My "Nu2Me" truck NF

splashhopper

I mentioned to my wife in November that we better start saving for another work vehicle for me. My van's tranny was acting up and it would only be a matter of time before it was toast. ( 1996 voyageur... not worth spending $ on).

She mentioned it to her boss and the next thing u know, I am getting a call from him about a 2003 dodge ram.

They were just about to list it for sale and i got first dibbs on it.

Could I "afford" $2k for it?

Certified and e-tested

Full brake job all around

New ball joints and tie rod ends

New Snow tires

Full cap

Full bed liner

Trailer hitch and ball

3.7 V6 motor

Full tank of gas ( 130 litres! )

Oil changed every 5 k since new

Tranny service done at Manufacturer scheduled times

Oiled every winter

Service records to support all work ever done on it !

IMG00356-20101221-1053.jpg

Um... YEAH. But what's the kicker i asked.

He says it has high mileage due to it being driven weekly from North Bay to Niagara region.

Ok, I will "take a chance". :blush:

Now the down side:

No power locks, so i have to crawl "aaalllll the waaay" over to unlock the passenger door. :blush:

I have tools for my trade with me all the time. Power tools will have to go in the cab. ( I don't trust the "locks" on the cap)

But, I am thinking I will build something like this to go in the back to accommodate the size of my rolling tool box and have a place to sleep when I am fishing. ( out of site, out of mind for the tools) >>

truckcampingarticle0520046.jpg

Ooops... I forgot to ask if anyone else has a pick up truck that they use for their work but also want to use it for recreation.

I just don't want to have to take my tools out every weekend. But DO want them out of sight and lockable.

Any suggestions and or pics of what you have is appreciated.

Thanks

Splashhopper

When I was a seviceman for a new home builder ( many years ago ), I had a similar set up in my pickup. I had 2 sheets of 1/2 inch plywood with 2x6 framework between them ( 5 1/2 inches ). In this area I made 3 4foot long drawers that slid out the back when the tailgate was down. In the front 4x4 area, I had a door on top that allowed for storage of tools that I wanted with me, but didn't use very often. Total height was only 6 and 1/2 inches off the floor of the truck bed, which still allowed me to carry full sheets of drywall, plywood ect. I could also set up a full size air matress on top of it, with plenty of head room - for weekend get aways. If I needed the truckbed empty, I would slide the drawers out and put in my garage, then, with a hand from a buddy - the complete framework would slide out - within 5 minutes everything was out of the truck. Worked awsome for me and a few of the trades on site did similar setups after seeing my setup. Never had a problem with it and worked really well. The guy that bought my truck off me asked if I would leave it in the truck - and he put it to use. Sorry - no pictures - was before digital cameras.

Tracker (Don )

Edited by Tracker

Most auto accessory places have the door lock kits for about $250 or less and will install for them for $200.Do like I did and make up a wooden stick that I can reach over and flip the door lock on the passenger side to open or close it.

vance

Hey Splash...I use the rubber tip on my cane to whack the door lock down from inside and also use my cane to open the window a bit for the dog in my 1995 Ford 150 Enforcer...

Unfortunately I have to walk around to the passenger side and unlock the door with the key...LOL

I am thinking that one of my hard plastic grout sample boards will put the lock down, and I will just "have to" pull the centre arm rest up and crawl over to unlock the door. OR< I could "Just say NO" to passengers except the family of course, and my fishing buddies, and my volunteers buddies and...... :wallbash:

First things First... build the platform in the back... lol

When I was a seviceman for a new home builder ( many years ago ), I had a similar set up in my pickup. I had 2 sheets of 1/2 inch plywood with 2x6 framework between them ( 5 1/2 inches ). In this area I made 3 4foot long drawers that slid out the back when the tailgate was down. In the front 4x4 area, I had a door on top that allowed for storage of tools that I wanted with me, but didn't use very often. Total height was only 6 and 1/2 inches off the floor of the truck bed, which still allowed me to carry full sheets of drywall, plywood ect. I could also set up a full size air matress on top of it, with plenty of head room - for weekend get aways. If I needed the truckbed empty, I would slide the drawers out and put in my garage, then, with a hand from a buddy - the complete framework would slide out - within 5 minutes everything was out of the truck. Worked awsome for me and a few of the trades on site did similar setups after seeing my setup. Never had a problem with it and worked really well. The guy that bought my truck off me asked if I would leave it in the truck - and he put it to use. Sorry - no pictures - was before digital cameras.

Tracker (Don )

This really got me thinking... I just took a look and some measurements of the bed-liner.

There are pre-formed slots to fit 2x4's across the bed about every 2ft or so from the tailgate to front.

I may be able to buy some of those low profile rubber maid totes and just slide them under a couple of sheets of 3/4" ply cut to fit lengthwise for wheelwells :unsure:

My skill saw sits higher than my portable wet saw, so i will have to figure that one out... or just go back out there and measure the damned thing :wallbash:

This "can't be this easy" :blink:

Edited by splashhopper

This really got me thinking... I just took a look and some measurements of the bed-liner.

There are pre-formed slots to fit 2x4's across the bed about every 2ft or so from the tailgate to front.

I may be able to buy some of those low profile rubber maid totes and just slide them under a couple of sheets of 3/4" ply cut to fit lengthwise for wheelwells :unsure:

My skill saw sits higher than my portable wet saw, so i will have to figure that one out... or just go back out there and measure the damned thing :wallbash:

This "can't be this easy" :blink:

Had mine built (including the drawers) and tools loaded in a couple of hours - wish I had some pictures to share with you - handiest setup I have ever seen - and no more climbing into the truck all day to get tools out! Post some pics when your done - I would like to see how it turns out.

Tracker (Don)

Once again, a 6X8 or 8 or 10 or 12 frame, heavy duty drawer slides a 1.5 sheets of plywood and your golden. If you need a hand making it and don't mind driving to Hamilton, I can give you a hand in my shop to build it.

As a matter of fact with swing down legs it could turn into a work surface as well.

Where would I buy those ?

Any car audio/alarm shop will have them.

Aftermarket actuators go for about $30 each then you need harnesses a relay and switch.

I think I may have a kit around here somewhere.

I'll let you know if I find it.

Edited by DRIFTER_016