PTTS - awesome show - anyone know why no one wears a PFD?

charlesn

With the amount of boat chop and guys leaning way out over the boats to gaff a fish or even to leader release - I'm sure people have fallen overboard. Heck people fall overboard all the time in calm waters, never mind a crazy washing tub of 40-50 boats in a concentrated area. So I was thinking to myself, is the reason for no PFDs that it would act as like some sort of an attractant to the 18' hammerhead sharks that are around trying to eat those 100-200 lb tarpons?

I was thinking maybe a good swimmer would be impeded by a PFD and thus act like a giant human sized spook topwater in the ocean for those big bull sharks and hammerheads.

I've watched probably 15 episodes and I don't think I've ever seen one PFD worn (inflatable or otherwise). I can see how it would be an encumberance fighting those giant fish - but for the dudes leaning way over... Wow. And how about leaning way over while an 18' hammerhead decides to come up for a bite.

I'd love to do this some day but I think I'd want a floating chainmail armor suit of some sort because I have geteatenbyasharkaphobia.

Hope those enjoying the hardwater are doing well.

Charles

With the amount of boat chop and guys leaning way out over the boats to gaff a fish or even to leader release - I'm sure people have fallen overboard. Heck people fall overboard all the time in calm waters, never mind a crazy washing tub of 40-50 boats in a concentrated area. So I was thinking to myself, is the reason for no PFDs that it would act as like some sort of an attractant to the 18' hammerhead sharks that are around trying to eat those 100-200 lb tarpons?

I was thinking maybe a good swimmer would be impeded by a PFD and thus act like a giant human sized spook topwater in the ocean for those big bull sharks and hammerheads.

I've watched probably 15 episodes and I don't think I've ever seen one PFD worn (inflatable or otherwise). I can see how it would be an encumberance fighting those giant fish - but for the dudes leaning way over... Wow. And how about leaning way over while an 18' hammerhead decides to come up for a bite.

I'd love to do this some day but I think I'd want a floating chainmail armor suit of some sort because I have geteatenbyasharkaphobia.

Hope those enjoying the hardwater are doing well.

Charles

I don't have any ideea why nobody wears a PFD in Bocca Grande, I'm also

wonderind why my PFD (Mustang Survivor Automatic with Hydrostatic Inflator Technology)is not recommended for non-swimers or week swimmers .

Edited by peterc

The American Angler on shows such as this, is impervious to to sharks, sunburn, skin cancer, and common sense.

That stuff only happens to the "other guy"!

Personally, I might favour the same Stainless Steel 'shark suit' worn by the guys, that take us Canadian tourists on the 'shark dives', common in the Bahamas, and the keys. And a bottle of sunscreen, SPF 30, just in case.lol :sarcasm: .

Edited by floatman55

You would need a PFD,concidering the amount of sun block you put on,you would slip over board. :tease:

Nice to hear from you Charles,hope alls well.

When you fish from a large boat 20ft plus the rails are taller, the platform is more stable and your ability to move around in a bigger area makes mishaps less likely.I haven't put on a life jacket on the 28ft but once and that was because we were busting 7ft waves at 25 mph. On the other hand you wear a life jacket before I even start the bass boat because it lacks the 3 features the big boat has. The conditions that you fish in are what dictate when you wear your life jacket if the conditions make you uncomfortable then wear it. Sometimes the law takes that decision out of your hands but if it doesn't and you chose not to wear one it does not point to a lack of common sense. I can't count the number of times we have stood on the back platform to land 50 lb plus fish without a mishap. Heck most of the time we have a hard enough time getting the mate to not jump in the water to cool off after a good fish. Don't get me wrong I think life jackets are a big plus and if you can't swim on my boat you are wearing one 24/7 but if you are a rational adult it is still your decision to wear one or not.

Art

I'd be a lot more worried about a bunch of little bass boats zipping around on Lake Erie full of anglers not wearing PFD's than the dudes on the giant tarpon boats that are made for casting stability and rough water..

What a great show. Did you see that hammerhead chasing the boat. Straight out of Jaws! I love the PTTS format. Fun to watch

Yes, that was incredible with the other boat literally trying to hit it with their outboard to keep it off the tarpon.

I'm guessing the guys talking about the high gunwales and big stable platforms have never watched the show. No big deal, but you really need to watch the show to get an appreciation of what I am talking about. These are not big 30+'ers, these are relatively small bay boats and these guys are laid out on the deck with a minimum of 1/3rd of their body over the gunwale in order to try to gaff a fish that can be upwards of 200 lbs. And one of the teams had a fish right beside the boat that had a chunk taken out of it by a bull shark. Add to that the fact that they are oftentimes in very close proximity to other boats. Like close enough to have to hand rods off to each other to prevent tangling. All with outboard motors constantly running and thus churning up the water causing wakes from every which direction and often the need for quick maneuvres to prevent collisions and or chase off sharks. It's really a spectacle and probably my favorite show right now.

Hey Brian, that was just for good luck and it worked! lol

Charles