Police question?

bassmaster4

Time to read up on case law...courts have ruled that a brief detention is not a violation of charter rights...so talking to someone isn't a violation of the charter

Um, unless you are charging with me a summary offense in which I'm required by law to give you my name and address, I don't have to answer a single question you ask me.

You could try all you'd want though, I'd probably just smile and continue to eat my lunch.

Some of this stuff is unbelievable.

The right to vote is given to everyone pretty well eh? I guess this thread answers a few questions....

Carry on, I'm just speechless here. This too shall pass.

Ya got that right Roy.. but please don't lock it before Terry gets in his "where are you going" rant!! LOL

Let's keep this a dignified discussion, FishnAutographs is not the only LEO on the board, but he seems to take most of the heat. I am enjoying the back and forth of two different veiws.

A civil discussion will do more good than a lopsided rant fest.

So you be offended if I came up and asked how you were doing...wow such a travesty of justice lol

Walking up to my car in the middle of a parking lot just to ask how I'm doing?

Yeah, please see my previous reply, lol.

Now, if I was on the riverbank fishing and you came up in uniform, I'd crap talk for hours if you wanted :)

Okay I'll give you guys a basic idea/scenario

For those who live near/in Woodbridge will be familiar with the plaza at hwy 7 and woodstream...plenty of people hanging out there...

I'd drive in and park

I see three guys sitting in their honda civic, engine on, windows down and its -5 out...strange right? Maybe not, but windows down means their smoking right? So I walk over and talk to them

Me: hey guys how are ya tonight?

Kids: good

Me: what are you up to tonight?

Kids; just grabbed a coffee and having a cigarette

I don't see or smell anything but coffee and cigarette smoke

Me: have a good night guys, stay warm

9 times out of 10 this is the extent of the conversation. Not lengthy, not a violation of their rights.

By all means they don't have to answer anything, but most of the time I gets answers like that.

Walking up to my car in the middle of a parking lot just to ask how I'm doing?

Yeah, please see my previous reply, lol.

Now, if I was on the riverbank fishing and you came up in uniform, I'd crap talk for hours if you wanted :)

No but if you were a business owner and had 3 guys parked in a van behind your place of business at 9pm when you've left for the day, you'd probably want them spoke to right?

This has just baffled me on a few accounts.

First, really? no followup from the lad with the gun in the face? If I was doing nothing wrong and this happened to me, someone would be answering a few questions about a gun pointed at me.

Secondly, I cannot fathom that the act of sitting in a car eating outside an eatery is ground for suspicion. Seems to me innocent until proven guilty is reversed in the mind of some on this issue, I do this frequently, as I prefer to not eat and drive thus inevitably wearing lunch. I get it people smoke drugs in cars, but when did sitting in a vehicle (especially since cell phones and driving are now illegal) become such a suspicious act. If law enforcment did feel the need to walk up and ask me how my lunch was, I would certainly expect it be done with a little more decorum, than the story presented here.

WOW this just keeps getting better

since I said I coud argue it both ways I am going to get on FishnNAutographs's side becasue nobody else is.....

Our society stinks, unfortunately that's just the way it is. There are far too many dishonest and crazy people out there not doing anyone any good. If I have to have a cop walk up on me and ask me how my day is while I am eating a slice in order to help get them off the streets or stop a crime I am certainly OK with that. Why do you care? unless ofcourse you have something to hide.........

There's nothing illegal or against anyones rights if I go talk to someone...

Honestly 75% of my drug arrests are found by walking up to kids in parked cars...

Its called profiling, anf its effective.

I'm 100% behind asking a few questions politely, and say keep up the good work.

I have NOTHING to hide, I'm hard done by, or put out by a few simple questions, no rights violated.....

Its a very small price to pay for a bit of security on the streets IMO, and I'd be happy to see it done more often.

Sometime we get our backs up over the smallest things....its a couple of questions, not a detention LOL....

