Truck through Ice on Lake Nipissing

Arty

wouldn't something like this have SERIOUS impact on the lake from an environmental POV??? I read once that a quart of oil in the water can produce oil slicks over a square kilometer area..

the owners should be on the hook for some fort of environmental cleanup or something along those lines...

wouldn't something like this have SERIOUS impact on the lake from an environmental POV??? I read once that a quart of oil in the water can produce oil slicks over a square kilometer area..

the owners should be on the hook for some fort of environmental cleanup or something along those lines...

Years ago some of the 2 strokes that burned a 40:1 ratio used to leave a trail of oil when you left the dock. Some still do it to this day. Yes the fluids in the truck are toxic (battery acid, coolant, hydraulic fluid (tranny and power steering), brake fluid, oil, etc.) but with the lake the size of Nipissing the impact would be minimal. Consider the fact that where the truck went through is where the sewage treatment outflow is. Who knows what comes out of there during periods of heavy rains or thaw.

If he has comprehensive coverage the insurance will respond, if not he is outta luck. Where you have to be careful is with snowmobile/ATV coverage, some companies add an "amphibious use excluded" endorsement. (but as we say in the industry, there is no exclusion for stupidity)

Edited by Landlocked

If he has comprehensive coverage the insurance will respond,

Thanks for the confimation, from the insurance desk, Andy. What I've always thought and stated.. but every year we get a large lot that say you're out of luck on the ice, which isn't the case... unless you have an old beater with PLPD only on it. (or you're silly enough not to have comprehensive on a new(er) vehicle!!)

Edited by irishfield

Son in a panic... insurance will cover it.. no different than driving in a mall parking lot that isn't "assumed by the municpality or crown" as a legal road.

Irish is absolutely correct :good: I checked with Mrs. Pikeslayer (Desjardin Insurance) and she confirmed that if his policy was current/valid with the appropriate coverage then this guy's claim will be accepted and processed. So I mention "great news, now I'll be able to drive out to Skeeters hut". Mrs. Pikeslayer tells me that there is no such insurance that will cover the beating she will lay on me if I even think about it :blink:

...unless you have an old beater with PLPD only on it. (or you're silly enough not to have comprehensive on a new(er) vehicle!!)

I drive my 2004 Explorer Sporttrac on the ice when I determine it is safe enough for me. I absolutely have comprehensive on my truck for the sole reason that I drive it on the ice. Costs me a few extra bucks but well worth it if I ever make a mistake with my judgement. I have friends driving brand new trucks out on the ice when they determine it is safe for them. If it is your every day driver and you use it for ice-fishing then it is worth it.

F.Y.I. I talked with Band staff at Bear Island today in Temagami and they opend the ice road yesterday morning with 8" of ice. I'll plan my trip for later in the month.

Edited by Nipfisher

Irish is absolutely correct :good: I checked with Mrs. Pikeslayer (Desjardin Insurance) and she confirmed that if his policy was current/valid with the appropriate coverage then this guy's claim will be accepted and processed. So I mention "great news, now I'll be able to drive out to Skeeters hut". Mrs. Pikeslayer tells me that there is no such insurance that will cover the beating she will lay on me if I even think about it :blink:

I am so glad i just finished my coffee before i read that, other wise i would have to see if my insurance would cover the computer from a drowning in coffee!!!!

:rofl2::rofl2::rofl2:

tell the wife you will get chauffeured out and back in.

027.jpg