Life expectancy for automotive headlamp bulb

okumasheffield

bought a set of GE Nighthawk headlamp bulbs $49 from CT 6 months ago to replace my burnt OEM.

even though they were not as bright as what the package said but were much better than OEM.

woke up this morning and noticed one of them was burnt.

should I expect to replace bulbs every 6 months or should this be warrantied under manufacturing defect?

Edited by Okuma-Sheffield

I've replaced one headlight bulb since I started driving a vehicle at 15 years old... I'm 48.

My F150 is now 8 model years old... my GMC Sierra is a '98 ..they have the originals in it..the GM has even had the front end creamed off it at one time!

and to think, he can fly a plane but cant change a light bulb? :dunno:

:tease::tease:

Hope u did not put it in with bare hands (touching the glass part).. something about the oils on the fingers.. causes them to blow due to the high temps.

could be an old wives tale... but it seems to make sense.

G

Edited by Gerritt

Hope u did not put it in with bare hands (touching the glass part).. something about the oils on the fingers.. causes them to blow due to the high temps.

could be an old wives tale... but it seems to make sense.

G

Yep, the oils off your skin will cause a halogen bulb to crack and die when it heats up. If you accidentally touch the glass portion of the bulb while installing it immediately clean it with denatured alcohol before using it.

I had the same bulbs in my wifes car. They lasted about 6-7 months as well. I paid $60 and returned them to ctc for a full refund. They have a one year warranty. The reason they burn out fast is because they burn hotter to produce brighter light. Oem lights last many years.

Edited by Rattletrap2

I have a sprinter with the headlights are always on and 6 months is about the life of them if I use the brighter after market bulbs. The confined space that the bulbs are in heat up to keep condensation from building up. Use the factory bulbs seems to last longer.

Art

If you look at the packages, they have a chart on the back that shows brightness level versus life expectancy. I went wit a pair of normal OEM equal lamps from Sylvannia that I bought at WallyWorld for about $20.00 per pair. The standard bulbs have the very longest life expectancy to them. I really don't notice the difference in light level.

The NightHawks were a little bluish coloured light from the blue stripe on them.

What ticked me off more than anything was that the drivers side bulb on her car is right tight behind the battery. It was almost easier to remove the battery to get at it!!! Luckily I could pull the car inside at work to get at them in comfort.

I put the Nighthawks in my car 4 yrs ago,and still going strong, not sure if it would have anything to do with,no DRL system in it,don t drive it when it rains,and seldom drive it after dark,and is parked in my garage from Nov to May. But they work great !

Okay so if you don't use the lights, I guess the bulbs will last a long time.. :rolleyes: