Posession Limits-for non license holders

asdve23rveavwa

I too do not agree with the regs on this

I think that you should not be allowed to give "fish" to people without a license but rather they should be allowed to give only "prepared fish"

they don't need to be cooked but I think they should be cleaned and packaged to the point of being ready to be cooked, and they should not only count against your daily limit but should be your possession limit, till they have been consumed...

isn't going to happen but

I agree with the above post for inland lakes but NOT Lake Erie where many Canadian commercial fishing boats take perch and walleyes by the thousands......we need to find a fair and balance answer when it comes to Lake Erie.

Interesting subject..Here's a good question..every year when the ice is among us I like to go to the Port dover fish market and stocck up on waleye.. This fall i spent over $75.00 in waleye filets. We brought them home and froze thel all. The question is am I breaking the law in my posession limits? Sure hope not..YIKES! May have to get eating if thats the case.

That would be my thought. They sell yellow Perch and Walleye at Fortinos, Sobeys, Metro. Don't need a license to buy. I can see this is one of those hard to prove issues. I did reply on that other site.

if a person with a conservation license is NOT allowed to posses a muskie, then why would a person without a license be allowed to have one in there possession???????? :dunno:

thats like saying a person without a drivers license is allowed to drive a tractor trailer.

no license no possesion.

as per an mnr officer that i asked, if your kid under 18 is fishing with you then there limit is the same as yours, be it conservation or sport depending on what you have.

if a person with a conservation license is NOT allowed to posses a muskie, then why would a person without a license be allowed to have one in there possession???????? :dunno:

thats like saying a person without a drivers license is allowed to drive a tractor trailer.

no license no possesion.

as per an mnr officer that i asked, if your kid under 18 is fishing with you then there limit is the same as yours, be it conservation or sport depending on what you have.

and that is the problem with the COs, they don't know their own regs

that is 100% wrong for Ontario residents

Just remember folks that EVERY Ontario citizen needs a fishing licence to fish whether your're 2 or 80 ! If you are 18 and under or a day over 65 you must have sufficient proof of age with you and that is considered to be your fishing licence, as is a handicap permit for anyone in between. If you can't prove whom you are or how old you are... you will be charged with fishing without a licence.

If I remember correctly.. out of province anglers fishing with someone under 18.. their catch counts against your limit unless they have their own licence. There is no exemption for those over 65 from out of province. I don't have a reg book in front of me.....

Just remember folks that EVERY Ontario citizen needs a fishing licence to fish whether your're 2 or 80 ! If you are 18 and under or a day over 65 you must have sufficient proof of age with you and that is considered to be your fishing licence, as is a handicap permit for anyone in between. If you can't prove whom you are or how old you are... you will be charged with fishing without a licence.

If I remember correctly.. out of province anglers fishing with someone under 18.. their catch counts against your limit unless they have their own licence. There is no exemption for those over 65 from out of province. I don't have a reg book in front of me.....

I also believe that....

and that's why I said for Ontario residents cause I knew someone would bring up the nonresident card....LOL

Actually incorrect. Canadian residents under 18 or 65 and over are treated the same as Ontario Residents as far as licences.

Non Ontario and Non Canadian residents are different. Those under 18 may fish without a licence as long as they are with a licenced angler. Their catch is part of the licenced anglers catch and possession limit. An option for the non resiident under 18 is to buy a licence & have their own limit. Also available to them may be a Non-Canadian resident angling Licence for a Member of an Organized Camp.

Non-Canadians 65 & older are required to purchase a licence for Non-Canadian Residents.

The point of this thread has gone off topic. is a person without a license restricred to limits on how much fish he / she can be given? All fish are caught by licensed angler obeying daily limits and posession limits etc. and then given to someone who doesnt fish. Not for storage or anything else, but given away never to be consumed or seen by you again.And if ssuch a reg exists reference it for verification.This is to verify how only people who follow the rules are subjected to different rules the those who don't pay the fees we do for our hobby and then get snubbed by people for our hobby because its creul.

The point of this thread has gone off topic. is a person without a license restricred to limits on how much fish he / she can be given? All fish are caught by licensed angler obeying daily limits and posession limits etc. and then given to someone who doesnt fish. Not for storage or anything else, but given away never to be consumed or seen by you again.And if ssuch a reg exists reference it for verification.This is to verify how only people who follow the rules are subjected to different rules the those who don't pay the fees we do for our hobby and then get snubbed by people for our hobby because its creul.

sorry, i lost your meaning after "verification".blink.gif

So I go up to God's Country in northern Ontario and catch my limit of walleyes......I then give said walleyes to my wife who doesn't have a fishing license and continue to fish each and everyday for a week, thus repeatedly give my limit to my wife and she and I are legal.. :dunno: ..on the way home we are stopped....now who goes to jail....her, me, both or no one... :dunno:

I think I just found a loop hole on how I can get free room

and board in Ontario.... :o ....is the jail near a lake... :)

Bob

Another way is that my son and his girlfriend are staying in the cottage next door and I give said walleyes to them as neither of them have fishing licenses, nor fish.....are they legal to now transport the fish back to the USA and then give them back to me... :dunno:

So I go up to God's Country in northern Ontario and catch my limit of walleyes......I then give said walleyes to my wife who doesn't have a fishing license and continue to fish each and everyday for a week, thus repeatedly give my limit to my wife and she and I are legal.. dunno.gif ..on the way home we are stopped....now who goes to jail....her, me, both or no one... dunno.gif

I think I just found a loop hole on how I can get free room

and board in Ontario.... ohmy.gif ....is the jail near a lake... smile.gif

Bob

ya and compasred to your prisons, ours are like an all included holiday BBclapping.gif

Thought this one was finished, but, still some good points being made. It does get you thinking, and, yeah it really sucks that it provides a sort of "loophole" for those who don't follow the regulations.

I originally found this question on a great local forum, where many target Lake Erie perch. Great bunch of guys, many or whom are on this forum, as well. However, there are alot of fishermen down that way, that go out many times a week...are they keeping too many fish, not for me to say. One thing that does get me riled up is it seems the ones that fish the most (and usually keep the most) are the first ones to complain when the fishery goes in the toilet.

The regs were there before the licensing so that might be why they might seem a little off.

Regs were to protect the fishery, licensing is an unrelated money grab, conservation licensing is a trick to get support for the money grab and not make it look not so much like a money grab by sugar coating it.

Before licensing your catch and possession limit was the same but never enforced. If your limit was 4 fish, that was your catch limit, didn't matter if you threw em back or gave them away or ate em you were allowed to catch 4 then go home or target something else.

Unlimited catch fishing or C+R Was promoted in the 70's to help the tourist and sport fishing industry when the fish were no longer edible due to pollution . With fishing going from a food gathering system to a sport industry, the regs might not be in sink.

You can give fish away to someone without a license because fishing is illegal, not possessing fish.

From the Ontario MNR site:

http://www.mnr.gov.on.ca/en/Business/Enforcement/2ColumnSubPage/198397.html#giving

limits.jpg