Ford Escape

baironhorse

Looking for a little Truuck for wife....Ford Escape V6 4wd Limited with tow package model....Is it all wheel drive or does it have 4x4? Curious to know experiences towing boat (16ft aluminum)- how does it fare in/out of launches and more importantly driving in snowy conditions (and I mean country snow driving not in City. You thoughts.

Thanks

Edited by Ironhorse

Little truck for the wife ehwhistling.gif Towing boat...boat launches...Are you SURE its for the wifewhistling.gif

Great small suv. 2 or 4 wheel, not sure about AWD. Had mine for 4 years never a problem. Lots of power to pull a boat, or small camper. Get the towing package.Drove mine often on the 417 in winter between MTL and Ottawa without problems.Lots of cargo space, and a good quiet ride.

Also have a 2008 Escape, V6 2WD and tow a 16' Aluminum with 75 HP and 9.9 kicker. It tows it very well and have had no issues at any launch. I had the dealer add an extra tranny cooler. They kept saying you don't need it....I said I WANT IT ANYWAY!

As for snow.... I would definitely get winter tires whether you have 2WD or 4WD. Huge difference.

If you are looking at new, I would get the optional running boards...easy access to roof racks, easy to wash and keeps all the snow off the sides. THEY ARE AWESOME!!

FT

Little truck for the wife ehwhistling.gif Towing boat...boat launches...Are you SURE its for the wifewhistling.gif

lol I was thinkin the same thing...

I don't have any experience with them - nice little SUV's though.. I'd have likely bought one if I didn't go and get my wife pregnant again... the escape is to small for 3 car seats.

The wife was recently researching smaller SUV/Crossovers and the Escape and the Dodge Journey made the short list and ultimately she choose the Journey.

The Escape is a nice vehicle but with incentives the Journey was a much better buy, we got a fully loaded AWD RT model for a little more than a basic FWD Escape.

Never towed with one but I had a V6 2wd that I really liked. Great performance and handled really well. As RAF says they are AWD rather than 4wd. Never towed with one but I see them one the road with 16' tinnies on the back and they seem to handle it OK.

I had a 2002 V6 4X4....unlike the newer ones the 2002 was a 4X4 as you had a selector on the dash to lock in 4X4 otherwise it was AWD....for some reason Ford took that option away.

The 2002 with towing package also came with a extra tranny cooler and when I tow cross country in 2006 I added another tranny cooler to tow a 3000K trailer in the Rocky Mountains.

As for towing my 16 aluminum boat it was great EXCEPT I could never get use to looking in the rear view mirror and seeing ALL BOAT...I was use to seeing over it with other trucks I have owned.

When I was fully loaded for a week of Canadian fishing I would take it easy on the QEW, 401, etc....because of reduced stopping power....Now with my Tundra I pass almost everyone......

Repair wise I had the following expensive's for 60,000 miles

Replace front brakes and rotors (rotors twice) for our trip out west.

Tires

Anti-Lock brakes

Rear axle seal

Sun Roof Switch

Front Passenger power window motor

Bob

I had a 2002 V6 4X4....unlike the newer ones the 2002 was a 4X4 as you had a selector on the dash to lock in 4X4 otherwise it was AWD....for some reason Ford took that option away.

The 2002 with towing package also came with a extra tranny cooler and when I tow cross country in 2006 I added another tranny cooler to tow a 3000K trailer in the Rocky Mountains.

As for towing my 16 aluminum boat it was great EXCEPT I could never get use to looking in the rear view mirror and seeing ALL BOAT...I was use to seeing over it with other trucks I have owned.

When I was fully loaded for a week of Canadian fishing I would take it easy on the QEW, 401, etc....because of reduced stopping power....Now with my Tundra I pass almost everyone......

Repair wise I had the following expensive's for 60,000 miles

Replace front brakes and rotors (rotors twice) for our trip out west.

Tires

Anti-Lock brakes

Rear axle seal

Sun Roof Switch

Front Passenger power window motor

Bob

I had a Honda CRV 2003 that I pulled a 17' Princecraft with and never had problems. I bought a 2010 Escape last spring and it does a great job with the boat. I like the wider tires and theheavier vehicle on the Escape for stability if it's windy. The all wheel drive works great on launches that are more difficult.

Dan O.