Ice fishing on Scugog

GBW

I had some free time this weekend so I decided to hook up with a friend (young_one)and do some ice fishing. He got there before noon and set up after finding a good weed edge. I told him I would join him for the evening bite so, I get there at 4:00PM. As I walk up to his hut I see 1 keeper (in the 2011 zone 17 reg's) walley, a jumbo perch and a black crappie on the ice. He hears me and stick's his hand out from under the zipper door and says "you want a crappie?" (joking) holding a fish the same size of his hand. Back it went to live another day...

I get all set up and ready to go in search of walleye. I look over at his under water camera and see a bunch of panfish so my plans quickly change. I have never targeted black crappie before on the ice so yesterday was a first for me, crappie through the ice. We landed a bunch with only a few 'slabs' thrown into the mix. I will say this though, if you haven't fished for them, use an ultralight ice rod and small bait.

Now I cannot wait to get back out there and target some crappie again as they put up a good fight under the ice. Cheers.

I'm sure Will can add any pic's or video's he made too.

Geoff

heading out with someone from this board that i have never met--yet.

Dann, BRING THE TAZER!!!! ;)

just kidding, or am I... :whistling:

Have fun and post a report.

BTW, I think I may be 'hosting' an un-offical G2G on 'the bog' this Sunday if all goes well.

To those that I have talked to via PM recently about ice fishing, this weekend may turn into a G2G of sorts... LOL I will play it by ear as the week goes on.

Definitely sounds like a good few hours on Scug, crappie and walleye can be hard to find out there, tiny perch are everywhere lol.

I went there a few times last winter on the east side near caeseria, and only caught a few dink perch!

I am seeking some walleye for sure this year, this cold weather definitely makes fishing tough for me though. I havent been able to invest in a hut yet, maybe once I am back to work and they clear them out in the spring time!

I just got home from Scugog, and the bite is starting to turn on. Got a walleye and 2 slabs tonight.

All this week the walleye have started hitting 20 minutes after sunset, the bite last about an hour, then the crappie start up.

SSSSHHH!!!!

So I have the green light to do an evening fish on Sunday. Who's in? This way we can start a post to see where we want to meet and when. Send email's to [email protected] to be added to the 'chat'. Right now thinking Goreski's (did I spell it right) to be easy to find.

If we have a LOT of replies I will see what we can do for the $10.00 per car parking. My uncle has the chip truck at 7A and Island Rd so maybe we can park (depending on the amount of people) at his house and make a run or two back out to the ice. His house is closer to Goreski's then the chip truck.

I cannot be on the ice prior to 3PM due to other plans if anyone wants to get out and fish.

To keep the board safe and clean... This has NOTHING to do with this board (OFC)! This is just an open invite as I'm going fishing and if you want to come, it's up to you. Got Insurance? LOL

So far it's me, CCMT and lazlo meeting at my place for 3:00 PM and carpooling.

I have one 2 man hut, 3 folding chairs, heater, 4 combo's and 1 tip up. pack small bait's and if you want minnows, get some as I'm out.

Simon (limey) look at the video's young_one posted as that was the go to bait we used.

Who asked you???? JEEZ!!!! Shouldn't you be working or something?

he's asked me to reply to this because he's so busy. oh and he said it takes him a 1/2 day to do a full days work. OH and this just added as I type "if skeeter comes there might as well be a whole hurd of skunks on the ice".