WOW this just keeps getting better

since I said I coud argue it both ways I am going to get on FishnNAutographs's side becasue nobody else is.....

Our society stinks, unfortunately that's just the way it is. There are far too many dishonest and crazy people out there not doing anyone any good. If I have to have a cop walk up on me and ask me how my day is while I am eating a slice in order to help get them off the streets or stop a crime I am certainly OK with that. Why do you care? unless ofcourse you have something to hide.........

IMHO, what everyone is objecting to is the percieved attitude of some police officers that something is supicious, ergo something is wrong. We as the general public, do not share that same perception, as it is beyond our normal day to day experience. Unfortunately, in the work they do it is rare for them to see the good in people that they deal with.

Okay I'll give you guys a basic idea/scenario

For those who live near/in Woodbridge will be familiar with the plaza at hwy 7 and woodstream...plenty of people hanging out there...

I'd drive in and park

I see three guys sitting in their honda civic, engine on, windows down and its -5 out...strange right? Maybe not, but windows down means their smoking right? So I walk over and talk to them

Me: hey guys how are ya tonight?

Kids: good

Me: what are you up to tonight?

Kids; just grabbed a coffee and having a cigarette

I don't see or smell anything but coffee and cigarette smoke

Me: have a good night guys, stay warm

9 times out of 10 this is the extent of the conversation. Not lengthy, not a violation of their rights.

By all means they don't have to answer anything, but most of the time I gets answers like that.

They're just waiting for more Hondas to come so they can go racing. Just ask my 90-year-old mother who lives in the complex south of the school on Martingrove what goes on in the middle of the night.

That stretch of road has seen more that one casualty . . .

And yes sitting in a vehicle can be seen as suspicious

I'm not psychic so I don't know what people are up to so if I see two guys in a car then I'm goong to see what they're up to. If they're eating lunch then that's fine but if they're doing something they're not supposed to? Then what?

Perhaps if an old man in a van is parked outside of a plaza across the street from your childs elementary school then he shouldn't be talked to either...

Heading out to subway to get a bite in a few minutes. Was going to eat my sandwich in the car (the tables inside are usually pretty full) but maybe not. The last thing i want to do is scare the people in my neighbourhood with criminal-like behaviour.

They're just waiting for more Hondas to come so they can go racing. Just ask my 90-year-old mother who lives in the complex south of the school on Martingrove what goes on in the middle of the night.

That stretch of road has seen more that one casualty . . .

And that's why I'm around there on Friday nights...lotsa tickets to write there

It's a funny world. A lot of people are ready to call foul if approached by a peace officer, but if an officer passed on checking out a group/individual park in a car and then that group/individual committed a serious crime, the same group would cry "Where Were the Cops?". You can't win.

Heading out to subway to get a bite in a few minutes. Was going to eat my sandwich in the car (the tables inside are usually pretty full) but maybe not. The last thing i want to do is scare the people in my neighbourhood with criminal-like behaviour.

Make sure you wear your ski mask and trench coat

Ya got that right Roy.. but please don't lock it before Terry gets in his "where are you going" rant!! LOL

Wayne don't get me started on that one..LOL

I didn't mind getting stopped for a ride check (that much)

but then to ask me where I am going... and I say any where I want

he says I asked you were are you going

and I say anywhere I want , , it's a free country .......

and it went down hill from there

Edited by Terry

Officer Cliff Tate here in Lindsay deserves a commendation for the way he helped me when I found my brother-in-law had passed away. I'll never forget him for what he did for me.

You guys can think what you want but I have nothing but respect for them!

This thread seemed resolved long ago but i would agree with Big Cliff, any cops i have interacted with has been genuinely positive.

When my sister died in a car accident, the officer who came to my workplace told me and quietly and compassionately led me through this nightmare(coroners office, then parents to break news, etc). I will never forget this person and the help they gave me, kinda like an angel.