Awee report with pics

misfish

I have to start off by saying,if you think just because theres guys out there on the ice,and think that it,s safe,think again.People were walking all over the place,many not even spudding where they were walking. Terry seen a guy go through this morning :w00t::o .Lucky for him,his buddies were close by.NO FLOATER. Skidoos were flying around and a couple of ATV,s.I knew it was going to be like that today. Just plane crazy. Im thinking twice about heading out Sunday.Where the sleds went,you could see wet tracks.Thier cracking the ice.

Ok so for a wee report.

Met up with Terry,Cudz and Jaydub.Nice meeting you Jay.Nice pop up Cudz.

20110108_04.jpg

20110108_05.jpg

We stuck to the main trail til we got to our second stop from yesterday. Get set up and didnt take long for Terry to get his fish.Nice perch in 70 fow.

20110107_01.jpg

The other two guys were also getting them.I caught a few aswell,also knocked off a 1.5 pounder at the hole. :wallbash:

Started to get a chill going,so had to get the flip closed and heater running.Gets nice and toasty in there fast.

20110107_02.jpg

Terry catching some rays. :Gonefishing:

20110108_03.jpg

Lots of people out there,,,,

20110108_06.jpg

Well thats day two.We decided to head in.Reallt didnt want to see an ATV or sled go in. :wallbash:

Have to wait and see about Sunday :whistling::whistling:

Fish that Terry and I caught were on williams and fat rap clown.

FYI

Drove over to BBP and BP.No one is out there.Appearntly talking to one local,guys showed up,but soon left.

Give it a week.Should be good for walking.

Play safe all.

Good to hear Brian. Not good about the sleds and atv's though. I am heading there in the morning with a buddy. Will have the blue clam guide out there. If your going let me know.

BTW how thick was the ice about?

Rob C

Edited by Rob C

it was great getting out with you, Cudz and Jaydub

but I have to say

People are stupid

I can not believe all those people walking out in ever direction without spuding

the atvs and the snowmobiles running around with no idea how much ice was under them

I saw one guy come from the other side of the lake and thought to myself, I am surprised he made it in one piece he stopped when he got closer to us and I saw that the guy had 2 young kids the the machine with him........moron

the skidoos and the atvs and the large number of people out on the ice was weighing the ice down and water was coming out the hole. they are creating a slushy mess on top that can make the ice even more unsafe

misfish reeling in a big one

DSCF4106.jpg

misfish gets one through the hole

DSCF4108.jpg

the equipment that is left on the ice when a guy falls in

DSCF4109.jpg

Good to hear Brian. Not good about the sleds and atv's though. I am heading there in the morning with a buddy. Will have the blue clam guide out there. If your going let me know.

BTW how thick was the ice about?

Rob C

Theres anywhere from 3 to 4 inches.But very inconsitent. The ice is soft.

Im on the fence post about heading out Sunday. I,ll pm in the am. Supposed to hook up with Andy again.

I knew someone was going to make a WISE crack about the gloves.LOL

Those are nice perch anyway....too bad no whities or lakers showed up...you'd think you were deep enough.

Craziness with the machines out there...weeding the stupidity out of the gene pool doesn't seem to be happening fast enough

Guest gbfisher

Theres anywhere from 3 to 4 inches.But very inconsitent. The ice is soft.

Im on the fence post about heading out Sunday. I,ll pm in the am. Supposed to hook up with Andy again.

I knew someone was going to make a WISE crack about the gloves.LOL

lol...there has to be spots with less. People don't fall through 3" walking...You guys are prrof of that. :D

Where that guy went in,was just north of were Chuck went in.Also if you look closely,you can see many paths made.Just one bad spot on the ice is all it took.

Terry I need a bigger fish to replace that one.DINKS. :whistling:

Edited by Misfish

Good stuff. Nice meeting you Terry.

We stayed out for about 45 to an hour later. I was not a fan of the water coming into my shelter everytime an atv went by. That guy was not too far from us who fell in. Still a bit shady if you ask me but we were more careful than most (except for that time all four of us were standing in a 6' diameter circle by my hut which had 3 - 8" hole bored into the wafer thin ice :unsure: )

We didn't exactly crush it out there but most perch (70' of water) were keeper size. Jaydub and I managed to take enough perch home for a nice feed. I actually just finished eating them and they were great.

Surprised none of us even hooked into one whitie.

This was my first trip out on the ice this year and I was trying out some new thing. My shelter worked really well and is a really slick unit to put up and take down. My new auger worked really well getting through the soft thin ice in about about 7 seconds, and my heater was about perfect size for the shelter.

Good start to the year. Look forward to fishing with you kids again.

Looks like fun.... about one more week for me, and I will be out there.

I went in for a "swim" a couple years ago off the pier at Port Dalhousie in FEBRUARY.... That was enough "cold shower" to cool my jets when it comes to winter fishing.

But then again, i just might go out tomorrow... after all, I just got back from my storage shed and got my rods and auger and white bucket :whistling:

Now I know why Brian is missing getting so many in the "net".. Leaf gloves...

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Great to see you getting out Brian! :good: Do you find that heater is enough for you? Certainly nice to warm up some noodles. Nice to see that you all made it out and got back safely. Thanks for the report.

Where that guy went in,was just north of were Chuck went in.Also if you look closely,you can see many paths made.Just one bad spot on the ice is all it took.

Terry I need a bigger fish to replace that one.DINKS. :whistling:

is this better

Untitled-1perch.jpg

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Great to see you getting out Brian! :good: Do you find that heater is enough for you? Certainly nice to warm up some noodles. Nice to see that you all made it out and got back safely. Thanks for the report.

It,s plenty for heat.I had it on high for awhile to get rid of the ice chunks that formed on it from being in the back of the truck during that newyears rain. :wallbash: On low it,s plenty.

No noodles,just chicken wings in tin foil,maybe even a fried balogna sandwich.LOL

Terry you know what,,,,,,,,thats the one I lost today. :whistling:

Edited by Misfish

Good stuff. Nice meeting you Terry.

We stayed out for about 45 to an hour later. I was not a fan of the water coming into my shelter everytime an atv went by. That guy was not too far from us who fell in. Still a bit shady if you ask me but we were more careful than most (except for that time all four of us were standing in a 6' diameter circle by my hut which had 3 - 8" hole bored into the wafer thin ice :unsure: )

We didn't exactly crush it out there but most perch (70' of water) were keeper size. Jaydub and I managed to take enough perch home for a nice feed. I actually just finished eating them and they were great.

Surprised none of us even hooked into one whitie.

This was my first trip out on the ice this year and I was trying out some new thing. My shelter worked really well and is a really slick unit to put up and take down. My new auger worked really well getting through the soft thin ice in about about 7 seconds, and my heater was about perfect size for the shelter.

Good start to the year. Look forward to fishing with you kids again.

That style hut is awesome to set up..taking down is easy aswell the only issue I have is once the roof and sides are popped back in it takes me 5 to 10 minutes to get it to fold up without binding.. Is there a trick to this that I am missing?