Gator Slayin'

DRIFTER_016

Got out to another new lake today and had some great action.

I've been driving over this lake for several years on my way to other lakes and have never fished it..........until today. wink2.gif

Todays target would be pike, and I had been told that this lake was a goodun'.

Well I was not disapointed. We pulled onto the lake and picked out a fishy looking spot and drilled 1/2 dozen holes covering water from 6 to 15 FOW and dropped baits. It didn't take long before I got my first fish of 2011, a decent 30 incher.

Duck_1_9_2011_8.jpg

Shortly after this on I got another an inch or so shorter and then a few little guys.

But the big ones were lurking as I had one attack one of the small ones I landed. My buddy managed this nice 36 incher as well as several in the 24 to 30 inch range and a bunch of smaller fish.

Duck_1_9_2011_5.jpg

I got a bunch in the 24 to 30 inch range as well as a couple of 40 inch class brutes.

This big girl came on a tipup in the first hour of the day.

Duck_1_9_2011_7.jpg

And this leviathon came later in the day on a dead sticked ciscoe on a quick strike rig.

She taped out at about 44 inches.

Duck_1_9_2011_4.jpg

Got plans to hit this spot again real soon. wink2.gif

But just out of curiosity, the temp was?

-16 and about -22 with the wind.

Nice. How many feet of ice did you have to drill through?

2 1/2 to 3 feet

Nice stuff! Warm day??? No jackets??? :dunno: :dunno: :dunno:

Jackets are for wusses!!!! :tease::tease::tease:

Actually I just ran out of the Frabill to get one of the set lines. wink2.gif

It's quite comfortable in the hut with the 14,000 BTU sunflower heater blasting. :P

That looks like such a good time. I can't wait to get big northerns like those through the ice. You have a good spot there. Just think of how well you will do there after a few more trips and more exploring. Make sure to go there for late/last ice. Keep the reports coming, I want to see more giants.

Luscious looking lucius there Dave! Thanks for sharing your outing and the great pics. Ummm is it just me or is the scenery getting bigger or are you getting smaller? Seems you might have lost a few kilos eh? Pounds also?

Luscious looking lucius there Dave! Thanks for sharing your outing and the great pics. Ummm is it just me or is the scenery getting bigger or are you getting smaller? Seems you might have lost a few kilos eh? Pounds also?

Scenery isn't getting any bigger I'm just not blocking so much of it any more. :lol:

I've dropped over 60#'s so far. B)