Kopper's Live target

Eazy

I first started using Grant Koppers baits on a fly-in to Gogama. One of the guys i went with knows grant quite well, and he had a whole bagfull of the 3 inch golden smelts. Those baits out produced any rapala's we threw out there. The only complaint I had was that the paint was wearing off were the walleye where hitting it. Since then I have used most of the other Live Target baits, and have been VERY impressed. Can't wait to try the frog this summer good.gif

The koppers baits are my go to lures. Slayed the walleye on the perch patterns the last couple years and went through 2 smelt patterns this opener. The golden shiner is my fvouriteb crankbit as well. The only major problem I have had is that smelt baits I had both took on water but apparently the early ones had this problem which I have been told was fixed and the finish wears off very easily. I have a box full of them and will be adding the pumkinseed patterns as well. Cheers Jeff

The koppers baits are my go to lures. Slayed the walleye on the perch patterns the last couple years and went through 2 smelt patterns this opener. The golden shiner is my fvouriteb crankbit as well. The only major problem I have had is that smelt baits I had both took on water but apparently the early ones had this problem which I have been told was fixed and the finish wears off very easily. I have a box full of them and will be adding the pumkinseed patterns as well. Cheers Jeff

Does the finish wear off easily on the new ones, or has this problem been corrected as well?

I have done well throwing the smelt pattern and craw cranks. I'm stocked up on frogs for the year too

Do they compress down as easy as the Snag Proof Perfect frogs Steve? Only thing I'm not sure about, needs to be a good soft frog or appearance doesn't matter.

Mike

Wow! Some real celebrity responses on this thread. If Dave, Mark and Steve all say these baits are the business then I will get some.

Dave check your PMs I sent you a pretty funny one about my daughter and her obsession with you (weird kid)

Hey Mark, I got out once more on simcoe in the fall after seeing you and it was a crazy cold windy white capped and nasty. Had the trolling motor on full and it lasted about 4 hours. Only lure that caught fish was your smoke blue coloured swim bait. I like it. When are you going to start selling those things?

I hate to be a stick in the mud but these guys tell you what baits to buy because they are paid to. It was not long ago that everyone was sucking up all the Rapala hype because someone was filling up the glasses with the kool aid.

Rapala make a great lure as does Live Target. Do not take a pros word on it though as they are paid to tell you. When everyday folk tell you bout a lure, that is the time to listen up.

I hate to be a stick in the mud but these guys tell you what baits to buy because they are paid to. It was not long ago that everyone was sucking up all the Rapala hype because someone was filling up the glasses with the kool aid.

Rapala make a great lure as does Live Target. Do not take a pros word on it though as they are paid to tell you. When everyday folk tell you bout a lure, that is the time to listen up.

Steve is sposored by livetargetand gets paid to tell me what bait to buy? I will have to check into that.

Obviously not Steve. Steve was just giving his honest opinion.

It seems funny though how the pros instantly started yapping about how incredible live targets are the moment they started pushing paychecks their way. It is not funny or peculier, it is just business.

Live Targets are wonderful as are Rapalas and a bunch of others. The fact that a few pros have switched to Live Target from Rapala does not make Live Target any better or Rapala any worse.

Just as others have said (and were not jumped on), dont fall for the hype.

I think it's a Canadian company - if not at least the original inventor was Canadian. In fact, I think I remember reading about the baits first on here many many moons ago before it was a bigger thing. Love to see a Canadian tackle company grow and become successful. Like the Rod Glove the past few years which has had phenomenal success.

I personally have never thrown one so I can't comment on its effectiveness, but just think it is great to seee a Canuck fishing company doing well and hope we continue to support the little guys - because if we don't the Pure Fishing Empire or one of the other giants will buy up everything and our only choices will be mass-produced stuff with different names on it.

I'm maybe a freak but I don't consider those baits to be all that expensive. I use soft plastic senkos that cost like a buck a piece and I've lost them to rock bass on the first cast and on a good day have gone through 40. Would never even think to complain about it though - because if I'm catching fish on it - it's worth every penny. At least with a hardbait or a frog you can catch a bunch of fish on it. I mean rods and reels can go for $1000 a combo and a bass boat and truck are like $50-100,000. On a per fish basis - the lure/bait cost is pretty insubstantial and yet probably the single most important thing.

I'm only sponsored by my personal VISA, AMEX and MC so of course everything I say is gospel! :)

Charles

Ain`t no 1000 dollar combo`s in my boat! :w00t: my wife thinks I am certifiable for spending 300-400 on a combo, as a side note she is back on holiday again in the DR so I got another new combo! :P

Your point is well made, my plastics bag probably has some 300-400 dollars worth of stuff in it at any given time.

