http://www.cabelas.com/product/Fishing/Fishing-Rods/Spinning-Rods%7C/pc/104793480/c/104764680/sc/104836680/TFO-Gary-Loomis-Signature-Series-Steelhead-Spinning-Rods/1167701.uts?destination=%2Fcatalog%2Fbrowse%2Ffishing-fishing-rods-spinning-rods%2F_%2FN-1102841%2FNo-48%2FNs-CATEGORY_SEQ_104836680%3FWTz_l%3DSBC%253BMMcat104793480%253Bcat104764680%26WTz_st%3DGuidedNav%26WTz_stype%3DGNP&WTz_l=SBC%3BMMcat104793480%3Bcat104764680%3Bcat104836680

Happy shopping canadian.gif

I was using a 9' St Croix Avid ML that I like to use to toss hardware with, I usually run 6lb mono with it. It's got a moderate action, and probably less backbone than sounds you are looking for though. I've caught some big fish with it though.. (15lb Brown from Bronte pier a few years ago thumbsup_anim.gif)

Unfortunately, I broke the tip and need to take it in for warranty but I have long misplaced my receipt, so it will probably be a hassle...

I am looking for a replacement, so let me know what you decide on.

These new rods caught my eye at Cabelas...but no idea what the action is like on them.

http://www.cabelas.com/product/Fishing/Fishing-Rods/Spinning-Rods%7C/pc/104793480/c/104764680/sc/104836680/TFO-Gary-Loomis-Signature-Series-Steelhead-Spinning-Rods/1167701.uts?destination=%2Fcatalog%2Fbrowse%2Ffishing-fishing-rods-spinning-rods%2F_%2FN-1102841%2FNo-48%2FNs-CATEGORY_SEQ_104836680%3FWTz_l%3DSBC%253BMMcat104793480%253Bcat104764680%26WTz_st%3DGuidedNav%26WTz_stype%3DGNP&WTz_l=SBC%3BMMcat104793480%3Bcat104764680%3Bcat104836680

Happy shopping canadian.gif

Tony just bring your broken Avid to Fishing World, they'll take care of you!

I agree that's a decent stick for a factory rod.

As it happens Wiser is selling one in the OFC classifieds for $125

http://www.ofncommunity.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=51346

Tony, it this the rod you have?

AVS90MLF2 9' ML Fast 6 - 10 1⁄8 - 5⁄8

This sounds like it may fit the bill for me. I will have to find one and check it out. How long is the rear grip?

Great rod advice, but for a reel, try to get your hands on a Diawa whisker 1300. Best pier reel IMHO.

They're tried and true that's for sure.

A friend of mine is an absolute wizard when it comes to throwing hardware for steelhead.

He uses US Reels Supercasters, the 230 and 240SX models. That guy was consistently throwing further than me by a mile with my typical long tapered spool reels last season.

The drag on those reels is unreal as well, the washers are just so huge.

I don't think there's another reel on the market that will cast as far.

Best part is they're cheap. You can pick them up on ebay for usually between 50 and 60 bucks these days.

On a side note Phil, next weekend is looking prime if you and your bro want to hit steelhead alley. (weekend of the 12-13th)

Great rod advice, but for a reel, try to get your hands on a Diawa whisker 1300. Best pier reel IMHO.

I know those reels are a standard, but I already have a reel, just need the rod. :)

I double that vote on the whisker ... I have a couple and LOVE them .. one is over 15 years old and going strong (100's of big trout later) !

A friend of mine is an absolute wizard when it comes to throwing hardware for steelhead.

He uses US Reels Supercasters, the 230 and 240SX models. That guy was consistently throwing further than me by a mile with my typical long tapered spool reels last season.

Best part is they're cheap. You can pick them up on ebay for usually between 50 and 60 bucks these days.

On a side note Phil, next weekend is looking prime if you and your bro want to hit steelhead alley. (weekend of the 12-13th)

I haven't seen the US reels yet. I'll have a looksee.

