Posession Limits-for non license holders

asdve23rveavwa

Just wondering if there is a limit of how much fish a person can have in there possesion if they are not a fisher person. i e if i gave my neighbour my daily limit of perch could he accept more and store them in his freezer? I'm not looking to break any laws it is a hypothectical question. Is there limititaions on game given to you, that is caught leagally.

As if I'd ever give away all of my hard caught booty. lol Just interested in your opoin on this topic since there is nothing in the regs

This question got me thinking, did a quick google search, look at the regs...didn't come up with a definitive answer. I'm sure many of us have given a fish or two to friends or family that don't participate in our beloved sport. When does this push over the line, or become a loophole for those that wish to abuse limits?? Things that make you go, hmmmmmmmmmmm

Although I believe Terry is correct I feel it should be a conservation licence limit. Why should they be allowed to possess more fish than someone who actually paid for a (Conservation)licence? :rolleyes:

Yeah, did a bit more looking myself. Think Terry is correct as well, but I totally agree with your point. One of the replies on the "other forum" stated that the non-fisher was to record who gave them the fish, as well as the date they were received. Obviously the best way to find the correct answer would be to contact the ministry...although they have given conflicting answers on questions before...

There are other forums :dunno:

A non license holder would be subject to the same rules and regulations as a license holder and that would be on the conservation side, I can imagine what some unscrupulous :asshat: would be thinking hey my brother or dad don`t fish so I can just keep piling fish in their freezer! :angry:

I too do not agree with the regs on this

I think that you should not be allowed to give "fish" to people without a license but rather they should be allowed to give only "prepared fish"

they don't need to be cooked but I think they should be cleaned and packaged to the point of being ready to be cooked, and they should not only count against your daily limit but should be your possession limit, till they have been consumed...

isn't going to happen but

It only state the possession limit for those that have the fishing license. It doesn't state possession limit for non-licenced person. Since it is not stated in Ministry, the non-licensed person can accept and keep as many fish as that person want. If you gave your fish away and you have less than allowable limit in your possession, then you're good to go. I don't condone it and subject to abuse, but that is the way it is written. It should be revised. This is only my opinion, and how I see it.

Please don't take this as hijiacking the thread...what about someone who is fishing with you that doesn't need a license because of their age? My 10 year old son, for example.... or my 67 year old dad....do they have their own sport limit, or do their fish count toward mine?

*Edit* I got off my lazy asshat.gif and took the ten steps over to my copy of the regs and see that my son and my dad are "deemed to be the holder of a recreational fishing license" and have to follow the same rules as the sport license.

Edited by johnnyb

I too do not agree with the regs on this

I think that you should not be allowed to give "fish" to people without a license but rather they should be allowed to give only "prepared fish"

they don't need to be cooked but I think they should be cleaned and packaged to the point of being ready to be cooked, and they should not only count against your daily limit but should be your possession limit, till they have been consumed...

isn't going to happen but

:clapping:

This becomes one of those things that becomes almost impossible to "police". All comes down to ethics, I guess. Figured it would make some good "winter fodder" for those of us who aren't/can't be on the water today.

Like I said there are always people out there looking for an angle to satisfy their own greed and yes your right the ministry probably should address it in and every other possible loophole in the regs,the booklet will probably be the size of an encyclopedia but so be it!

The question was referencing a non fisherman not a person that was not required to have a license.

It only state the possession limit for those that have the fishing license. It doesn't state possession limit for non-licenced person. Since it is not stated in Ministry, the non-licensed person can accept and keep as many fish as that person want. If you gave your fish away and you have less than allowable limit in your possession, then you're good to go. I don't condone it and subject to abuse, but that is the way it is written. It should be revised. This is only my opinion, and how I see it.

I believe it is stated in the fishing regs

just not in the summary with is what almost every person reads

the regs are 1000s of pages

Is there really a problem here? I for one just turned 65 and will be license free this year but I have no intention of changing my "keep" practises just because I'm not paying. I doubt for the puny difference in what we pay for the choice of licenses (and keep) we'd have gone the cheap route simply for the money saved. I seldom take fish home. In fact the only fish I keep are the injured ones and they get used, either by me or by friends. They're never wasted.

I'll admit I'm not a meat hunter although if the opportunity arose I'd like to try a feed of fresh caught walleye. I've never caught one to be honest, unless it was as a kid with my Dad. I don't plan to change my fishing travel habits just to decimate the walleye population though.

So I guess I'm saying this discussion is probably moot. Those who kept meat before will continue and those who didn't probably won't start. As for the no fee deal I guess that's open to debate but tradition dictates that us old farts get a few breaks. I don't feel guilty though. I've paid lots of taxes and gov't fees throughout my life. Maybe I've earned a break and a little encouragement to enjoy my so-far-not-happening-thru-personal-choice retirement. I'm not hard up but a lot of folks my vintage just weren't able to set aside much of a retirement fund, often thru no fault of their own uless you're being a real hardass with them, and they will have to forego a lot of the pleasures life has to offer due to the cost of having fun. Perhaps we shouldn't begrudge them this one simple natural pleasure.

