St Crap Ice Rods

Radnine

What...... No love for the frabill or Dave Genz rods????? These rods (sans the dave genz reel) have been wonderful. Sensitive and durable, great to fish with either mono or braid.

Just bought a $16 Bob Izumi rod from Lebarons, any reviews on this?

I do have two of them since last season. These are good rods for me. One is ultra light, second - medium. I had to change ultra-light because of issue with tip on it(it wasn't broken - just was defective and i didn't see that, but replacement is still working just fine. I am pretty happy with them, specially i really do like the reel handles and sensitivity.

Edited by Cosmos

I have 5 of these HT bob Izumi rods...the build quality us ok.. Just make sure all the guides are straight

before you purchase

My wife broke one so far cause the tip guide is small and while she was reeling te ice build up on the line was reeled up which then snapped the tip of the rod

The rod that broke is very thin for light biting perch

What...... No love for the frabill or Dave Genz rods????? These rods (sans the dave genz reel) have been wonderful. Sensitive and durable, great to fish with either mono or braid.

Just bought a $16 Bob Izumi rod from Lebarons, any reviews on this?

Bob Izumi ice fishing rod is very sensitive but the guides are to small. I have to remove the ice from the tip guide every time I reel in. When you fish outside is very annoying.Good rod though

Thanks for the feedback on the Izumi rods, nice looking rod, bought the med/hvy rod for the lakers and whities, going to test is out this weekend.

As for the St. Croix, I have a premiere, and love that rod as well, just remember to toss the reel if you bought the combo.... The one that comes in the plastic tube looks and feels flimsy, and doesn't have a cork handle... I need cork.

Have had 3 St. Croix Legend Ice Rods for 3 seasons now and not an issue. The only thing I don't like about them is that they are short. This season I went to Thorne Bro's custom ice rods and absolutely love them.

I have a theory... I don't fish with crap equipment in the summer, so why would I fish with crap equipment in the winter? I'm targeting the same trophy fish both season's. I decided this when I got spooled by a big trout using a crappy Canadian Tire ice combo with a junk reel that had a poor drag system. Now I use my Shimano Stradics 12 months a year and put them on nice graphite rods.

But hey, whatever works for you!

Ive never had any issues with st croix at all. Ive put them to the test.

As for the tip just falling off,whistling.gif , compare its length to another one.

A store I worked at way back when, no longer around btw. The dept manager usually goofed up. Broken rods at the tip were cut and had tips installed, by him ofcourse forgetting to glue them in. Not to mention the compound bow that exploded in the store one day, while restringing it.

Icefishing rod are small and they get caught in everything so they are easily broken. What I did for all my rods is that I bought those black plastic tubes that CTC sells to separate all the golf clubs in a golf bag. I cut them done to size, cut a notch in it for the reel , loosen my drag all the way and just slide the rod in and store in a rod case. I have a few St.Croix, broke one of them a few years back but can't blame the rod for that.

Have had 3 St. Croix Legend Ice Rods for 3 seasons now and not an issue. I have a theory... I don't fish with crap equipment in the summer, so why would I fish with crap equipment in the winter? But hey, whatever works for you!

Exactly Ben. I am a St Croix guy (I own four of their full size rods) which is why I paid for the "quality" in an ice rod. 100% of yours have been good and 100% of mine have been rubbish.

I have a few St.Croix, broke one of them a few years back but can't blame the rod for that.

At least you had a chance to break yours. Mine fell apart.

Yours must have been built on a friday afternoon or a monday morning :wallbash:

I did get an ice rod once from them where the reel seat and the line guides weren't even close to lined up right. Just brought it back where it came from and they replaced it.

Anyways, hope you find some new stuff that works for ya.

I have alot of ice rods in my hut usually. This is mainly cause I guide people and have to take all the gear along. I have found that one of my sponsors has made it alot easier for me this season with their Ice Glove that protects the rod from getting tangled and damaged. www.therodglove.com I have bought a few St Croix this season and must say that they are a great rod so far. Like others have stated that ice rods tend to get beaten up alot. Thus resulting in damaged rods. One of my Favorites is Thorn Brothers and one Frabill but different strokes for different folks I guess.

Guest gbfisher

Have had 3 St. Croix Legend Ice Rods for 3 seasons now and not an issue. The only thing I don't like about them is that they are short. This season I went to Thorne Bro's custom ice rods and absolutely love them.

I have a theory... I don't fish with crap equipment in the summer, so why would I fish with crap equipment in the winter? I'm targeting the same trophy fish both season's. I decided this when I got spooled by a big trout using a crappy Canadian Tire ice combo with a junk reel that had a poor drag system. Now I use my Shimano Stradics 12 months a year and put them on nice graphite rods.

But hey, whatever works for you!

I only use the St Croix rods for perching lol. That' s all they can handle :lol:

I use my summer reels and better rods for the real fish. :D

You don't need a fancy ice rod. The cheapo's work just fine, trust me. |My most expensive ice rod cost me $30, and I've had it for years and years. I don't even know the brand name, it doesn't matter. As long as it feels good in your hand, and balances with the reel you intend to use, your good to go. Ice gear takes a beating, I'd rather have somthing that is tough, and will last, than the newest brand name that looks cool, but breaks on the first trip!!

My go to ice rod is a 36" mitchell that I got at canadian tire probably close to 20 years ago. I could fill a truck with all the fish I've caught on it, and its never given me any grief at all. Tough, and works like a charm!

S.