It's that time already!!!! Ok, I'll chat with Paul and PM you. :thumbsup_anim:

That is the correct model Burtess Gonefishing.gif

I also used it in the tribs for casting plugs and spinners, and even as my Niagara boat rod, but realistically it is too light/soft in the tip to be a perfect bottom bouncing rod. But, I try to get as many uses per rod as I can and sometimes that means not having the perfect tool for all applications.

The butt section is proportionate and doesn't cause problems casting. I know what you mean by that exactly because my 13' rod that I use for casting spoons for salmon catches on my jacket all the time as it has a long butt section.

Tony, it this the rod you have?

AVS90MLF2 9' ML Fast 6 - 10 1⁄8 - 5⁄8

This sounds like it may fit the bill for me. I will have to find one and check it out. How long is the rear grip?

I use the Avid AVS96MLF2 9'6" ML Fast #6 - #10 1/8 - 5/8 ounce

Retails for around $230

I have a Daiwa Advantage 2500 on it and it is the perfect peir rod. Very similar to your TDA 2500.

I tried the 10 1/2' but in the end settled for the 9 1/2' as it is a little more manageable for long periods of casting.

I also tried the AVS96LM2 9'6" L Mod. #4 - #8 1/16 - 3/8 $ 220 and found it too soft. Very poor hooksets.

The handles are a little long on the St. Croix (11" from reel seat to butt cap. Not quite as bad as those Shimanos.

Bill's Bait on Upper james in Hamilton carries a wide selection of St. Croix as well as other makes suitable for pier fishing.

Hope this helps.

I use the Avid AVS96MLF2 9'6" ML Fast #6 - #10 1/8 - 5/8 ounce

Retails for around $230

I have a Daiwa Advantage 2500 on it and it is the perfect peir rod. Very similar to your TDA 2500.

I tried the 10 1/2' but in the end settled for the 9 1/2' as it is a little more manageable for long periods of casting.

I also tried the AVS96LM2 9'6" L Mod. #4 - #8 1/16 - 3/8 $ 220 and found it too soft. Very poor hooksets.

The handles are a little long on the St. Croix (11" from reel seat to butt cap. Not quite as bad as those Shimanos.

Bill's Bait on Upper james in Hamilton carries a wide selection of St. Croix as well as other makes suitable for pier fishing.

Hope this helps.

I will check that one out too!

Personally I have had great success by using a Shimano Convergence rod 10.5' it's a med-hvy, fast action rod with good back bone for chucking spoons up to 1oz - great for Steel or salmon - it's about $120 I believe - check this rod out.

I have the 10' Convergence for pier salmon fishing and would like something lighter for spring trout. The handles are soooo long on those Shimano's that I cut off about 4" of the butt with a hacksaw and reglued the endpiece!

These kind of look similar to the BPS JM spinning reels, do you know if they make them for BPS?

• 2 weeks later...

So I checked out a few of the rods mentioned. I liked the St. Croix AVS90MLF2 (the one that Tony has) but was hesitant about chopping off some of the butt on a more expensive rod. I checked out a few they had at LeBaron..... the Fenwick HMX HMXS86L-2 and the Quantum Tour Edition PT PTS8642FA and Energy PT QES8642FAC. The Quantums are marked medium action but they felt more like med/light and I liked the bend when strung up (faster than the HMX). All of them have long sections.

So I picked up the Energy PT for $69.94, no tax. At this price I won't worry about voiding warranty by chopping some off lol...

I will let you know how it performs after I get out a few times.

Thanks for the input gents!!!!

Edited by Burtess

I have a nine foot 25 yr old fenwick HMG rod. TONS of back bone. You don't need much tip action for spoons...just enough to feel weeds or fouled spoons. Most of the newer ones are far too light and whippy.

As far as the butt...look for a longer one that is TOO long to tangle in your sleeve. Casting like you are using a lacrosse stick gives you extra yards. I use Power Pro...I think about 25 pound test or so.