St Crap Ice Rods

Radnine

Hi All,

I eluded to this in an earlier post but thought it deserved a post of its own.

I recently purchased a $50 St Croix Legend ice rod (note: $50 for the rod only)as my intro into ice fishing equipment. It lasted one day before the guide fell off of the end of the rod. Fortunately (or unfortunately) it fell off in my friend's living room and not in the middle of a lake, ruining a trip.

I have since returned the rod to my retailer and loaded up with cheaper Rapala combos from Canadian Tire.

I was very disappointed with St Croix's response which was essentially "Yeah, ship it back and we'll fix it, or you can glue it back on yourself". I think I will stick with Canadian Tire saying "here you go, have another one!".

Regards,

Jim

If anyone is looking for a very good ice rod may I suggest a new rod manufacturer called SIMAX rods. I was lucky enough to get a sponsorhip deal with them for this up coming year. I got my hands on some of their ice rods recently and all I can say is WOW. They retail for 30 bucks and come in 4 different actions. Med,Med/heavy,Med/light, and Light. I took them out with me on simcoe for a test run and amazing. They also have 3 different lines of spinning and casting rods also amazing. If youhave any questions drop me a line.

Todd

Hi All,

I eluded to this in an earlier post but thought it deserved a post of its own.

I recently purchased a $50 St Croix Legend ice rod (note: $50 for the rod only)as my intro into ice fishing equipment. It lasted one day before the guide fell off of the end of the rod. Fortunately (or unfortunately) it fell off in my friend's living room and not in the middle of a lake, ruining a trip.

I have since returned the rod to my retailer and loaded up with cheaper Rapala combos from Canadian Tire.

I was very disappointed with St Croix's response which was essentially "Yeah, ship it back and we'll fix it, or you can glue it back on yourself". I think I will stick with Canadian Tire saying "here you go, have another one!".

Regards,

Jim

Interesting, going to use my new Premiers this weekend. See how they hold up.

I bought one of the premiers when they were on sale at BPS last spring. Broke the tip on my second trip this yr.

I find the best ice rods are the cheap crappy tire/walmart specials.

I bought one of the premiers when they were on sale at BPS last spring. Broke the tip on my second trip this yr.

I find the best ice rods are the cheap crappy tire/walmart specials.

Yikes!!!! I've heard lots of good things as well...time will tell, might go to a Thorne Bros, or Jason Mitchell if I'm not too happy with these.

I bought a few of the legends perch weight rods a few years ago on clearance at a now closed fishing shop. They have a lot of miles on them, and have been fantastic!!! Couldn't be happier! I also have several of the premiers that I use for pickeral, lakers and whities, and they have also been excellent! Sorry to hear about your luck, but my experience has been great!

You don't need a fancy ice rod. The cheapo's work just fine, trust me. |My most expensive ice rod cost me $30, and I've had it for years and years. I don't even know the brand name, it doesn't matter. As long as it feels good in your hand, and balances with the reel you intend to use, your good to go. Ice gear takes a beating, I'd rather have somthing that is tough, and will last, than the newest brand name that looks cool, but breaks on the first trip!!

My go to ice rod is a 36" mitchell that I got at canadian tire probably close to 20 years ago. I could fill a truck with all the fish I've caught on it, and its never given me any grief at all. Tough, and works like a charm!

S.

Yikes!!!! I've heard lots of good things as well...time will tell, might go to a Thorne Bros, or Jason Mitchell if I'm not too happy with these.

I've got a St Croix which is a nice rod but nothing compares to the Thorne Bros ice rods there simply the finest ice sticks available.They are pricey but are worth every penny, these boys have perfected the modern day ice rod.

If anyone is looking for a very good ice rod may I suggest a new rod manufacturer called SIMAX rods. I was lucky enough to get a sponsorhip deal with them for this up coming year. I got my hands on some of their ice rods recently and all I can say is WOW. They retail for 30 bucks and come in 4 different actions. Med,Med/heavy,Med/light, and Light. I took them out with me on simcoe for a test run and amazing. They also have 3 different lines of spinning and casting rods also amazing. If youhave any questions drop me a line.

Todd

Can you hook me up with a Light action one?

You don't need a fancy ice rod. The cheapo's work just fine, trust me. |My most expensive ice rod cost me $30, and I've had it for years and years. I don't even know the brand name, it doesn't matter. As long as it feels good in your hand, and balances with the reel you intend to use, your good to go. Ice gear takes a beating, I'd rather have somthing that is tough, and will last, than the newest brand name that looks cool, but breaks on the first trip!!

My go to ice rod is a 36" mitchell that I got at canadian tire probably close to 20 years ago. I could fill a truck with all the fish I've caught on it, and its never given me any grief at all. Tough, and works like a charm!

S.

$19.00 to $30.00 CTC ice rod combos is all I ever use. I do change the line on most of them but that is about it. I don't know if I could fill a truck but I'd fill a good sized trailer!

$19.00 to $30.00 CTC ice rod combos is all I ever use. I do change the line on most of them but that is about it. I don't know if I could fill a truck but I'd fill a good sized trailer!

Nice! I only paid $32 for my St. Croix combos, so not a monetary disaster if they end up disappointing.

If anyone is looking for a very good ice rod may I suggest a new rod manufacturer called SIMAX rods. I was lucky enough to get a sponsorhip deal with them for this up coming year. I got my hands on some of their ice rods recently and all I can say is WOW. They retail for 30 bucks and come in 4 different actions. Med,Med/heavy,Med/light, and Light. I took them out with me on simcoe for a test run and amazing. They also have 3 different lines of spinning and casting rods also amazing. If youhave any questions drop me a line.Todd

@ eyefish....i've heard of simax myself recently but can't find much about them except for an extremely poor website....http://www.hongkee.ca/products.asp?id=169

can you send me some info or catalogue on their full line of fishing products?...right now would be most interested in the ML and L ice rods

as for the original post...i've been very happy with my st. croix rods, ice and spinning/casting/fly...every manufacturer will have a few lemons in its production...i've never called st. croix for a warranty issue, always just walked into my local shop and walked out with a new rod, no questions...but I am not a fan of the legend...my biggest beef with st. croix ice rods is i have found the actions to be inconsistent but not a big deal really, just go through the rods until i find one i like

IMO the best ice rods i have are st. croix premier and frabil ultra ice

Guest gbfisher

I had an ice rod break on me last week which I had replaced only after paying the shipping cost. I dont even know how it broke. I went to use it and the tip was snapped. :dunno:

I've had other St Croix rods break while trolling and making hard turns at high speeds. I'm very glad they didn't blow up with fish attached. :rolleyes:

I was showing my buddy what I did to break them and he laughed at the fact.and Wouldn't you know it. I broke another on just a turn showing him. :wallbash:

I had them both replaced with salt water serries beef sticks that have lasted now two seasons with no issue....yet.

My descision is still up in the air right now about buying more from St Croix. I think I'll try shimano next time. I have one I use for casting. Which I try not to do lol

Sorry to go off track here lol. :D

I think a simple stick is a good choice for ice fishing. A hand line and a gad even lol :D

A couple of winter back I treated myself to a St Croix ice rod reel combo because my daughter got me a gift certificate for a local tackle shop...and I didn't really need anything. Approx $70 for the combo.

The combo is my most expensive AND least favourite of all my ice fishing gear. Especially the reel...completely overpriced junk IMHO.

Never again.

My descision is still up in the air right now about buying more from St Croix. I think I'll try shimano next time. I have one I use for casting. Which I try not to do lol

Sorry to go off track here lol. :D

shimano float rods have the same problem. ask troutman1