the one?

ah_long

now... I know we all have many gear... different rods and different reels for different applications..

there's probably a few topics in the past that asks something along the lines of "if you were to only have one rod and one reel, what would it be?"

but the question is... is there any single set up that could work for multi-species provided that you use the right line and the right lure/presentation?

I've grown up with medium action 6'6 ugly stik w/ a daiwa emblem S that I got on sale @ BPS.. I never bought gear unless it broke..... that is until recently I went on a gear shopping spree..

are we buying just for the sake of collecting gear? or is there really a proper use to all the things we have?

sometimes I think a 7' medium action rod w/ a decent spinning reel like the Sahara/Sedona would do the trick for most fishing applications... as for the sensitivity debate, we always have braid and fluorocarbon

What are your thoughts?

My 7' medium action rod gets by far the most use, and my Sedona gets used for everything from ice fishing to trout and salmon stream fishing to walleye and bass in the weeds, I have caught musky on it as well and it has been flawless both with braid and mono/fluoro

Edited by daryl0815

What Blair said - and its whatever YOU like best. For me - 7 ft St Criox (used to be Fenwick Highlander II, but 2 broke when they shoudlnt have and I gave them up) with 12 lb mono and a fluoro leader. Reel - honestly, I haven't found any-one reel makes a huge difference, once you get out of the basement pricing. Any reel over $40 / $50 will do an adequate job. Lots of guys on the board swear by bait casters and their abilty to drop a line exactly where they want - I can pretty well do that with my spinning reel. My efforts to date with a baitcaster (not that I have stopped trying mind you) have been something between dissappointing and humourous - depending on whether it was me or the guy next to m ein the boat judging whistling.gif . Use what you can feel the fish with best.

Some good suggestions, for the "one"...Bill's for sure. My main reason for using different set-ups is to get the most enjoyment out of our sport. Basically the outfit that will give me the most feel---bite and fight, for the type of fish I am targetting.

I want to be able to have a good fight, but, be able to land the fish in a decent amount of time, should I wish to release it.

I, like many here, can't always afford the perfect outfit for each type of species, lure, line etc...but I try to come as close as financially possible.

I COULD use a 7 foot light action rod for steelheading, in fact I did a few times "many moons ago", but, I much prefer a rod of at least 9 feet.

What about you bass guys out there who like to fish heavy cover...are you going to use 6 lb test with a medium action rod? Good luck getting them out of there.

Yeah, we take it to the extreme at times, but, for me and many others out there, getting that new outfit (for whatever species) is almost like a kid at Christmas. :D

Edited by FRANKIE65

I can certainly appreciate some aspects of higher end equipment... moving from a Sedona to a Stradic Ci4 is a huge improvement for me...

but the best upgrade so far is going from mono to braid...

I stepped into the world of baitcasters this year and have yet to get some really good results... still learning the tips and tricks for it...

for me though, it seems that baitcasters have a stricter limit in terms of lure uses (weight) and needs to be tuned a lot more often than a spinning reel. So far I have failed to see the much talked about benefits of a baitcaster... maybe that would change this year

but for me.. if I were to fish with one rod and one reel, a medium rod w/ any 2500 spinning reel like some of u guys said would be perfect..

I prefer to use a baitcast reel over a spinning reel if I can. It all depends on the type of fishing though and again it's personal preference. For tossing cranks, or slashbaits or topwater to me, nothing comes close. I can cast anything from 1/4oz to 3-4oz baits with ease with my Calais, but it does need to be tweaked in order to do that effectively (VBS braking system, etc). I

I definitely have ONE favourite setup for each style of fishing ... but they are definitely NOT the same one for each .. and exactly for the same reasons ... confidence, practice etc ... but for me it seems there is always just one more new way to go after that new species ... and what the heck .. its part of the fun :)

if you can only afford one rod and reel then one is fine

but is there one rod that will do everything

well not hockey

but golf would you use one club ..you could but chances are more clubs will do you better same with fishing

if you flip banks for bass and stream fish for specks then troll bottom bounces for walleye

a few different rods will serve you much better

I can golf all day with a 3 iron Terry.. makes a good putter even... lol

then you should play in the 2 club event in the late fall Wayne... 1 putter and 1 other club for a full 18 holes.

as for the one rod/reel idea. like others have said (but this is my way ;)) 7' Med. rod, 2500 series reel with 20LB spider wire braid and use a floro leader (not all the time, it just depends on what you are fishing for). depending on what I am fishing for will depend on how many rod/reels I bring. a standard day on my lake is 3 or 4 rod/reel combo's because of what is in my lake.

Edited by GBW

I personally have 4 set-ups for different presentations/techniques (flipping/pitching, worm, crankbait, finesse), but if you were to go with one set-up I would look at a 6'6"-7' fast action M-MH rod with a reel with a 6.x:1 ratio. You can slow down the retrieve when cranking or burn baits back to the boat with this high speed reel.

Just my opinion -- everyone's got one...