At the end of the day, if someone can afford something nice, and wants to pay for it, then they have the option of laying out the cash and enjoying something a little more polished. Further to that, some folks like quality, plain and simple. I can cut wood with a homelite, but I own a pro grade husky. Your absolutely right, you don't need expensive items to succeed. And there have been many times in my life when I made do with less expensive items, and did just fine. Not just in fishing, but in life in general. Further, there was a time when I hunted with an 870, used plastic decoys, and goose silhouettes that I made myself. I also made my own tip ups, bought used gear whenI could, and generally had to keep things really tight. I am happy that I am in a position where, while I can't afford the best of everything, I can have a few nice items to make me feel good. It won't make you a better sportsman, but to say that quality items don't last and will break on the first trip is a bit of a mistatement. I have had more failures due to cheap equipment than I have due to quality gear. Its all a matter of perspective. For me, St. Croix has been excellent. I have a 15 year old st. croix steelhead rod that has taken more beating than a rod deserves to, and is still cracking along just fine! The ice rods that I have, so far have shown similar quality. Just a different point of view!

At the end of the day, if someone can afford something nice, and wants to pay for it, then they have the option of laying out the cash and enjoying something a little more polished. Further to that, some folks like quality, plain and simple. I can cut wood with a homelite, but I own a pro grade husky. Your absolutely right, you don't need expensive items to succeed. And there have been many times in my life when I made do with less expensive items, and did just fine. Not just in fishing, but in life in general. Further, there was a time when I hunted with an 870, used plastic decoys, and goose silhouettes that I made myself. I also made my own tip ups, bought used gear whenI could, and generally had to keep things really tight. I am happy that I am in a position where, while I can't afford the best of everything, I can have a few nice items to make me feel good. It won't make you a better sportsman, but to say that quality items don't last and will break on the first trip is a bit of a mistatement. I have had more failures due to cheap equipment than I have due to quality gear. Its all a matter of perspective. For me, St. Croix has been excellent. I have a 15 year old st. croix steelhead rod that has taken more beating than a rod deserves to, and is still cracking along just fine! The ice rods that I have, so far have shown similar quality. Just a different point of view!

I just see no point in wasting money for nuthin I guess. What I use works for me, so why fix whats not broken.

A lot of guys think that because they have the best of everything, they are better fisherman. Sooooo no true!! Just because you have a high end rod/reel, doesn't mean squat!

P.S. I still use my trusty 870, why change now?? :) My plastic decoys work good too, ya just gotta know where to put 'em, and how to put 'em there ;) You can have all the best waterfowl gear you want, but if you can't shoot, it's not gonna help, right? :P

S.

I just see no point in wasting money for nuthin I guess. What I use works for me, so why fix whats not broken.

A lot of guys think that because they have the best of everything, they are better fisherman. Sooooo no true!! Just because you have a high end rod/reel, doesn't mean squat!

P.S. I still use my trusty 870, why change now?? :) My plastic decoys work good too, ya just gotta know where to put 'em, and how to put 'em there ;) You can have all the best waterfowl gear you want, but if you can't shoot, it's not gonna help, right? :P

S.

I think that you have hit the nail on the head. The reason that this upset me so much is that I feel like a poser for thinking that I needed a $50 ice rod for my first kick at the can. Only to have it fall to bits. I feel stupid I guess for having anything better to do with $50.

Then to add insult to injury, St Croix essentially says "why are you calling us, just glue it back on" I mean all they had to do is say "Sorry, here is a new rod and a St Croix hat!" and I'd be posting about how great their customer service is.

Jim

There are days in February when the only indication of a bite is a 1mm lift of the spring indicator which comes with a Legend .For me, that is FISH ON.A video camera will show

the fish engulfing the bait for 3 seconds or more .If I use a regular ice rod is "they don't bite today".The other bite indicators are poorly made. I have them all including the titanium one

I also have a Fuji gluestick for guides in case of emergencies. And like they say "I better drive a BMW than a Lada".

Peter

Edited by peterc

Fellas, your absolutely right. Expensive items won't make you a better outdoorsman, but historically, quality items are less prone to failure when you need them most. That's not to say they won't crap out, but there is less chances. You won't see a police constable packing a norinco, or a decent mechanic using jobmate tools. All that being said, j saw a Stihl chAinsaw go teats up on a trail clearing weekend at our hunt camp last fall, so anything is possible! As long as your happy with what you have, that's all that counts! I'm happy with my st. Croix

Radnine, I think its the posers of the fishing world that drive me nuts!! These guys with more bells and whistles than I care to mention, but have no clue how to catch fish. I've seen it so many times, I can't even count it. The self proclaimed "pros". No experience, just fancy gear!!

I don't need top of the line gear to catch fish. Experience, and time on the water is far more valuable than an expensive ice rod.

Peterc,

I won't use a freakin bite indicator.......useless. If you don't know when your getting a bite by watching your line, you need to spend more time paying attention!!! Either that, or your gear is too heavy to show your getting bit!! I've tried them, and in my experience, they SUCK!!!

S.

I won't use a freakin bite indicator.......useless. If you don't know when your getting a bite by watching your line, you need to spend more time paying attention!!! Either that, or your gear is too heavy to show your getting bit!! I've tried them, and in my experience, they SUCK!!!

S.

I concur.

....I don't need top of the line gear to catch fish. Experience, and time on the water is far more valuable than an expensive ice rod.....

I couldn't agree more on that statement :)

I for myself only use the Walmart reel / rod combo special at $22.99..... Good enough for me :)

Leechman

Edited by Leechman

The fibers on my premiere started splitting the first time I had it out.. I was going send it back but that's another 15-20 bucks that I could just buy another ice rod with..

This thread got me thinking and I phoned up gagnons to see if they would just replace it (without recipt)and they did!! I got the medium instead of the medium light and it feels great, can't wait to try it out lol.

Edited by GoneFishin