Brownies & Chrome with Steve Hamilton

Aaron Shirley

It's been a while since Steve and I have fished together, and this would be a memorable day for both of us and his father Glen who joined us. I invited Steve and his father out to fish the Niagara River with me on Saturday, and we hatched a game plan. I heard the upper Niagara was clear, so we were all excited!

I stayed up late tying fresh goopy roe bags and watched the Leafs crush Atlanta! I don't get too see many games this year that are so lopsided (at least for the Leafs :lol: ), so it was a treat. A good omen for Saturday :thumbsup_anim:

We arrived at Queenton eager on Saturday morning, but to a muddy river choked with heavy ice flows :( This was confusing, as nothing warranted a muddy river in my mind. I believe it was coming from Buffalo, as above the dams was choked with ice and just as muddy. The upper river was clear on the ON side, muddy on the NY side.

We decided to try Port Dalhousie, and it was the right choice. We fished in the channel all the way out to the lake, and even drifted out in Lake Ontario itself hitting steelies and browns. This would be a different trip for Steve though, as we were not trolling :) Steve and his dad were excited to try something new.

We got pounded by two seperate snow storms which we kept fishing through :) It was a great day, and we got lots of strange looks from people walking the pier while we fished Lake O in a snow storm lol. We got lots of browns and steelies drifting fresh roe bags in pink, white and peach.

On to the photos. And yes, I did catch more than one fish lol, but my guests put most of the fish into the Lund when they caught on to the style of fishing :) Enjoy the photos, mixed shots from my cam and Steve's.

PortD_01_2011_01.jpg

PortD_01_2011_02.jpg

PortD_01_2011_03.jpg

PortD_01_2011_04.jpg

Snow squalls coming in on the horizon!

PortD_01_2011_05.jpg

PortD_01_2011_06.jpg

PortD_01_2011_07.jpg

PortD_01_2011_08.jpg

PortD_01_2011_10.jpg

PortD_01_2011_11.jpg

PortD_01_2011_12.jpg

PortD_01_2011_13.jpg

PortD_01_2011_14.jpg

PortD_01_2011_15.jpg

PortD_01_2011_16.jpg

PortD_01_2011_17.jpg

PortD_01_2011_18.jpg

PortD_01_2011_19.jpg

PortD_01_2011_20.jpg

Glen almost got a shot of his nice steelhead lol, camera shy fish made a quick exit

PortD_01_2011_21.jpg

PortD_01_2011_22.jpg

PortD_01_2011_23.jpg

PortD_01_2011_24.jpg

PortD_01_2011_25.jpg

Good fishing!

Aaron

nice fish but i think you crossed the line into loonyville. Of course you got to consider the source I am from a place were snow is a four letter word.(ssssh I know it has 4 letters but it would not be funny if I said anything else)

Art

Thanks guys, it was a fun day out :) Oh, and I use Rapala rods, big bucks Steve was using the NRX lol.

Blair, that fish was caught in the lake. A fresh steelie that will more than likely spawn in the early spring. Steelies you get in the tribs colour up and may be winter spawners, or just starting to colour up while getting ready for the spawn early spring. They don't all run the rivers and spawn at the same time. They are all different shapes, sizes and colours in a heavily stocked fishery like Niagara, Port D., and I'm sure have many strains.

wow you guys are hardcore,just when i thought i was hardcore you guys pull off a day like that.congrats on the fish and beaties they are.i know it takes alot of extra work to get the boat out this time of year so way to go guys iam glad it paid off for your work and dedication.i love seeing extreme in the sport of fishing.

When Aaron announced he was discontinuing the show, I, like many, was saddened. However, I knew he spoke from his heart, and it was the right decision. I also knew it was going to open up some fantastic opportunities to fish with one of the best!

I was fortunate enough to be invited to fish with Aaron this past weekend. Even better my father was joining us.

One of the best ways to build our skill as anglers is to fish with others. A day on the water with Aaron is a goldmine. I can't remember when Dad and I had so much fun just simply fishing together. Usually we are "working" to fish....this time we just sat back and relaxed. When the east winds kicked up, Aaron basically put 100% of his time and effort keeping the boat in position, and for that, dad and I thank him greatly.

Throughout the day we hatched plans for hitting other bodies of water, discussing tactics for many different species of fish...

we talked cats, browns, salmon, bass, walleye, hell, just about anything that swam...oh, and when your with the world record drum holder, you just can't go without discussing the mighty sheephead!

Aaron, again, thank you.

Edited by Steve

When I left your place that night Aaron we drove through some pretty heavy snow...until we hit Barrie, then it stopped (something does not seem right about that statement). Turn on the radio on the drive home to hear the announcer say "And now the Leafs have an 8 goal lead" (something REALLY doesn't seem right about that statement). Good on you guys for toughing it out, it clearly paid off.