Temagami Company Fined

Roy

Temagami Company Fined For Unauthorized Dredging

NEWS

December 30, 2010

A Temagami business, its two directors and an employee were found guilty of dredging shorelands and clearing land within a conservation reserve without the necessary permits from the Ministry of Natural Resources.

Fines for the offences totalled $4,900. Temagami Barge Limited was fined $3,700.

Raymond Delarosbel and Clifford Lowery were each fined $600, and Dashiel Delarosbel received suspended sentences.

The court heard that Temagami Barge Limited had applied for a work permit to install a marine railway for the dry-docking of barges on a site within the Temagami Island North Conservation Reserve on Lake Temagami for which the company had a land-use permit. On November 17, 2008, ministry conservation officers found that the three men had started dredging in the water and clearing the land using heavy equipment. The company had not received the required work permit.

Justice of the Peace Sharon Roberson heard the case in the Ontario Court of Justice, Temiskaming Shores on October 18 and 19, 2010, and delivered her decision on November 30, 2010.

To report a natural resources violation, call 1-877-TIPS-MNR (847-7667) toll-free any time or contact your local ministry officer during regular business hours. You can also call Crime Stoppers anonymously at 1-800-222-TIPS (8477).

Mike Regis, North Bay District, 705-475-5596

Mike Schenk, North Bay District, 705-647-6988

ontario.ca/mnr

Great to see they were finally convicted, although the fines are a slap on the wrist for scarring OUR Crown land. Clifford Lowery was the author/co-author of the Temagami planning act and the planning committee chairman when this dredging and clear cutting was done. He has a long history of "it's fine for me, but not for you" and they delayed the proceedings of this case long enough that he was almost voted in as Mayor in October.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 9 months later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 6 months later...
  • 1 year later...

Ya that's the place down in the hub. They are technically squatting on the land. YEARS ago their brother-in-law worked for the MNR and gave them temporary permission to dipense propane (ie. drop off and pick up their bottles). They were told not to put anything permanent in. So they immediately trucked in a two-story workshop complete with living quarters on two seperate floors. They have cleared land in the skyline reserve, set a fiberglass boats on fire, locked out the fire department when they tried to put out the fire (I don't know how someone can legally put a gate on public land). They had the oil spill into the lake (did ZERO clean-up and sued the adjacent Marina when they complained!), they put up signs illegally as well as illegal navigation byoys in the channel, they are running a business with no permission from the MNR and when they were told to get out they started a court case to stay there. They pay no property taxes (like all other businesses on the lake). They even put docks in and are actually renting out dock space on public land!! It goes on and on..... why people still do business with them I'll never know.

You'll find many of Clifford's clients (Ray unfortunately passed away) boats are TLA executive, past and present. Another "fine for us.. not for you" as I don't see this (private) crown access on the TLA's very short list of legal places to enter the lake. Same deal at "Camp Canoe"... nobody actually there, but 10 cars parked in the laneway to go elsewhere from their mainland dock.

The TLA was supposed to be an "Environmental Organization". It is simply another Chamber of Commerce to bring in Industrialization to the lake. Lake Temagami is TOURIST based: Fishing, kids camps, canoeing, swimming, camping, trails etc. NOT refirb operations. All the barge operators are permitted to use the Mine Landing to pick up and drop off items. Why Tem. Barge gets special treatment, I'll never know. They even had industrial landing permission for their own property, I don't know if this has been revoked or not.

Is no one at Camp Canoe now? I was in there a year ago and someone was in the main cottage. I guess it's gone out of business? Parking behind a tree line isn't a big deal for me - but someone who wages war on the environment, the very lifeblood of my community, and gets away with a slap on the wrist... well, that bothers me.

The TLA has his daughter working there and Tem. Barge is a benefactor of theirs. Looks bad on an "environmental organization" supporting a company who has been fined for environmental damage. Will The TLA take a stand and live up to their tennants - probably not.

Ray