Ice Road

DanD

Does anyone know of a site where I can get information on the ice road condition that runs between Virginia Beach & Georgina Island?

My Niece has bought a house trailer on the island last fall & has invited me up for a weekend of fishing.

So far they haven’t dared driving their vehicles across; but have seen the Natives coming and going in their vehicles, for the last week of so.

You would think someone like the MTO, MNR or even the school board (for the kids that live on the island) would be monitoring the road’s condition and posting it; wouldn’t you?

So far I/they haven’t found anything; other then the local’s word for it, saying “it should be ok”????????

Please I know; you’re never 100% safe on the ice and we're not looking for a guarantee; we’re just wondering if there were such sites with this or some form of information.

It’s not that we can’t get there, they have sleds & a quad; it just would make things easier to drive up to the trailer (If it was "safe") and unload all our crap. LOL

Dan.

I was up at Virginia fishing on Saturday and saw numerous trucks and cars travelling between Virginia Beach and the Island. There was even a huge trail groomer ventured out. Trucks were parked half way out beside the huts. I was out a mile and there was 8-9 inchs of ice. Should be more now. Can't guarantee safe ice anywhere but if you stay on the travelled road along the tree line there should not be a problem.

I dont know of any website for information on the ice road.

I was up there on new years eve when it was +6 and there were people driving back and forth to and from the island, to me that is just nuts. There was even some crazy guy driving around on the ice off the road and plowing through foot deep slush on top of the ice! there was 6" of ice everywhere that we drilled.

I am not guaranteeing anything obiously, but I would say that the ice road should be alright, but like you said, ice can never be considered 100% safe. There is a small bait shop and a marina right there, so I am sure that they would have a better idea than I would, and your niece should have a better idea aswell, if she hasn't braved it then I might be nervous.

My best advice would be to call the marina (705) 437-2533 or bait shop and ask them though, they will have up to date conditions, also see if your niece knows anyone who has the information, a neighbour or something.

Daryl

Edited by daryl0815

Thanks for the replies.

Well I be heading there on the weekend and I’ll likely be leaving the Avalanche on shore. Unless and this is a big unless the road looks like it’s been well travelled and I get a thumps up form the people at the bait shop.

Like I said it’s the first winter that they’ve been at this trailer and they didn’t want too be like sheep and try driving across because a few others were.

If the temps hold true to the forecast; it should be making ice all this week; so we’ll see when we get there Friday afternoon?

I like washing my truck; but the idea of the dip method isn’t very appealing.

The last time I was in a vehicle out on the ice; I had my window down and my hand on the door handle; planning my escape.

You see, I dive like a shovel and swim like a brick; right to the bottom, do inflatable CO2 vests work in the cold weather/water???

Dan.