2007 GMC CANYON

Steve_R

Hi. Im looking at getting a used 2007 GMC Canyon or a Chev Colorado now l think the Canyon has a 5-Cyl 3.7 Liter and the Colorado has a 5-Cyl 3.5 Liter are they not pretty much the same truck and l was also wondering about the 5 cyl motor have not herd much about them? And also how are they on gas?

Steve.

We are using 4 vehicles in our fleet, canyons and colorados, and ford rangers with v6s and f150 with v6s all vehicles are ruffly the same in fuel economy, which our fleet manager says is not that great, guys with the chev and gmc are complaining constantly about discomfort and lack of room, more than any other vehicle weve ever used in fleet, also they sit very low when any weight is put in the box at all, and we are not carrieing lots of weight, so if you are going to tow with this vehicle i would give that a thought, smaller motors have to work harder, which means your usually on the gas more often, using more fuel. Im getting better fuel economy with my Hemi 8 cyl Grand Cherokee than with my company 6-cyl F150

I dunno about what was said above, i own a Canyon 2007. Love It!

Pulls my 16' boat no probs...and i drag my boat through the bush....NWO.

I can get to Winnipeg and back on a tank. Its a quad cab...plenty of room.

Its not very sophisticated on the interior compared to say a dodge or toyota (dakota or tacoma) the the straight five 3.7 is way better on gas ...i know people with both those vehicles.

Thats my take on it.

Once again my only complaints are to do with the plasticy interior and lack of bells and whistles for the price, but as a tool thats GOOD on gas in my experience its an awesome little truck!

My son just finished a lease on a Colorado and he had no problem with the truck, last week he bought a new 2010 Canyon with the 5 cylinder and the off road package, I would think you should be able to nurse 30 MPG on the highway if your foots not too heavy,the truck has a 5,500 tow rating with 240 HP and 240 ft/lbs of torque so it should tow small to midsize boats with out any trouble at all.

GM has some nice incentives on their trucks now if memory serves I think the truck was 25K.

It`s a nice looking truck and rides pretty good as well.

My son just finished a lease on a Colorado and he had no problem with the truck, last week he bought a new 2010 Canyon with the 5 cylinder and the off road package, I would think you should be able to nurse 30 MPG on the highway if your foots not too heavy,the truck has a 5,500 tow rating with 240 HP and 240 ft/lbs of torque so it should tow small to midsize boats with out any trouble at all.

GM has some nice incentives on their trucks now if memory serves I think the truck was 25K.

It`s a nice looking truck and rides pretty good as well.

Here are some ups and downs to the truck... personally i wouldnt buy another one.

I own a 2005 chev colorado, great truck...but ... there are soo many electrical problems.

problems i have been having:

air in gas tank

heater wont work(brand new blower motor, still no go)

signals will work sometimes and sometimes not.

The truck is always telling me a have a door open when infact they are all shut, which brings the interior light on when i stop at red rights(very annoying in low light conditions)

The cig lighter outlets will work sometimes and sometimes not.

Now for mecahical (my rating 8/10 for this truck, very good truck mecanically)

brakes, front and back last aug, fronts need to be done now as expected

left axle

I have driven this truck to Newfoundland 4 times with this truck

hope this helps. goodluck

I had a Colorado for 3 years and didn't have any mechanical problems with it. It was reasonable on gas, but not great. I recall it was less mileage than they claimed in their specifications.

I wouldn't drive one again.

I did not have the off road package, but I think that would be a minimum to even consider towing. I also did not ahve 4wd on mine, I would defintely reccommend it. The non-4wd one I had barely was passable as a tow vehicle for an 18 ft. aluminum boat.

I would reccommend against this truck and buy an older full-size for similar cash outlay.

Many users on forums complain about motor imbalance on the straight fives (had added weights or something added by GM) and valve train problems. Indicative of GM stupidity - they've probably got dozens of serviceable V6's kicking around and should have put one in these trucks. No one, including the German manufacturers have had much luck with running straight five engines.

I researched this vehicle when I purchased my '07 Tundra....Consumer Reports had a DO NOT BUY recommendation on this vehicle back then...don't know if that has changed or not since then as I no longer subscribe to CR...but you should for it's online subscription...well worth the few bucks when your interested in investing a huge chuck of change into a vehicle. The online subscription is much better than the magazine subscription.

From what I have seen the so called proffesional reviews are mixed leaning towards the negative but real reviews from actual owners at Edmunds and Carsurvey are much more positive.

Buy what feels right and if your buying off reputable dealer see what they offer in the way of extended warranties just be wary of some of those junk warrantie that small dealers sell.

Back in '05 i looked at these vehicles and many more. I found them very basic and uncomfortable for what you were paying. I ended up getting a Honda truck instead. I have never second guessed myself on that decission. Of the top of my head I think it was $5000.00 more than the GM? I found it way more comfortable. Great gas milage (better than comparing to a friends Vibe as we do the same drive every day right now?) Lots of room and plenty power and braking for towing.

I have talked to a bunch of people about the GM's because they did catch my attention. I've yet to hear any of them say they absolutely love the truck for more than scooting around town. One dealer in town has five of them in their shop right now for tranny problems so I have heard.

l have been doing alot of research online...and they havent been getting good reveiws. now im looking at the Ford Rangers FX4 Off-Road or the DODGE DAKOTA SLT. l tought buying a truck would be fun lol l just dont wanna get taken and buy a truck where im going to have to fix it all the time. :wallbash:

Steve

Edited by Steve_R

I'd be seriously looking at Tacomas if you want the best small truck out there (this coming from a guy who owns a S10 ZR2)..

The 2003 was the last 'small' Tacoma they made, but it was a great truck. My oldman owned one with the 3.4 and the 5spd, horrible on fule but what do you really expect.

Edited by BillM