Terrova with Lund 1625 Rebel XL sport

devy

Great to see such a site available for info!

I currently own a 2009 Rebel XL 1625 sport model. Currently have the motorguide 46 lb bow mount but after touring this fall with guys who had the Lund 2025 Pro sport and 101 lb thrust Terrova, am interested.

Considering getting the 80 lb 24 volt system. Confirmed with Lund that could put a 24 volt system in my battery box.

Have been trolling with my 50 hp Merc 2 stroke and know that not good for the plugs etc as well as use of fuel .

My question is that if there is a good chop on the water, would the Terrova 80 be enough to troll with ( I find with the 46 that is questionable). I generally work around structure. Or, should I change my main motor to a 4 stroke 60/70 Yamaha or Mercury or 75 Optimax instead? I am fine with the top end speed of my 50 ( 32-33 mph) and more concerned about trolling/working structure. I know the the electric is quieter so would the 80 be good enough?

Thanks to everyone for their input!!

devy

I have an 18' Fisher with a 90 Merc 2 stroke that I have been trolling with for 20 years. It does troll a little rough and when I have the $$$ it will be upgraded to a 115 hp 4 stroke. On the bow I have an 80# Minn Kota for positioning, walley trolling around structure and working my way around pike bays. I also use the electic when controlled drift fishing. When trolling for lakers I use the outboard whether it be off shore or around structure, my electric is for positioning and slow trolling for walleye only.

It's tough to hold a heading when trolling with a bowmount of any kind in windy/choppy conditions (it seems the wind is never working with/for you :angry: ). You'll drain a lot of juice out of both batteries and they will require frequent charging (been there, done that, bought a Honda 4 9.9).

IMHO anyways.

Regards, & welcome to the site.

Pikeslayer

Thanks for the info and suggestions. I am usually fishing for walleye or bass and like working structure. Looking at getting a new 4 stroke to replace the 2 stroke as I know they are better on gas. currently have a 50 merc, my boat max is 75- . Looking at 75 Optimax but realizing a lot more heavy then say the 60 or 70 yamaha or 60 merc. When I went out with the guys with their terrova I really liked the autopilot feature so that you can concentrate on fishing and let the boat keep you on course. But my concern is how much rough water can it handle ( as mentioned in this topic) .

with my 60 merc 4stroke i can only troll down to 2.3mph (tracker targa 16), have to use 2 5gallon pails to slow me down to 1.5mph. so switching to a merc 4stroke is out for you. look at other manufactures and see if they come with a something that would allow you to control the rpms to go below "normal idle" rpm's. i dont know if im making sense here or not :dunno:

A buddy of mine has a Terrova 80 w/ iPilot on his 17' Crestliner with a 115 Johnson. That boat's a tank but the electric pulls it great even in 25-30km winds. When it's windy, the boat can still get up to 2mph+ at only around 40% power. If the wind was blowing 20kph, you could probably still troll at 1.5mph at 50% power or less.

Edited by pigless

i have an 80lb terrova on a stratos excursion at around 18 feet and 2200 lbs. the 24 volt system has plenty of power for my boat in any weather, and the batteries last for an entire weekend of fishing without a charge. i can set the bow mount motor straight and steer with the big motor on long trolling runs. get the autopilot if you dont want to mess around. i do alot of structure fishing with this setup. just a thought if you are constantly pulling the electric in and out the terrova has no assist, if you haven't got the terrova yet you may want to consider the maxxum in the 80 lb class.....

welcome to the board

oh and my 115 2stroke johnson has incredible fuel economy even vs a 4stroke

Edited by smally21

with my 60 merc 4stroke i can only troll down to 2.3mph (tracker targa 16), have to use 2 5gallon pails to slow me down to 1.5mph. so switching to a merc 4stroke is out for you. look at other manufactures and see if they come with a something that would allow you to control the rpms to go below "normal idle" rpm's. i dont know if im making sense here or not :dunno:

Yep, get yourself a Yamaha.

They have their "variable trolling system" which allows you to adjust the RPM between 650 and 900 in 50 RPM increments.

Yamaha 60hp Outboard

Again thanks for the help. Am leaning more towards the Yamaha 60 or 70 as mentioned with the ability to troll down the rpms.

Decision was made re trolling motor got a new toy!! Terrova 80 lb us2 i pilot. Will my boat should pull around nicely. Will be able to plug in my Lowrance hds as well. Only have to rewire for 24 volt, add fuse breaker, change plug in in bow and mount ( with quick release). - a spring project

Thank you all. a Great Site. Hope I can contribute!

You will enjoy the iPilot on your Rebel, I do. I also have a 1625 XL SS, last spring I picked up the minnkota as soon as I could get a hold of one. I installed it and ran new wiring for the 24 volt system including this ( http://www.minnkotamotors.com/products/accessories/marine/circuit_breaker.aspx ) the ciruit breaker and this ( http://www.minnkotamotors.com/products/accessories/marine/plug_and_receptacle.aspx ) the plug. Make sure to get the "MKR-18A allows for 6-gauge wire connection" part that allows 6 gauge wire to be connected correctly. I have two optima batteries in the spot where the one was for the original trolling motor. iPilot is great for a lot of things, I can get the boat up to 3.5 mph and it lasts more then a couple days fully charged. Last year I barely used my 60 merc at all, having to much fun with the trolling motor. If you have any questions let me know.