"New" lure Rip-offs?

Garry2Rs

Have you noticed all the recycled lure designs being promoted as "New?"

More upsetting is these copies are often four times the price of the originals.

To see what I mean follow this link ...Click Here...

Look at the venerable $4.99 Cotton Cordell "Pencil Popper."

This was originally a saltwater lure and dates almost back to the Arc.

With the current rage for big baits many anglers have started using it for bass.

Recently Ima, the Japanese lure company, released their $20.99 "Big Stick" and this year Paycheck Baits from California introduced their $17.99 "The One" pencil bait.

Tell me if I am imagining a design and pricing rip-off!

Next case, on the same page...The basic popper.

Although I have other makes, I still use an old Heddon Chugger Spook.

I once saw this lure listed in a 1941 Heddon catalogue, and it wasn't new back then. Over the years the design has been copied by everybody! I'm sure we all have at least one $4.99 Rebel "Pop-R" or $5.49 Strike King "Spittin' King" in our kit.

My question is, what's the story on the Don Iovino "Splash-It" @ $14.50, and the $19.95 Lobina Rico?

These are just two examples of something that I think I have seen in all styles of bait recently.

I'm not opposed to new things, I just resent being told Schmit is Shinola.

220px-Shinola.jpg

about the only thing they can change is color and detail.The basic model for most lures of the same type, is exactly the same.I'd hate to be a lure designertease.gif.I've noticed a few really revolutionary lures out there like Live target, and some ot the new swim baits, but in general, its same old same old.

about the only thing they can change is color and detail.The basic model for most lures of the same type, is exactly the same.I'd hate to be a lure designertease.gif.I've noticed a few really revolutionary lures out there like Live target, and some ot the new swim baits, but in general, its same old same old.

I don't agree with this at all. There some really fantastic lure innovations, and there are some really unique and highly refined takes on traditional styles.

Just saying there are rip-offs. Tackle Industries apparently makes really high quality baits (in some cases better than the originals). Doesn't mean they're not ripoffs.

I must stick up for Tackle Industries as they have never claimed to not modify other baits they usually try and make them stronger then the original but sell it to customers at a fraction of the other baits out there.

They have also always stated that there stuff is made in China they don't hide where its made or how tough there stuff is. I have a couple of there lures but not a lot of them.

I don't think it was fair to include them as they are not ripping people off for huge $$$ which this thread was started about. JMO

That's why I buy a bunch at one time if the price is good. Lures do't go bad with time. One of my favourite lures is the Storm Chug-Bug. About 5 years ago Lebarons had a bunch on sale for 3.99 each when the were going for 6.99 elsewhere. I bought like 50 of them. Still have most of them now. My favourite surface plug.

As for lure prices, I too am very disappointed with what is happening out there. One of my favourite platics is a 4 inch pink and white grub body made by YUM. Aboiut 3 years ago I picked up a dozen bags at 2.29 per bag of 25 grubs. That's 9.16 cents per grub. The same bag last spring was 4.99 here. Now the same grub sells for 4.99 for 15 grubs. Same price as the spring bag just 10 fewer grubs. That's 33.26 cents per grub or a 363% increase in price. I still have a couple of bags of the original left but eventually I'll have to pay up the new price.

Lure prices are starting to go through the roof. This once was a nice relatively cheap hobby. Now just getting started can cost a lot. Don't get me wrong, I don't mind paying for quality. 90% of my rods are custom made to suit me. I have reels that cost $700+ but $20+ for a lure?

I switched to plastics because it was cheaper in the long run. I fish almost every day from spring to fall and I loose my share of tackle, but being on a fixed income now makes it hard to justify a couple of $20+ lures lost each outing.

Thank goodness that I can go through my stash that I've squirreled away for the last 50+ years.

I've also started to make some of my tackle. Slip bobberes are $4 or more. For $8 I made 63 slip bobbers this winter. Enough to give some away to my neighbour's kids and have enough left over for the next 10 years.

Maybe we should be looking at making our own stuff. Lots of guys/gals make thier own worm harnesses because they can customize it and generally it is cheaper (saw some nice ones on a post today).

Just my 3 cents (price has gone up)....muddler

You're so right Muddler. Sail had Rapala DT's on for 3.99 last summer. I love those lures so i picked up a couple of dozen. Paddletales always has Chritmas stockings filled with end of line plastics and spinnerbaits for really cheap.Picked up a couple of those tooclapping.gif

I bought a couple of kits from Luremaking, and and a blast making those spinner rigs.They look silly as hell, but i bet they catch fishthumbsup_anim.gif

I must stick up for Tackle Industries as they have never claimed to not modify other baits they usually try and make them stronger then the original but sell it to customers at a fraction of the other baits out there.

They have also always stated that there stuff is made in China they don't hide where its made or how tough there stuff is. I have a couple of there lures but not a lot of them.

I don't think it was fair to include them as they are not ripping people off for huge $$$ which this thread was started about. JMO

You're right Mike - i did misunderstand. Thought the original post was about design rip-offs. TI is definitely not expensive.

As for their stuff....even if its better-built, the designs are total rip-offs. Hard to believe he can stay in business without being sued.

Sadly these companys see profit margins not quality. asian marketeers do not honor trademarks, copyright laws of north america.. resurgence of oldies as new, is just a new flair of hype. my beef is buying a lure,and it can not be exposed to sunlight or it warps or swells. thats unfortunaly trying to produce lures at a cheaper manufacturing cost.. the plastic shad raps from china are sad. the wire bends simply. i will stay with the north amerian products whenever possible. asian imports do not have quality standards.the newer better is in my humble opinion just another way to forcefeed fishermen. the fish will let you know.

Did you guys happen to notice that nothing by Spro, besides the Little John and swimbait series, looks original? They all seem to be blatantly copying what megabass has and then sells it for a slightly lower price.

BPS house brand plastics? I don't think there's a single one that they didn't copy.

Designs are constantly "borrowed", it just seems that if you make something look the exact same, sell for cheaper, you will be making lots of money. Have to admit I'm guilty for helping some of the copying companies though.

Anyone who fishes bass regularly knows, those minor variations in baits based on conditions are what makes or breaks a trip sometimes..

Spinnerbaits for example.. I can't tell you how many times I've outfished the guy next to me throwing a spinnerbait, simply because mine had real gold plating on the blades and buddy had brass. That little extra shine might seem like a joke to new fishermen, but to me having tossed a spinnerbait for 20 years.. it matters BIGTIME!

M A R K E T I N G!!!!!

Like Misfish said, in golf you need a new driver every two years, don't worry that it costs $500 or more with a custom shaft (and you only use the damn thing 14 times AT MOST). Spend on the one you use 36 times or more per round, the lowly putter.

In fishing, old timers had 2 maybe 3 rods that they used to fish for everything. Now, how many rod/reel combos do you guys have?? I'm around 14 or so not counting the 3-4 old rods/reels I have and no longer use. Hey, I'm legal to go golfing with that many rods/reels....... :clapping:

With lures, how many in your tackle box do you actually use?? I have tons that I have accumulated over the past 20 years that have been wet only once or twice.

There are sooo many copycats out there and "What's Old Is Now New".

Bottom line, buy whatever your little heart desires and GET OUT FISHING!!