2004 F-150 cranks, but wont start

kenzy31

looking for thoughts on the cause of not starting. i went to leave work this morning at 2am, and all it did was crank but would not fire up! i drove it to 2 stores, to pick up my daughter, then to work all with no issues. not even a hesitation! my dad spoke with a local Ford dealership and they said it prob wont be fuel pump, but maybe some modulator up by the spare tire. apparently it rots from corrosion and goes faulty. cost of part is around $180, but wont know for sure if this is the issue till i get it towed back to Barrie. Any thoughts or experience from fellow F-150 owners or mechanics?? is this common? the truck is a 4.6L, 4x4, with only 75,000km. thank you for your help!

Jesse

looking for thoughts on the cause of not starting. i went to leave work this morning at 2am, and all it did was crank but would not fire up! i drove it to 2 stores, to pick up my daughter, then to work all with no issues. not even a hesitation! my dad spoke with a local Ford dealership and they said it prob wont be fuel pump, but maybe some modulator up by the spare tire. apparently it rots from corrosion and goes faulty. cost of part is around $180, but wont know for sure if this is the issue till i get it towed back to Barrie. Any thoughts or experience from fellow F-150 owners or mechanics?? is this common? the truck is a 4.6L, 4x4, with only 75,000km. thank you for your help!

Jesse

Just had the same thing happen to my truck .2005 f 150 and it was the fuel pump control modual . It is located up under the spare tire . It it something that you can do easily yourself . You can usually tell just by looking at it that it is faulty.

Wow... no smart alecky remarks.... I'm very dissapointed.... Come on people.. its a FORD!!!

Sounds like some good advice already.. hope that helps!!

Sometimes a sensor will not work right and tell the computer to give the engine way too much gas and flood the engine. If they continue to crank the engine it washes down the cylinders and fills the crankcase with gas. Now if a bit of flame from the combustion chamber gets past the rings into the gas filled crankcase...KABOOM ..It can blow the gaskets out from under the valve covers and intake.

So like the guys said, listen for the fuel pump, and check to see if your oil is full of gas.

Just had the same thing happen to my truck .2005 f 150 and it was the fuel pump control modual . It is located up under the spare tire . It it something that you can do easily yourself . You can usually tell just by looking at it that it is faulty.

just had the same thing happen with mine and was the same part that went. the mechanic called ford to see if there was a recall on the part as the new one looked a bit different (it now mounts away from the frame instead of up against the frame)but there was no recall.

well, glad to report wannafish was right in the first reply! fuel pump control module, $175 for the part (dealer only), 18 Carling for the tow, and $40 for use of my buddy's hoist (and his help and parts discount :) ). the new design which keeps the unit off the cross-member should prevent future rotting and failure. the old one was cracked clear accross from salt and moisture buildup. thanks for all the help guys... except to the haters of the all mighty Blue Oval!!!!! :)

Cheers,

Jesse

Edited by kenzy31

If the engine cranks and it doesn't start on an F150 the module is the first thing I look at.

The ignition systems are reliable.

We get a few ignition coil break downs causing misfire.

Spark plug replacement can be a bad experience for guys that don't know what they are doing so be careful when that time comes around.

All in all the Ford pickups are probably the best bang for the buck on the market today.

Jesse

Probably a fuel pump driver module as someone else stated. They have a new module out a 4l3z9d370a that is mounted different to keep the road crap out of it the old # 5l8z9d370a is still available and is alittle cheaper but you will have the same issues down the road if you plan on keeping the ttruck.