Pairing a rod with a Patriarch 9525

Gregoire

I am looking to pair my Patriarch with a rod for finesse presentations. So far I am having trouble finding exactly what I want.

I would not be against having a rod built, as I can't seem to find exactly what I want. How much would a custom rod cost?

I am looking for a 7ft rod. I want at least a 2 piece as storage and transportation is an issue for me. I would prefer 3 or 4 pieces. I am planning on using light braid so I think I want a medium action rod. I've looked at Norfolk, but not sure what it would be like to get it shipped to Toronto, delivery to the states is not an option for me. I would prefer to buy Canadian anyway, I'm just not sure if I can afford it.

If anyone has an idea of a production rod I would appreciate the help.

I'd go custom. I actually am going custom with the same reel. I hear Spiel makes good stuff =) I am building my custom off a Phenix UMBX-S606L-B blank. The possibilities are endless =) But if I had to buy a production rod to pair the patriarch with I would have gone with (however they are only available in a 1 piece)

http://www.tacklewarehouse.com/Zombie_Rod__Tackle_Spinning_Rods/descpage-ZRTS.html

or

http://www.tacklewarehouse.com/Daiwa_Steez_SPX_Mega_Top_Spinning_Rods/descpage-DSPXS.html

Good luck with whatever you go with.

I'd go custom. I actually am going custom with the same reel. I hear Spiel makes good stuff =) I am building my custom off a Phenix UMBX-S606L-B blank. The possibilities are endless =) But if I had to buy a production rod to pair the patriarch with I would have gone with (however they are only available in a 1 piece)

http://www.tacklewarehouse.com/Zombie_Rod__Tackle_Spinning_Rods/descpage-ZRTS.html

or

http://www.tacklewarehouse.com/Daiwa_Steez_SPX_Mega_Top_Spinning_Rods/descpage-DSPXS.html

Good luck with whatever you go with.

While I am not opposed to spending that money I would prefer not to. I would like to keep my budget around 200. I imagine for what I am looking for I may have to go above budget. At least I have some time to save up as I will not be using this rod until June. I'm also wondering why you would prefer a fast or extra fast action? I figured for finesse fishing and using braid a medium action would stop me from pulling the hook out of the fishes mouth, and cover for my eagerness/inexperience.

Edited by fishgreg

St Croix has some Legend Elite and Xtreme's that are 2 piece. Same with there Avids, I got a Avid...it's nice and lite.

I've looked at the avid. That and a G loomis are factory produced rods that I would consider. For some reason I would love a 3 piece rod. That is why I was thinking of going the custom made route. If I buy off the shelf the Avid AVS70ULM2 is what I would probably go for.

While I am not opposed to spending that money I would prefer not to. I would like to keep my budget around 200. I imagine for what I am looking for I may have to go above budget. At least I have some time to save up as I will not be using this rod until June. I'm also wondering why you would prefer a fast or extra fast action? I figured for finesse fishing and using braid a medium action would stop me from pulling the hook out of the fishes mouth, and cover for my eagerness/inexperience.

That is where we differ. I personally would want that fast/extra fast for the added power of driving that hook through the fish's mouth. Just got to be a little more patient before setting that hook =)

That is where we differ. I personally would want that fast/extra fast for the added power of driving that hook

through the fish's mouth. Just got to be a little more patient before setting that hook.

I find the emphasis on big powerful hooksets a little rediculous. Most species I'll be targeting with this rod have fairly delicate mouths. I also know that I tend to pull fairly quickly on a take (I guess from years of fishing jerbaits) and need the buffer a

Medium action rod provides.

I don't think a medium action rod would be any less powerful in the hookset.

Edited by fishgreg