I may pick up a top water bait or two as I love to fish topwater but I still think the fancy paint job is more for the consumer than the fish, can a bass actually see the fancy paint job on the top of the bait? :Gonefishing:

Ain`t no 1000 dollar combo`s in my boat! :w00t: my wife thinks I am certifiable for spending 300-400 on a combo, as a side note she is back on holiday again in the DR so I got another new combo! :P

Me either Lookin, but we can dream. When new stuff appears in my garage and the wife notices (very seldom since my garage is like a condemned hazardous waste area) I just explain that I got that stuff free from my buddies who have too much. lol

I've learned to cut the tags off right away! :)

Charles

Obviously not Steve. Steve was just giving his honest opinion.

It seems funny though how the pros instantly started yapping about how incredible live targets are the moment they started pushing paychecks their way. It is not funny or peculier, it is just business.

Live Targets are wonderful as are Rapalas and a bunch of others. The fact that a few pros have switched to Live Target from Rapala does not make Live Target any better or Rapala any worse.

Just as others have said (and were not jumped on), dont fall for the hype.

Hey Grimace,

Comments like this my friend is why less and less pro's are posting on this or any board! Thanks for reminding me not to post fishing info on a fishing board that I have been a member of and supported in MANY,MANY ways for years!!!

Hey Grimace,

Comments like this my friend is why less and less pro's are posting on this or any board! Thanks for reminding me not to post fishing info on a fishing board that I have been a member of and supported in MANY,MANY ways for years!!!

NO don't let the negative nacies bring you down Dave LOL (I'm just teasing Grimace)

I like the detail on the Koppers lures. I started out with a couple of the original smelt. They worked nicely on walleye and SM bass on the French River last summer.

I saw one of the fishing shows where the swimbait herring were being used. I liked the action. I went to my local tackle store in St T to see if they had any & they had the whole line of the new Koppers. I bought a swimbait herring & I can't wait to use it on the French and the Pickeral R systems in a few months.

I'm going to get a frog or two as well.

Dave

If you ever decide to read this thread again, How do you find the live target for use in stained water. Is the rattle enough to bring the fish in, or should i still focus on the presentation of the lure ie retrieval speed and style?

I'm with Dave on this one! now I remember why I havnt posted for so long Grimace! truth is I get paid by a lure company-the one i own! not Live Target, I happen to be a fan of lures that work for me LT is Canadian and makes a quality product , there are lots of really good lures out there, I'm just stating my experiences as an angler, I dont consider myself a celebrety but I am a guy who has been successful fishing competitevly, so I use lures that I feel give me an edge, thing is for every Grimace there are lots of really nice people on this site, many of which I have met, . Hi Chris-nice to hear from you, and glad the swimmers worked for you , we are waiting for packaging -othewise they will be ready this spring, say hi the family for me! see you soon. Mark

I for one watch too much fishing shows when I'm back in Oshawa and chillin at home. Sure you only see a select amount of baits in any one show but the point is that after the show like The Show, Extreme Angler, and the Lost Lake/Classic Pattern's type shows you understand how to really fish a certain lure or technique. Classic Pattern's yesterday gave me lot's of great info on how to fish deep crankbaits right down to color, line, rod,retrieves and tips on avoiding cover etc...I would rather a show that focus on specific baits week after week, they may be the same brand as they are on the shirt but regardless any show when I can sit for a half hour and learn how to , work a LT perch for walleye,fish 1.5oz spinnerbaits deep etc.. this is why I watch TV. To talk crap about great Pro's and how they "market" everything is silly...what does a guy at a car lot do? His Job.

Keep up the post's Dave and Mark, you two rank up top in my books and when I see your posts I read them well because unlike average joe I learn from you.

Tightlines,

Mike

Edited by MikeTheBassFisher

Do they compress down as easy as the Snag Proof Perfect frogs Steve? Only thing I'm not sure about, needs to be a good soft frog or appearance doesn't matter.

Mike

I havent used them yet Mike, but they are a very soft frog, I wouldnt have bought them otherwise. I'm really excited to try them out

You can imply that I am not a nice person all you want. It is not a correct assertion, and is based on little evidence as we have never met.

I stand by my words that state when people are paid to sell something or endorse it they will lose a bit of credibility with some people. Others will take there fame on faith trust them 100 percent. I am in the first group.

Hey Grimace,

I did not see anything wrong with what Grimace posted, after all it`s a discussion board Dave and there are going to be differing opinions.

I think most here understand what the "pro`s" job is and that is to sell product if there was no product to sell there would be no magazines,tv shows,trade shows etc.

It would be to bad if you decide to adandon this site and all the members here that have supported you and your sponsors for years just because one member posted something you didn`t like!!! :Gonefishing: