Unbelievable!

blizzcat

I used to just think of myself as a fisherman's girlfriend, but I can tell now I am definately a fishergirl in my own right. haha

I'm having dinner with some friends and one of them had a cousin from Germany over. I was asking him what he did when he was here, he said he went to Vaughan Mills Mall. so instantly I go "DID YOU VISIT BASS PRO SHOP???" (Considering my boyfriend and I practically live in that store I was psyched to see what he thought). He starts to go on about how crazy it is you can buy a boat in a store and how they don't have malls in Germany. I say "Yeah but did you see the fishing stuff?!" He says "You fish?" and quickly I'm like "YEAH ^_^ it's the best!" thinking of course that it will be a positive.

and (I kid you not.) he says "But... how can you stand it.. fishing is like the most mind-numbing boring thing there is."

O_o.....

I was outraged!!!!

I start to tell him about fly fishing and looking for pools and currents, and figuring out what fly and lure to use, and the different seasons and about how gorgeous some of the fish are and the beauty of Ontario rivers and lakes...

and he goes "you just sit on a boat doing nothing for hours"

.... .....

"... WELL clearly you've never caught a fish before." -me

END of conversation. I was so ticked off.. lol 6 years ago I'd never been fishing before, and now I couldn't believe I took it so personally!

;) Guess I'm a fully converted fishergirlfriend.

Edited by Lyra

Very good on ya my wife loves to fish and has since she was a little girl. I am also lucky as my daughter is hooked on camping fishing and boating there is nothing better then having a family that all love to get out fishing it sure does make the summer go by better.

It also helps me to get out fishing as much as possible in the fall as my wife can not stand the cold but she knows how much I love to get out and what relief from the stress of the real world it brings so I never have to explain why I need to get out fishing.

Keep up the positive preaching for this great sport and dont waist your time with the ones who dont understand it leaves more room on the banks and less boats on the water to be driving around doing nothing :whistling:

Lyra,

My Austrian cousins are like that as well. They don't get out much to fish and mostly pretty boring stuff to them. Also, its darn expensive over there to get your fishing licence as well so they don't bother with it to much. You got to take the equivalent of a university course to get a licence over there so it remains an elitist hobby for most.

Your boyfriend is lucky and an idiot when he dumps you. Shoot me a PM :stretcher::whistling:

Atta boy. I got a good chuckle out of that.

Hey Lyra, there are acouple different types of anglers. People who like to fish and people who like to catch fish. Clearly you are the former. Good for you.

Try these.

I understand -

“Some folks find flyfishing too cerebral.”

“Some folks just haven't got the patience for fishing.”

“Some folks just can't stay focused long enough to truly enjoy fishing.”

“Some folks need the instant gratification that fishing seldom gives.”

Ask “What are your favourite diversions?” Then give them the raised eyebrow if they name stuff like watching tv sports and casually mention “I like to get out doors but, hey, whatever suits you best.”

It doesn't hurt to let a little condescending tone sneak in.

Well the guy was right about one thing.In europe carp angling is number one. You may in fact sit for days never mind hours waiting for a fish to take your bait.

The opportunities to fish there are much much less there compared to Canada. The idea that you can just buy a licence and then just go fishing is completely foreign to them. You may have to take a course and buy a licence for each individual species of fish, you may need a separate license to fish at night. Fishing out of a boat is far less popular there and all the land is owned. So you will require permission and quite often fees are charged even on property owed by municipal governments.

We are truly blessed with abundance here as far as fishing goes.

hahaha I love all the comments here! I knew OFNers would understand my outrage! :D

“Some folks just can't stay focused long enough to truly enjoy fishing.” - I wish I'd thought of that one at the time! lol

and "Just think how much more crowded the water would be if everyone like fishing" - so true! Keep the obnoxious away from our lakes and rivers.