I Love My Neighbour

solopaddler

Hi guys I am back after a while but had to add to this post, I cleared half my drive this morning to get the work truck out, but cleared all the sidewalk up the neighbourhood with my snowblower. We have a guy around the corner with a landscape and plowing company that plowed a lane down the street and through the big plow drift at the end of the street so we could get on the main road. I called the wife this afternoon and she told me that my neighbour ( retired firefighter) cleaned the rest of our drive because he feels guilty that we get most of the snow drifts as opposed to him ( great guy)! There are 4 of us with snowblowers and we will always helpthe other neighbours and clear as much of the sidewalks as we can, hell I already started the machine whats anothers 2 bucks of gas to help my neighbours out and they do the same in return.

and after a real long shift no less... :thumbsup_anim:

i have a lot of older italian gents in my neighborhood so i don't get much help, but it is amusing to see them have their driveway perfectly scraped to concrete at all times. some of these old retired guys are so vigilant, i wonder if they catch the snowflakes before they even hit the drive way. the same guys water their driveways all summer to ensure no dirt/dust is ever present...

Then their wives place clear plastic over their driveways so they don't get dirty again. :lol:

Edited by DRIFTER_016

Where we used to live there was an elderly couple beside us. At first it was a little annoying but you have to have some compassion and patiance for our elders. I showed them how to bend at the knees to releive some back strain and it wasn't long before they mastered the technique; they could have my driveway done in under an hour :P

Today was spent patroling the neighbourhood after dropping my wife off at work. We haven't seen a plow yet and I don't think we will for a couple of days (that's the norm). I ended up towing/pushing or driving 11 vehicles out of snow drifts and trail grooming with the Suburban so the other vehicles in the neighbourhood could get in and out.

Ironic that I should be maintaining the road and hauling my garbage back to the house because it wasen't picked up on the same day that I get my invoice for 5 easy payments of $900 for property taxes.

Our old neighbor used to really look after Debbe. If I was gone in the spring on a fly in fishing trip he would always cut the grass for her. And in the winter I swore he sat at his window and if he saw her out shoveling snow he would be out immediately with his snowblower to do it for her. If he saw me out there he would just come out to talk :blahblah1: :blahblah1: :angry:

So it became a little game we played at our house if it snowed. Debbe would go out first and start shoveling. If Ben never showed up I would go out and finish it.

He blew alot of snow for us over the years with his snow blower so I made sure he always got lotsa goodies from my vegetable garden in the summer. And he was always happy to get the 2 or 3 hens I kept every year for roe. We have been blessed with alot of great neighbors really, I'm glad we moved here in 1988.

Edited by crappieperchhunter

Well, since I posted 2 hours ago about doing everybodies driveways plus the road, we've had another 3-4" of snow and it's still coming down hard and looks like I did nuthin all day.

Oh well, at least now I've got something to do tomorrow :lol:

Well, since I posted 2 hours ago about doing everybodies driveways plus the road, we've had another 3-4" of snow and it's still coming down hard and looks like I did nuthin all day.

Oh well, at least now I've got something to do tomorrow :lol:

I hear ya Lew! But I have to work tomorrow so I guess one last go around 10PM and then the rest are to fend for themselves and do it.

When I was living out in the country near Luther Marsh our neighbour would come and do our driveway after a big storm. Two passes and our 220 foot driveway would be clear.

Gotta like the old John Dear tracter with the 8' double auger bolwer mounted on the back. :thumbsup_anim::thumbsup_anim:

When my dad had his heart attack in the middle of winter a few years ago and the ambulance couldn't get up the driveway the neighbours were there in a pinch to blow the driveway. :clapping::clapping:

My neighbours are awesome, 3 of them watch the kids until I get home, without hesitation. Both neighbour on either side of me are older, and likewise, I help them as much as possible.

I use the neighbours snow blower and do everyones driveway, leaving mine for last.

This is Canada guys what do you expect for most cases the only time we see our neighbors is when some one yells out there front door FREE BEER MY HOUSE TONIGHT or when we get heavy snow. That is how my neighborhood is I just met Frank today we have both lived on the street over 11 years and never met always said Hi when passing or waved but never stopped to chat until he caught me doing his driveway today LOL.

I will always do the sidewalks here and end of driveways after MR. Plow comes by just to help out.

It is sad that there is a lady living next door to me with twin 20 year old boys in great shape but they will not get out to do there side walks or back driveway to lazy or cant get the long pipe from there mouths :jerry: to help her out. But across the street his son drives over to do there place after doing all other family members houses I try and get there first.

Cu-does to all who help out after all that is what were supposed to do I guess.

One of my favourite things to do - clear several of the neighbours drives around me. Takes me about 10 minutes to clear my little drive most of the time - the blower barely gets warmed up - so off i go to find more to do. Everyone is grateful and that's all that matters. I can't stand to see any of my older neighbours out there struggling with a bloody shovel. Some day if I'm lucky enough to get old - maybe someone will think of me. In the mean time it's great to help out my neighbours and be part of the neighbourhood.

I'm now back from doing the base of 5 driveways now that the plow has gone by. another family was out doing a few by them too, just a few houses down. and I know I'll have to get out there again because it's still snowing like a bugger here.

Went home early yesterday to clean up and my driveway was done! tat was treat and had a good idea who did it with the lunch they had! What the heck everyone else had also cleaned up except for my next door. Had started the blower for a why so away I went at it. As I brushed off the blower he pull up, loved the look on his face! Anytime I need stainless steel he is my man.

I was shovelling the snow the plow had left at the bottom of my driveway last night, when one of my female 35yrs old ish neighbours appears and asks me if I need some help. Needless to say I was rather suprised, considering i'm 25 and not exactly a spring chicken. Something tells me she wanted something else :dunno:..... :thumbsup_anim:. The wife was indoors, and the nice guy that I am I didn't want her feeling guilty for not helping me, so I declined the offer.

Edited by Fish4Eyes