Respectfully

JF

Is there really a problem here? I for one just turned 65 and will be license free this year but I have no intention of changing my "keep" practises just because I'm not paying. I doubt for the puny difference in what we pay for the choice of licenses (and keep) we'd have gone the cheap route simply for the money saved. I seldom take fish home. In fact the only fish I keep are the injured ones and they get used, either by me or by friends. They're never wasted.

I'll admit I'm not a meat hunter although if the opportunity arose I'd like to try a feed of fresh caught walleye. I've never caught one to be honest, unless it was as a kid with my Dad. I don't plan to change my fishing travel habits just to decimate the walleye population though.

So I guess I'm saying this discussion is probably moot. Those who kept meat before will continue and those who didn't probably won't start. As for the no fee deal I guess that's open to debate but tradition dictates that us old farts get a few breaks. I don't feel guilty though. I've paid lots of taxes and gov't fees throughout my life. Maybe I've earned a break and a little encouragement to enjoy my so-far-not-happening-thru-personal-choice retirement. I'm not hard up but a lot of folks my vintage just weren't able to set aside much of a retirement fund, often thru no fault of their own uless you're being a real hardass with them, and they will have to forego a lot of the pleasures life has to offer due to the cost of having fun. Perhaps we shouldn't begrudge them this one simple natural pleasure.

Respectfully

JF

I think it was directed at people who do not fish

do not have a license , because they don't fish

but would be over 18 and under 65

and receive fish from fishermen

that's how I took it

Every Ontario resident is entitled to a possession limit of whatever species regardless whether they have a fishing licence or not. The only caveat as I understand the current interpretation from one Conservation Officer, is that the person receiving the possession limit must be old enough to understand that they have received a possession limit and from whom. Consequently, I can legally give my own possession limit of walleye to my neighbour, my wife, my daughter or whomever. And once given, the number of walleye in my own possession is reduced to zero. The daily catch limit is not impacted by giving fish away. And no, this is NOT written anywhere within Ontario's fishing regulations.

I think it was directed at people who do not fish

do not have a license , because they don't fish

but would be over 18 and under 65

and receive fish from fishermen

that's how I took it

Sorry. I caught some of that talk but must have missed the real point. Is there a connection between age and giving away the catch though?

I remember meeting an interesting feller working at a Dick's Store in Cleveland who admitted that he was a meat fisherman thru and thru and not for fun. He had a trail of ex-wives and young families (a story in itself) that he was helping support and free fish was a huge part of the extended family diet. In his case though by the time he's retired his extended families will be self-sufficent. At least I hope they will be for his sake. :lol:

And given the difficult financial circumstances some oldsters find themselves in post-retirement I'm not sure I could be too critical of fishermen who try to help them out with some fresh free meat. As long as the resources are being treated responsibly I like to see folks living off the land, or water as it were.

JF

Every Ontario resident is entitled to a possession limit of whatever species regardless whether they have a fishing licence or not. The only caveat as I understand the current interpretation from one Conservation Officer, is that the person receiving the possession limit must be old enough to understand that they have received a possession limit and from whom. Consequently, I can legally give my own possession limit of walleye to my neighbour, my wife, my daughter or whomever. And once given, the number of walleye in my own possession is reduced to zero. The daily catch limit is not impacted by giving fish away. And no, this is NOT written anywhere within Ontario's fishing regulations.

I believe it is

if you give them away you can not go back out that day and catch more fish as you have already caught and keep your limit

if you caught and gave away 2 fish then for that day if you go back fishing, your daily limit is 2 less for that day

Every Ontario resident is entitled to a possession limit of whatever species regardless whether they have a fishing licence or not.

I agree but my problem is those with a conservation licence are restricted to conservation limits but those (18-64) who have paid ZERO $ & don't fish are allowed the larger sport fish limits.

the ontario gov sees it a different way

everyone can fish without a license and with a full limit

except people from the age of 18 to 64 who have to pay to fish

and if you mostly release your fish they give you a break with conservation license that cost less with lower limits

nice of them yeah

LOL

Interesting subject..Here's a good question..every year when the ice is among us I like to go to the Port dover fish market and stocck up on waleye.. This fall i spent over $75.00 in waleye filets. We brought them home and froze thel all. The question is am I breaking the law in my posession limits? Sure hope not..YIKES! May have to get eating if thats the case.

I believe it is

if you give them away you can not go back out that day and catch more fish as you have already caught and keep your limit

if you caught and gave away 2 fish then for that day if you go back fishing, your daily limit is 2 less for that day

Perhaps its just my poor writing construction Terry. Regardless whether I give my walleye possession limit away or not, I can not legally catch and keep more walleye on one day than my daily catch limit. That's why I stated that the daily catch limit was not impacted by giving fish away.

I'd like to make a second point. Not everyone can legally fish without a licence and with a full limit. While residents under 18 or residents 65 or older don't require a fishing licence to fish, those between 18 and 64 years of age do unless they satisfy some other exemption.