SNOBLOWER QUESTION

moparhawk

AAAARRRRGGGGG!!! Bought a new toro powerclear 180 last season as it was badly needed. Lucky so far in that it hasn't snowed until now and we have a real pretty 7 inches on the drive. Well I never drained it or added stabilizer and it wont come close to starting. I did put it up with an empty tank and put fresh in but I got nothing after pumping the button a few times. Who better to ask whats next then you men. Any ideals what to do next? Greatly appreciate it.

You didn't turn the fuel c oc k (noodle LOL) off last year by chance...and forget to turn it back on?

Plastic key is inserted / or on switch in place so the spark isn't grounded out?

Fuel noodle? I dont think there is one and yea I made sure the key was shoved up its oh I mean yes its incerted correctly

Guest ThisPlaceSucks

as was mentioned by irish, there should be a fuel shut off...

i know this, because i forget to turn it on every year the first time i start the snowblower...

After trying to start it, pull the spark plug, if it's wet, then you flooded it. If it's flooded, pull it over with the throttle off and choke open, the plug out and dry the spark plug. If the spark plug was dry, hook the plug up to the wire and ground it by resting on the top of the engine and pull it over. See if you have spark. If you have spark, and the plug was dry, then fuel isn't making it into the cylinder. This could be caused by many things. Does it have a fuel shut off valve, is it on? The carb maybe dirty and plugged. Maybe you need to prime it more than you have been to get it to start.

Edited by Old Man

Found this on another forum. Maybe relevant. Sounds like a few issues with the carb.

snowdayzed

reply.gifRe: Toro Power Clear 180: Anybody use it yet?

Reply #54 Feb 25, 2010 10:34 am It would seem that the toro powerclear 180 has had its share of problems with the float pin in the carb. I myself have had the mispleasure of purchasing one. December 9th, 2009 my husband and I were at our toro dealer and saw this snowblower. He wanted to buy one so I would have a managable machine while he was gone serving his country over seas. on january 4th we found the puddle of gas under it. So like alot of others we took it into the dealer and the float pin was replaced and it was covered under the warentee. but wait. we hadnt had to use it for a month but yet on feb 17th we found another puddle of gas under it. Once again we took it back to the dealer for repairs. Its still there but they were replacing the entire carb. Just have to love this machine that has been in the shop more than it has been used on the driveway NOT. Did I happen to meantion I live in michigan. oh joy gotta love the workout from shoveling. Of course there is the problem that if anyone would have walked into my garage with a lit cigarette, pipe,cigar, match etc. can you say kaboom? I did notice though most of the posts i have read stated the machines were purchased in december. hopefully this problem is limited to one lot of parts. Hey, I can dream rite?

themoo

rereply.gifRe: Toro Power Clear 180: Anybody use it yet?

Reply #48 Feb 13, 2010 2:29 pm After a week, I got my 180 back with a new carb and carb kit. No charge. Snow is tomorrow. Bring it on!

Edited by Old Man

with a tecumseh it has a needle and seat . the best way to change the seat is to use a knitten needle make sure that the lines are facing you when you set the seat . then put needle in place .adjust float it's good to go.

Edited by wobbly

You appear to have a classic case of "stuck float needle". That's why it will run on the gas you dump down the spark hole for a few seconds and then quit. Are you mechanically inclined, if no, take blower to the fix it man, if yes, remove the float bowl and float, gently pull down on the needle, replace float and bowl, don't pinch the gasket. Go through regular start up proceedure.

You appear to have a classic case of "stuck float needle". That's why it will run on the gas you dump down the spark hole for a few seconds and then quit. Are you mechanically inclined, if no, take blower to the fix it man, if yes, remove the float bowl and float, gently pull down on the needle, replace float and bowl, don't pinch the gasket. Go through regular start up proceedure.

Thanks Fisherman. Well I just talked to a guy that services Toro. I guess the one I bought is a cheap one ($400.00) and has a chinese motor. Said he cant get small parts, best to put a new carb ($100.00) Very dissapointing.

Give it a LIGHT tap with a hammer... :w00t:

Irish, you are the man! Hello, meet Stanley!

Take care when putting these things away for a while. I've had my Craftman for 22+ years and it still run like new. TLC and it won't fail

I had a neighbour throw out a brand new, and I mean new (used once/twice at best; but stored wrong) MTD 6hp last year. I took it cleaned the dust off cleaned the carb, replaced the float + (a couple of guidance emails from Big Cliff) and off she went for $350. TLC is what it takes.

Good luck with it they are not that difficult.

Before you go putting a new carb on that thing:

Disconnect the fuel line at the carb and flush the line, even if the tank was empty the line could have had gas left in it. On the bottom of the bowl there should be a little drain valve to drain the bowl (just push up on it with your finger and hold to drain). that will allow the float to drop and open the needle valve (unless it is really stuck) fill system with fresh fuel WITH STABILIZER and you should be good to go.

I have the same unit purchased last year. Over the summer I received a recall notice regarding the float in the carb. I brought it to my Toro dealer and they replaced the entire carb, no charge.

i had a same problem with the poulan pro snowblower . it seems that there was a recal on the carb due to the wrong type of steal used in the float.

find the manufacturer 1 800 number and give them a call . ask if there are any recalls on your product number .

if they do they should fix it free of charge thats what happend to me "after i already ordered the 200 dollar part from the states ..

butt she is good as gold now .. hope this helps

You can remove the carburetor if you are fairly mechanically inclined and give it a good spraying of carburetor cleaner down the throat (opening) and shake it around a bit. Sounds like you have a stuck float, they get gummed up when the fuel evaporates and the oil mix stays. OR, you can spray Carb Cleaner down the throat of the carb with it still attached, spray till you pretty much fill up the carb and wait a while before you try to fire it up (an hour or two), add fuel with some Seafoam (on special at Canadian Tire this week for under $10) and try to fire it up.

IN THE SPRING, store it with stabilizer added to the fuel and run it for 10 minutes with the stabilizer so it can do it's magic in the carb.

you can spray Carb Cleaner down the throat of the carb with it still attached, spray till you pretty much fill up the carb and wait a while before you try to fire it up (an hour or two), add fuel with some Seafoam (on special at Canadian Tire this week for under $10) and try to fire it up.

Internal carb cleaner has to fed through the fuel line to the inner workings to clean them and release the float needle. Blowing carb cleaner down the throat with expectations of achieving that is like trying an enema from the wrong end.

Internal carb cleaner has to fed through the fuel line to the inner workings to clean them and release the float needle. Blowing carb cleaner down the throat with expectations of achieving that is like trying an enema from the wrong end.

All it needs is a bit of carb cleaner to get into the bowl to unstick the float. It's not an old machine so it shouldn't take too much to get it going. BUT, that said, in snowblowers in Southern Ontario, it makes sense to ALWAYS have some stabilizer in your fuel since the machines don't get used all that much. Most stabilizers also work to keep the fuel system clean so you are twice protected, hopefully.