Simcoe Herring

Headhunter

I have been Perch fishing on Simcoe for many a year, but I have never caught a Herring until this year, where I have caught four in two trips. Actually we saw a few schools go right under our holes on my last trip out. All were released in a timely manner.

Do my results mirrow yours? Do you think that maybe we'll see the moritorium on Herring lifted in the next few years?

Just wondering out loud here!

HH

I'm no biologist but it seems the simcoe herring have come back to a healthy level. Already seen a few pulled out perching in cooks this year. Last year caught quite a few whitie and laker fishing and many times had massive schools cruse by under the ice. Seen some pretty good sized ones as well like 2lb+. You would think they will be having a limit on them soon, not that i care to target them.

I think the problem is there are only 2 different year class of herring, which is not enough to call it a successful come back

a few more years of successful spawning and I think you will see it open

Edited by Terry

Perhaps you're right Terry. That being said last year we had a massive school pass underneath me and a buddy. We watched down the whole for about 5 minutes as they passed and i recall seeing small like 8" to bigger i would say 2 pound or so herring. One thing we can agree on is that its definatly a positive sign.

Guest gbfisher

I agree with Terry. They're definitely making a comeback but they're not at a level yet to lift the ban. Give it a few more years and we may see a small limit on them. The herring coming back is only aiding the laker fishery!

There are so many Herring that come spring you cant keep the riggers set cause the dam herring are hitting to much.

They could open it and there has been talk the passed couple years about doing just that. A small limit though and why bother. They're only good for Trout bait... ;)

They can be a pain to the point you have to move. Not that moving is a problem. On Simcoe it's the KEY!

Guest gbfisher

Wonder if they will also help with the musky rehab?

What rehad?... :rolleyes: No fish this year!

With the amount they introduce it would take two life times to do anything. Not to mention the harm that comes to the places they take them from. Not worth it in my opinion. :glare:

Guest gbfisher

by themselves maybe :D .....just like the herring,whitefish,trout,bass, perch etc.

The OMNR is lacking in regards to fishing if you ask me. Funding might help some.

...I know...No one asked... :lol:

Oh, here is a good one. I have fished Simcoe for quite some time. Lets say the better part of 25 years. I have caught a total of 1 herring. Weird.

I've fished for Perch for quite a few years and this is the first time I have every caught one... and I've caught four and seen nine caught in two trips to Cook's Bay this year.

Just sayin

HH

~~~Back in the 50s as a kid we phished for them off Minetes Point look down the hole and watch giant schools swimming around, and we would be using barley for bait, dropping it down the holes, and using a treble hook with a pearl attached, you could catch a bushel a day, and that why we needed to ban phishen for them, and I still believed the ban should stay in place, for a few more years, then have a set limit on them

Herring is a new thing for me, so I have a question for you "old timers".... so to speak!

How do you prepare them, assuming you were keeping them for the table?

Are tehy good table fare... I sure do like pickeled Herring!

Just curious...

HH

I've caught one herring on Simcoe while laker/whitie fishing a few years ago. I know a guy who caught ninety-six (not kept) in an hour once back when there was no limit on simcoe. Supposedly really dumb fish that once a large school comes they will hit anything as fast as your line can get near them. Never eaten one but I know they are great smoked. Easy to catch and great to eat is a bad combo for any fish.

Edited by Beats