Man Fined $3,000

TJQ

Man Fined $3,000 And Banned From Fishing For Life

NEWS

January 19, 2011

A North York man has been fined $3,000 and banned from fishing for life for failing to obey a court order.

Viktor Liakh was convicted of failing to comply with an order prohibiting him from fishing in Ontario or having a fishing licence.

The court heard that on May 18, 2010, Ministry of Natural Resources conservation officers from Aurora District were patrolling fishing areas in Toronto. The officers saw Liakh fishing and asked to see his fishing licence. Liakh produced a 2010 fishing licence, but further investigation revealed he was prohibited from fishing in Ontario and from possessing a fishing licence. The court had suspended his fishing licence because of previous fishing-related offences.

Justice of the Peace D. Keith Currie heard the case in the Ontario Court of Justice, Toronto, on January 13, 2011.

For further information on fishing regulations, please consult the 2011 Recreational Fishing Regulations Summary, available at ServiceOntario/Government Information Centres, from licence issuers and at ontario.ca/fishing.

To report a natural resources violation, call 1-877-TIPS-MNR (847-7667) toll-free any time or contact your local ministry's office during regular business hours. You can also call Crime Stoppers anonymously at 1-800-222-TIPS (8477).

http://www.thestar.com/news/crime/article/927471--north-york-man-banned-from-fishing-for-life

Liem Vu

Staff Reporter

A 61-year-old North York man has been banned from fishing for life after violating a court order.

Conservation officers from the Ministry of Natural Resources say they spotted Viktor Liakh fishing at the Holland River in Bradford last May. After checking his licence, they discovered that Liakh was under a five-year fishing suspension that was handed down to him in January, 2010 for casting too many lines.

According to Ministry of Natural Resources conservation officer Doug Poirier, anglers are permitted to cast one line in open waters.

Liakh violated this four times between 2002 and 2009 by casting up to four lines.

The Ontario Court of Justice fined Liakh $3,000 and banned him from fishing.

Poirier said the man can face jail time if he chooses to violate fishing laws again.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

i wonder if there is a legitimate reason he NEEDS to fish....maybe to feed his family? :dunno:

i havent read the STAR article yet....just blindly posting

lol...i have read the article....its an old post....

Edited by Twocoda

which raises the point of WHY?

i see stories like this and wonder if there isnt serious underlying issues...maybe mental or financial that he feels he HAS to break the rules in order to survive...or maybe he is just an idiot with no regard for rules :dunno:

which raises the point of WHY?

i see stories like this and wonder if there isnt serious underlying issues...maybe mental or financial that he feels he HAS to break the rules in order to survive...or maybe he is just an idiot with no regard for rules :dunno:

Seeing as the angler was using multiple lines I would suggest that he was trying to catch a large amount of fish. If he he could prove that the fish he was catching were being used as food for his family I could see leniency, and no fine. Given the consequences and the fact that if he is caught again he will face jail time I would guess that he was profiting in some way. That is pure conjecture on my part.

Edited by fishgreg